Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended warranty

My NX is three years old in June, and despite a gallant effort from Lexus to get me to buy a new one (and it was a good deal) I’ve decided to keep what I’ve got as it’s only done 18k miles, it’s as new and I really like it. As I’ve said before, I think I’ll keep it for the duration, and it feels like it will last forever (famous last words 😉).

Anyway, I’ll be wanting to get the Lexus extended warranty, but can’t find any details on Lexus.co.uk

Has anybody had a quote recently for an NX and if so how much was it for two years?

Many thanks...

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

^^ Thanks John. I spent a good thirty minutes looking everywhere for something about warranty but couldn’t find it. About the only place I didn’t look was under ‘owners’ 😆

£795 for two years is a great deal and confirms my decision to keep what I’ve already got!

• Like 3

My NX is 3 years old on Monday 8th March. It is in our local Lexus dealer today for a service and the 1st MOT. The extended warranty forms are at the service desk waiting for me to sign today. £795 was a no brainer for me.

My only gripe is that it has only done 2,500 miles since the last service, but that's nobodys fault in these strange times.

I also updated the maps last weekend before the 3 years was up.

• Like 6

I have this decision to make in July. Undecided at the moment. Drive a Lexus because they are super reliable but buy a warranty just in case seems like a contradiction in terms to me?

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I have this decision to make in July. Undecided at the moment. Drive a Lexus because they are super reliable but buy a warranty just in case seems like a contradiction in terms to me?

IMHO the Extended Warranty is a no-brainer at the price it is for peace of mind and no-hassle motoring - especially as it includes full euro (when we can go there) breakdown cover for owner and spouse for any car that either person happens to be in when it breaks down (not just the Lexus that is under warranty) along with MoTs on the Lexus and discount on other non-warranty repairs, and can be paid for in 12 interest free instalments. All cars go wrong from time to time - even Lexus. And when they do go wrong, assuming you want a main dealer to fix it with Lexus parts, then it is going to be expensive.

On my IS 300h I have had the windscreen washer reservoir sensor replaced (which would have been ~£400) and the front wheel bearings replaced (both sides) all done under extended warranty. Combined with the other benefits, for just those relatively minor repairs, the warranty that I have had for just over 3 years (car is from 2004 and has now covered 96K miles) it has paid for itself - even if it hadn't then I would have been OK with that.

Of course everyone has a different appetite for risk and if happy to "self warranty" then each to his/her own. And for the Extended Warranty to remain valid the car must be serviced by Lexus too (which for me was something I was going to do anyway) - after the car is 5 years old this can be the Essential Care services which reduces the service prices.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

My NX is three years old in June, and despite a gallant effort from Lexus to get me to buy a new one (and it was a good deal) I’ve decided to keep what I’ve got as it’s only done 18k miles, it’s as new and I really like it. As I’ve said before, I think I’ll keep it for the duration, and it feels like it will last forever (famous last words 😉).

Anyway, I’ll be wanting to get the Lexus extended warranty, but can’t find any details on Lexus.co.uk

Has anybody had a quote recently for an NX and if so how much was it for two years?

Many thanks...

Keeping it rather than buying a new one, especially at that mileage, is a good choice.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

^^ For basically £400 per year - including breakdown - one issue could see it pay for itself. Worth it for peace of mind, for me at least.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I agree, it is. 

The only issue I have had in 17 years of ownership out of warranty was on the IS with its head unit. I suspect caused because of me changing the Battery without a memory saver lol

Its an insurance policy I suppose but obviously they can offer it as it probably makes them a whole chunk of money, even at the price that it is

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rayaans said:

I agree, it is. 

The only issue I have had in 17 years of ownership out of warranty was on the IS with its head unit. I suspect caused because of me changing the battery without a memory saver lol

Its an insurance policy I suppose but obviously they can offer it as it probably makes them a whole chunk of money, even at the price that it is

Having had a VW Tiguan with the infamous exploding DSG gearbox (covered by warranty), and also having had a VW Polo, Honda CR-V and my first Lexus NX all replaced by the manufacturers due to ‘significant’ issues when nearly new, you’ll likely understand my desire for some peace of mind!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

On my IS 300h I have had the windscreen washer reservoir sensor replaced (which would have been ~£400) and the front wheel bearings replaced (both sides) all done under extended warranty. Combined with the other benefits, for just those relatively minor repairs, the warranty that I have had for just over 3 years (car is from 2004 and has now covered 96K miles) it has paid for itself - even if it hadn't then I would have been OK with that.

