Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX450H Purchase Watch Outs

Hi All,

I’m planning to view an RX450H over the next couple of weeks. I’ve owned a couple of RX300’s so whilst I appreciate that’s a different generation, are there any similar and additional issues to watch out for when inspecting / viewing an RX450H. For example water ingress, suspension corrosion, etc. I am aware of the tailgate issue, but are there any other watch outs please?

Cheers Jules

13 minutes ago, Cyclone said:

Hi All,

I’m planning to view an RX450H over the next couple of weeks. I’ve owned a couple of RX300’s so whilst I appreciate that’s a different generation, are there any similar and additional issues to watch out for when inspecting / viewing an RX450H. For example water ingress, suspension corrosion, etc. I am aware of the tailgate issue, but are there any other watch outs please?

Cheers Jules

Various things I have seen as reported.......rear door intermiittant working, air suspension, sun roof leaks, imbalanced tyre wear....ie shoulder wear, wear in drovers seat.  The usual checks on brake discs and pads.  Suggest there are no gotchas that I have seen.

• Like 1

Thanks Ken, info appreciated.

Are there different specs of leather? The reason I ask is because on some of the lighter colour leather then the condition varies. I know on lighter leather it is more likely to show dirt and wear more, but were there options for different types? I know that on the 2012 model up the seat design / leather changed, was this for the better or no real difference?

1 hour ago, Cyclone said:

Are there different specs of leather? The reason I ask is because on some of the lighter colour leather then the condition varies. I know on lighter leather it is more likely to show dirt and wear more, but were there options for different types? I know that on the 2012 model up the seat design / leather changed, was this for the better or no real difference?

Which RX450h years are you looking at?

I believe the Premier models have semi-aniline leather which needes more care. The other leather is the same but wear shows more on lighter leather. The RX450h dont have any major issues apart from cosmetic ones as theyre used by families

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rayaans said:

I believe the Premier models have semi-aniline leather which needes more care. The other leather is the same but wear shows more on lighter leather. The RX450h dont have any major issues apart from cosmetic ones as theyre used by families

On the higher grade models the seats can have cooling, as well as heating, so the leather has perforations.  You are correct in that some colours seem to look as though they have worn better.....ie black versus ivory.....there is also a grey interior.  However, the leather can be cleaned and treated....I think someone in here put up some photos after treating his leather seats on a GS450 if I remember correctly.  I also think, just my opinion, that the black leather makes the car rather dark inside.  It's all down to personal choice I guess but the RX450h's are pretty solid cars.  Just make sure it has a good, preferably, full lexus service history including the hybrid Battery health check.  You will pay more direct from Lexus.  I have also found that the cars tend to be looked after by their owners as well as they are looking to keep them for a long time.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rayaans said:

Looking at cars from 2009-12, so SE-I, SE-L and Advance spec. The odd premier spec pops up in the age/price categories I’ve been looking at. 

Thanks for your input.

11 minutes ago, KenMavor said:

On the higher grade models the seats can have cooling, as well as heating, so the leather has perforations.  You are correct in that some colours seem to look as though they have worn better.....ie black versus ivory.....there is also a grey interior.  However, the leather can be cleaned and treated....I think someone in here put up some photos after treating his leather seats on a GS450 if I remember correctly.  I also think, just my opinion, that the black leather makes the car rather dark inside.  It's all down to personal choice I guess but the RX450h's are pretty solid cars.  Just make sure it has a good, preferably, full lexus service history including the hybrid battery health check.  You will pay more direct from Lexus.  I have also found that the cars tend to be looked after by their owners as well as they are looking to keep them for a long time.

Perfect and good info thank you.

Advance is a good spec to have. It has Mark Levinson as standard. Do be aware that the diamond cut wheels soon lose lacquer coating in centres. Mine was just out of warranty when I noticed they were going.
Lexus Customer services paid for them to be refinished and I had them powder coated in an f sport dark chrome look whiwwas awesome.
If car is around 60,000 miles make sure the big service has been done. Cross Climate tyres are brilliwon a gen 3 car.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

Advance is a good spec to have. It has Mark Levinson as standard. Do be aware that the diamond cut wheels soon lose lacquer coating in centres. Mine was just out of warranty when I noticed they were going.
Lexus Customer services paid for them to be refinished and I had them powder coated in an f sport dark chrome look whiwwas awesome.
If car is around 60,000 miles make sure the big service has been done. Cross Climate tyres are brilliwon a gen 3 car.

