Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

First of all, is this website displaying differently for everyone else? Anyway, I posted earlier about my Battery light staying on. Having had time to test the voltage across the Battery, which is 11.8 with the Battery running it looks like I need a new alternator. I've contacted a local firm and an estimate to rebuild is around £100. This is if the windings are OK. He wanted to know whether my alternator is 80 amp or 100 amp? I have no way of knowing, having not yet removed it. Is there any way to find out without removing the alternator? I also need to weigh up whether to buy a new one of have the original rebuilt. My car is a 1999 LS 400. Any advice appreciated.

£100 seems good value if the guy's genuine and competent 

so why not just remove it and take it t him to work out if it's 80 or 100 amp ? ....  surely he can being the " expert "

Malc

someone on here will know the answer, soon hopefully 

when mine went Jan 2020 ( 1995 car ) I think even my indy was faced with a choice, presume amps value maybe and I think we paid about £400 exchange, the old one going back to the supplier ......  presumably for a rewind !

Malc

2 hours ago, harrylime said:

First of all, is this website displaying differently for everyone else? Anyway, I posted earlier about my battery light staying on. Having had time to test the voltage across the battery, which is 11.8 with the battery running it looks like I need a new alternator. I've contacted a local firm and an estimate to rebuild is around £100. This is if the windings are OK. He wanted to know whether my alternator is 80 amp or 100 amp? I have no way of knowing, having not yet removed it. Is there any way to find out without removing the alternator? I also need to weigh up whether to buy a new one of have the original rebuilt. My car is a 1999 LS 400. Any advice appreciated.

It just occurred to me that the alternator fault may have been caused by a power steering leak, although I haven't checked yet. I have seen that some owners make a shield to prevent future problems. Has anyone else suffered this problem and if so, does the contamination tend to affect the voltage regulator, the windings or something else? If I put mine in for repair, the windings cannot be fixed apparently, but the voltage regulator and rectifier can.

19 hours ago, ambermarine said:

Stock mark 4 LS400 is a Denso 100amp

Same as my MK3. But when mine died (probably as a result of the PS pump leaking) I picked up one from Euro Car Parts. Part no. 401820111 Currently available for a shade under 200 quid.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links