That should have been "car is from 2014 and has now covered 96K miles..."

• Like 2

Thanks everyone. Food for thought. I think if it remains at £795 for two years I will go for it. I’ll decide closer to the time. Might have to try to predict if they are going to stop the 2 for 1 offer and buy ahead of time too. No firm decision yet but edging towards having a warranty.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, First_Lexus said:

Having had a VW Tiguan with the infamous exploding DSG gearbox (covered by warranty), and also having had a VW Polo, Honda CR-V and my first Lexus NX all replaced by the manufacturers due to ‘significant’ issues when nearly new, you’ll likely understand my desire for some peace of mind!

Whilst thats true. Most issues tend to surface within the 3 year manufacturers period or at higher mileage on Lexus. If it was a German car Id recommend a warranty but I think with Lexus Ive taken my chances on all of mine over 17 years and I think Ive paid £500 including fitting for a radio on the IS300h.

Initially was quoted £4k but Lexus UK got involved due to mileage and said £500 fitted. 

I’m in a similar position as you Ed. Service No3 at a whopping 15,500mls, MOT, Extended Warranty and Road Tax all due in the next month or two, and then to crown it all the insurance is due for renewal in August. I reckon it’s better being safe than sorry, but I’ll see what discounts I can wheedle out of them.

Do you still have to have the Hybrid system checked to extend the warranty on this or is this covered in the service, you have to have the car serviced each year at the main dealer ( not local garage) 

43 minutes ago, Whites said:

Do you still have to have the Hybrid system checked to extend the warranty on this or is this covered in the service, you have to have the car serviced each year at the main dealer ( not local garage) 

The hybrid system check is part of a Lexus dealer service (whether full or Essential Care) and as you say you have to have Lexus dealer servicing for the Extended Warranty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Whites said:

Do you still have to have the Hybrid system checked to extend the warranty on this or is this covered

Something that isn't obvious to all - the hybrid health check only provides a warranty to the hybrid Battery. If you have a fault with any other part of the hybrid system (CVT, electric motors, inverter) you aren't covered, all would result in repair bills £1k or above.

Extremely rare of any fault to occur with these components but you need an extended warranty to cover you for the entire hybrid system.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Something that isn't obvious to all - the hybrid health check only provides a warranty to the hybrid battery. If you have a fault with any other part of the hybrid system (CVT, electric motors, inverter) you aren't covered, all would result in repair bills £1k or above.

Extremely rare of any fault to occur with these components but you need an extended warranty to cover you for the entire hybrid system.

That`s what happened to Tony Richa`s GS 450h in approx 2013.Warranty did not cover cost., so it`s good that you have highlighted this Colin.

It’s all about attitude to risk isn’t it. A classic risk and reward decision. The risk is shelling out £400 per year that you never see a benefit from. The reward is having one or more repairs done at no cost other than the cost of the warranty of course.

Another factor is the likelihood of a fault developing which needs a repair. I believe this is low given my experience of the marque to date.

Then finally there is the hybrid system. This to me adds another level of complexity and risk. Yes they are reliable but any fault in this area is likely to be very expensive.

Not that easy a decision. I’ll need to decide what to do in July. I do think that £795 for two years cover is relatively good value.

I do keep coming back to the thought that It’s counter intuitive to drive a Lexus because they are super reliable  and then buy a warranty just in case something breaks. The warranty won’t cover general wear and tear anyway.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

It is when you consider that includes two MOTs and full European breakdown cover for two people.

If one can afford it  its an absolute no brainer, especially with interest free credit over 12 months.

I can afford it. More a question of whether I want to afford it. We typically don’t buy any extended warranties on anything we buy. Probably saved thousands over the years as a result of this. A car is a much more expensive proposition though. I’d forgotten about the free MOTs. I think I will end up renewing but still worth discussing I think.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

It is when you consider that includes two MOTs and full European breakdown cover for two people.

Which is great if you do drive in Europe. Less so if you don’t. I’d forgotten about the free MOTs 👍

7 minutes ago, paulrnx said:

I can afford it. More a question of whether I want to afford it. We typically don’t buy any extended warranties on anything we buy. Probably saved thousands over the years as a result of this. A car is a much more expensive proposition though. I’d forgotten about the free MOTs. I think I will end up renewing but still worth discussing I think.

Paul, I am able to afford it too. I never buy extended warranties and am well aware of sellers responsibilities.

The one exception I make is my Lexus. It is an exceptional warranty for an exceptional vehicle.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links