Thanks for that. Agree reference powder coating diamond cut alloys, not a bad thing given how easily the diamond cut finish can deteriorate. 

2 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Advance is a good spec to have. It has Mark Levinson as standard.

No it doesn't. My car was first registered in November 2013 and it's an Advance without ML.

It was added to Advance in August 2014.

• Like 1

Just now, Herbie
2 hours ago, olliesgrandad said:

Advance is a good spec to have. It has Mark Levinson as standard.

No it doesn't. My car was first registered in November 2013 and it's an Advance without ML.

It was added to Advance in August 2014.

Sorry 'my bad' , I'd forgotten that they changed the spec in 2014

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Sorry 'my bad' , I'd forgotten that they changed the spec in 2014

The good thing is that a ML system won’t be a deal breaker 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Looking at cars from 2009-12, so SE-I, SE-L and Advance spec. The odd premier spec pops up in the age/price categories I’ve been looking at. 

I’d suggest to avoid SE-L, because of air suspension. It is not just expensive to repair, but also much stiffer than the normal suspension.
Also if you find one with ICE (entertainment displays for rear passengers), dot’t agree to pay an extra penny for it - these displays are absolutely useless and outdated.

• Like 1

This is from a 2010 SE-I, I know it’s a light colour, but it’s the passenger seat and  it looks quite worn. Is this the norm or just a poorly looked after example. Think this car has circa 100k miles, so average for a 10-11 yr old car.

15E9A642-151C-43A5-A14B-1D1402DBF14C.png

10 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Cyclone,

Go join Lexus Owners club UK on Facebook.

Guy had accidentally used a scouring pad on his leather seat and then took it to a leather restorer who made it as good as new.  Pictures are there on the group.  Suggest that should allay any fears about the seats.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Thanks for your input.

Just to add to your conundrum.........many recommend taking out a 2 year Lexus warranty on an older car.  The car needs to be under 140k miles and not more than 10 years old.  Hence if you want to do this then it's a 2011 year car or younger.  The warranty is very good and many members of the forum can attest to getting a lot of things done under this warranty.  You need to have the car serviced by Lexus to maintain the warranty but using the essential service option it's not that expensive.  The warranty gives you 2 MOTs and 2 years worth of RAC breakdown cover.  For a RX450h the warranty cost is £995 on a 2 for 1 deal.

Worth looking into I would suggest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KenMavor said:

Cyclone,

Go join Lexus Owners club UK on Facebook.

Guy had accidentally used a scouring pad on his leather seat and then took it to a leather restorer who made it as good as new.  Pictures are there on the group.  Suggest that should allay any fears about the seats.

Good info again and thanks. 

I appreciate leather can be bought back to a good standard, but the state of the leather in that pic could indicate poor care of the car in general, so would put me off. That’s partly why I was asking if different types of leather interior could be specified. I’ve requested to join the group, so will be good to get more info that way. Appreciate the heads up.

I rejected the first RX450 I purchased after I found damage to the underside trays and exhaust system, seemed like a previous owner had thought it was more of an off-roader than it is in reality. That was despite it being a Lexus approved car. Would be worth checking that.

I'm happy with the one I have now and intend to keep it for a good few years yet, but I'm glad I got one without air suspension as I wouldn't have been so happy about it as a long-term proposition otherwise. The black leather seems to be holding up well with negligible car from me, admittedly it doesn't see much family use nowadays. The metallic black paintwork has picked up the odd scratch, but I live and work in the countryside and it still looks very presentable after a clean-up.

The power tailgate failure seems to be a relatively recent issue, or perhaps it's just coincidence we've suddenly seen this problem occur a few times.

• Like 2

I can't understand why everyone run away from the air suspension, its not worse thand normal dampers and if **** hits the fan then you can instal normal dampers

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spottedlaurel said:

I rejected the first RX450 I purchased after I found damage to the underside trays and exhaust system, seemed like a previous owner had thought it was more of an off-roader than it is in reality. That was despite it being a Lexus approved car. Would be worth checking that.

