Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Groaning noise

Ryan Mc

9 hours ago, Thackeray said:

Interesting to hear this idea. What's the reasoning behind it?

The rear brakes do not get the use and the slider pins can seize. The regenerative braking does most of the normal braking. If the transmission is in neutral the regenerative braking is disabled. Rear brake issues caused by lack of use are fairly common. Had to have my pins serviced as the nearside rear brake was not working - indicated by rust on the disc.

52 minutes ago, Riccccccardo said:

Wellllllll I blaze my cars Mark Levinson 15 speaker 835 watts system like I’m in a nightclub best system I’ve ever had it’s so powerful it’s shocking on my prev audi 220 watts I had all the setting up when I tried the same thing in the Lexus almost blew my ears out so now only have bass one above normal all I can take 🤣

The image.png.435dc7327b10b3b1a0eff892561e55c6.png sure is great, but, would 835 watts power use not drain the Battery faster than the engine can supply it?

I rarely have it above level 30.

8 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

The image.png.435dc7327b10b3b1a0eff892561e55c6.png sure is great, but, would 835 watts power use not drain the battery faster than the engine can supply it?

I rarely have it above level 30.

On my previous car Audi first thing I did was purchase the largest most powerful battery money could buy and it was a five year Battery around £180 I think from Halfords. due to knowing how loud I play my music and the Battery drain lol as a result the Battery lasted only four years and Halfords had to change for free so the next owner will get another five years Battery use lol with this car I have now it is troubling me how to deal with this again as I have no history of when the current Battery was last changed but what I mite do is ask Lexus service centre to test the Battery life to see how much I have left. Lexus have quoted me £235 I think for a new boot Battery bit of a headache spending that money but again ill want the most powerful five year Battery I can get in the UK.

13 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

The regenerative braking does most of the normal braking. If the transmission is in neutral the regenerative braking is disabled.

I'm not familiar with the setup of the RX400h transmission. I thought the transmission drove the front wheels so the regenerative braking would be on the front wheels. Am I right in thinking there's another electric motor on the rear wheel? I had assumed this was just a motor rather than a generator. Does this act as a generator too when braking, so that the mechanical brakes on the rear also don't have to operate so much? Apologies if I've misunderstood the setup on this car.

3 hours ago, Thackeray said:

I'm not familiar with the setup of the RX400h transmission. I thought the transmission drove the front wheels so the regenerative braking would be on the front wheels. Am I right in thinking there's another electric motor on the rear wheel? I had assumed this was just a motor rather than a generator. Does this act as a generator too when braking, so that the mechanical brakes on the rear also don't have to operate so much? Apologies if I've misunderstood the setup on this car.

Both electric motors act as generators. I believe that mechanical braking takes place at less than 5 mph. Also if you brake hard. Others will correct me if I am wrong. In normal driving the regenerative braking does most of the work. One member on here got an incredible mileage out of their brake pads before they needed replacing.

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Both electric motors act as generators. I believe that mechanical braking takes place at less than 5 mph. Also if you brake hard. Others will correct me if I am wrong. In normal driving the regenerative braking does most of the work. One member on here got an incredible mileage out of their brake pads before they needed replacing.

Many thanks for that. I hadn't realised the rear motor was also a generator. So there are three motor/generators - MG1, MG2 and MGR. I've now found a detailed description of this setup, with the P310 transmission on the front and the Q211 on the rear. This video goes into the details of how it works.

Considering the technology is over 15 years old, I am still blown away with how well it works. After reading criticisms of the CVT gearbox, I was a bit sceptical but quite frankly I find it excellent. It is smooth and seamless. The video you posted on the working of the system is excellent. As we ultimately move to electric vehicles, i feel the best compromise will be a plug-in hybrid, with an all electric range of say 50 miles. It will be interesting to see what Toyota develop in this area. The hydrogen fuel cell is the only practical alternative to hydrocarbons for larger vehicles like trucks.

4 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Considering the technology is over 15 years old, I am still blown away with how well it works. After reading criticisms of the CVT gearbox, I was a bit sceptical but quite frankly I find it excellent. It is smooth and seamless. The video you posted on the working of the system is excellent. As we ultimately move to electric vehicles, i feel the best compromise will be a plug-in hybrid, with an all electric range of say 50 miles. It will be interesting to see what Toyota develop in this area. The hydrogen fuel cell is the only practical alternative to hydrocarbons for larger vehicles like trucks.

If a plug-in means heavy Battery it also means less km/L m/g.

Maybe Li-Ion Battery or something else more efficient could hold weight down and still give larger capacity comes around. But as it is now plug-in is only good for people with charge station home and electricity is not pollution free as it is now.

Hybrid is what I think is best so far.

20 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

If a plug-in means heavy battery it also means less km/L m/g.

Maybe Li-Ion battery or something else more efficient could hold weight down and still give larger capacity comes around. But as it is now plug-in is only good for people with charge station home and electricity is not pollution free as it is now.

Hybrid is what I think is best so far.

It is definitely a compromise. We must presume the figure for green electricity will increase over time. 

1 hour ago, Spacewagon52 said:

It is definitely a compromise. We must presume the figure for green electricity will increase over time. 

We can hope that the politicians are getting more interested in saving the planet than the economy.

We can also hope that Santa Claus comes with presents.

What is most likely?

8 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

To try and lighten the conversation - "Those that don't believe, don't receive!"

You have a point.

Many are disbelievers.

Could that be the reason ?

Good things come to those who believe!

On 3/6/2021 at 10:42 AM, Spacewagon52 said:

Agreed I love the Japs logic with simplicity vs German (new) over engineering that fails on the 3-4th+ owners. also I have watched a ton of videos on the new Porsha tuycan and vw 4 something where they either cannot charge or charge their cars very slowly pains, Toyota ceo is right to say the world is not ready for all electric yet. 

1 minute ago, Riccccccardo said:

Agreed I love the Japs logic with simplicity vs German (new) over engineering that fails on the 3-4th+ owners. also I have watched a ton of videos on the new Porsha tuycan and vw 4 something where they either cannot charge or charge their cars very slowly pains, Toyota ceo is right to say the world is not ready for all electric yet. 

Also there is some new tech on the horizon called SOLID STATE batteries which tesla and also I think Toyota looking at. 

yes toyota are in the r&d stage of using the solid state batteries

the charging time is amazing i'm sure i've heard 80% charge in 15 minutes

18 hours ago, 200h said:

I personally prefer the hydrogen route for ease of use and quickness.

On 3/8/2021 at 7:28 PM, 200h said:

When 80% charge can get the car 400km or close to that it can be useful. As long as range is much shorter, I do not believe Battery powered cars have many chances.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links