I'm happy with the one I have now and intend to keep it for a good few years yet, but I'm glad I got one without air suspension as I wouldn't have been so happy about it as a long-term proposition otherwise. The black leather seems to be holding up well with negligible care from me, admittedly it doesn't see much family use nowadays. The metallic black paintwork has picked up the odd scratch, but I live and work in the countryside and it still looks very presentable after a clean-up.

The power tailgate failure seems to be a relatively recent issue, or perhaps it's just coincidence we've suddenly seen this problem occur a few times.

Sorry, quoted instead of edited........

9 hours ago, Cyclone said:

Good info again and thanks. 

I appreciate leather can be bought back to a good standard, but the state of the leather in that pic could indicate poor care of the car in general, so would put me off. That’s partly why I was asking if different types of leather interior could be specified. I’ve requested to join the group, so will be good to get more info that way. Appreciate the heads up.

This is the leather from my SE-I. I don't baby the car, just use leather wipes every month or so just like any other car. Apologies for bad angle, not sure what I was looking to photograph at the time!

Nothing major to look for, purchased mine from an independent with full main dealer history. No issues just a new Battery.

I avoided the SEL as air suspension is about £800 a corner https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-steering-suspension/lexus-rx-phase-3-n-s-f-shock-absorber-2/

Same reason I went for a RX300 SE over an SEL years ago. To be fair don't really hear about as many issues on RX450 air suspension. I don't go off road, maybe the odd pavement/kerb so for me the extra complication and potential cost wasn't worth it. I haven't driven one with air suspension so can't comment on the ride quality.

It is possible to purchase a SEL without air but I was always to slow/late I guess those that know move very quickly. It would be nice to have a HUD and Mark Levinson, maybe next time!

LED lights are also over £1k and are sealed units https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-exterior-interior/lexus-rx-phase-3-n-s-led-headlamp/

Xenon bulbs are buttons in comparison, but don't look as modern or cool, I  can't comment on brightness or beam spread though.

20200308_095516.jpg

20210215_135841.jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Prince Bob said:

This is the leather from my SE-I. I don't baby the car, just use leather wipes every month or so just like any other car. Apologies for bad angle, not sure what I was looking to photograph at the time!

Nothing major to look for, purchased mine from an independent with full main dealer history. No issues just a new battery.

I avoided the SEL as air suspension is about £800 a corner https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-steering-suspension/lexus-rx-phase-3-n-s-f-shock-absorber-2/

Same reason I went for a RX300 SE over an SEL years ago. To be fair don't really hear about as many issues on RX450 air suspension. I don't go off road, maybe the odd pavement/kerb so for me the extra complication and potential cost wasn't worth it. I haven't driven one with air suspension so can't comment on the ride quality.

It is possible to purchase a SEL without air but I was always to slow/late I guess those that know move very quickly. It would be nice to have a HUD and Mark Levinson, maybe next time!

LED lights are also over £1k and are sealed units https://lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/parts/lexus-rx/lexus-rx-phase-iii-2009-2015/lexus-rx-3-exterior-interior/lexus-rx-phase-3-n-s-led-headlamp/

Xenon bulbs are buttons in comparison, but don't look as modern or cool, I  can't comment on brightness or beam spread though.

20200308_095516.jpg

20210215_135841.jpg

Great post and reaffirms that some leather interiors just aren’t looked after. Yours does look good and that’s what I’d expect. Just got it into my head that Lexus may have switched to lower quality leather lol!

Likewise I’ve had a couple of RX300’s in the past and went SE over the SE-L, just to avoid any potential additional expense should the air sus fail. 

13 hours ago, Cyclone said:

This is from a 2010 SE-I, I know it’s a light colour, but it’s the passenger seat and  it looks quite worn. Is this the norm or just a poorly looked after example. Think this car has circa 100k miles, so average for a 10-11 yr old car.

15E9A642-151C-43A5-A14B-1D1402DBF14C.png

That's caused by over cleaning with fairy liquid. 

There's no point cleaning leather every week. Do it every 6 months to 1 year depending on soiling with a good leather cleaner and seal it afterwards to help it stay clean. 

It doesn't need more frequent cleaning than that

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links