Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've been waiting since the 30th January 2021 for the V5c in my name as new owner.  The Car is still recorded as taxed until October 2021 so the seller also hasn't had the advantage of a tax refund.

Checking the option Forms it seems to me that I'd need pay £25 as if I'd lost the original V5c.  I don't fancy having the small green slip sent to DVLA by the Post Office as I recall the fact that I discovered after (was it twelve years??) that DVLA had cancelled my  Driving Licence instead of that of my Brother which I submitted on his death in a Motor accident. Only discovered that becuase went to hire a Van and they said I didn't have a Driving licence.   Dougie of UKIP sorted for me!

So, although I could give the car its first drive thinking that any Police Car would find the car recorded as having tax, I just don't care for the hastle if such bravery is found out. 

The good news is that the Boys turned up and took away the Grandstand Wheels and replaced with the ones I've had in my hall for weeks.  The five will be refurbished and I'll almost certainly sell four of them and keep the fifth 18 inch as a spare in my Boot. I now have 17 inch rims but the two rim and tyre size match to .03 % I quite like the look of the new Rims. Tidy, anyway.

New Aero wiper blades arrived and as I have one fog light broken glass, I've ordered a pair of Yellow Glass fog lamps with bulbs from USA to replace. 

Good job I'm a patient Man although perhaps more like a Patient, these days!

• Like 1

Don't understand what you're saying there.

1) Did you send off the little green slip - that's how the V5C is issued in your name.

2) Did you tax it or put it on SORN the day you bought it? You should have done one of the two.

Oh - no sorry - you keep the green slip, don't you? The seller should have filled in the yellow part and sent it off to DVLA. Did you check that he did? You can tax it or put it on SORN on line just with the green slip.

You don't need to wait for the V5C - in fact it is the law that you either tax it or put it on SORN on the day you buy the car with the 12 digit number on the green slip.

On 3/5/2021 at 5:53 PM, johnatg said:

You don't need to wait for the V5C - in fact it is the law that you either tax it or put it on SORN on the day you buy the car with the 12 digit number on the green slip.

No, I don't believe you can do either.  If you check the status of the Car tax situation and it says "taxed until" you can't put it on Sorn and you can't tax it, unless you are on the V5c.

You can’t Sorn the vehicle as you need the 11 digit number from the V5c which is not on the New Keeper Detail slip.  See below for SORN  No V11 received.

Choose when it starts

Immediately

Use the 11-digit number on your vehicle log book (V5C) to take the vehicle off the road immediately.

On the first day of next month

Use the 16-digit number on your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) to take the vehicle off the road from the first day of next month. You can only use this number once.

oOo

Taxing a vehicle

Unable to use service

Unfortunately you cannot use this service as the V5C/2 reference number you have used is invalid.

You should have received a V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) in your name for the vehicle, please use the reference number from this to renew your vehicle tax

oOo

I'll wait until next week, as the Battery has died and I need get it replaced and then apply using the form V62.

A bit cheesed off with DVLA and the Car, if I'm honest.  Good job I've got the Corolla  as a standby but that will be on its way once I've got this Car sorted, assuming I don't find any other problems.  My Study is like a Parts Department at the moment! Refurbeed Grandstand wheels should be back later today or tomorrow, but only as Rims, bar one tyred for the boot. 

That cannot be true. It is the law that you either tax a vehicle or put it on Sorn on the day that you buy it. 

Vehicle tax expires at the instant that a person sells a vehicle. 

You can tax a vehicle or put it on SORN using the document reference number on the New Keeper Slip (Part 6 of the V5C)

You can at least put it on SORN - go to the SORN page on gov.uk then follow the prompts, including ' I don't have the V11 reminder, just the registration certificate or new keeper supplement' then 'New keeper (using V5C/2 new keeper supplement document reference number)'. Or you can tax it using a similar sequence.

If you check your own V5c and the keeper part you will see that an eleven digit number is required to sorn and the Keeper has a twelve digit number - hence the rejection that I've copied and pasted.

You can't tax the vehicle where it is alredy seen as taxed -which I've also copied and pasted.

I can only file a V62 next week.

The seller has not returned my call whee I left a message to confirm he posted the V5c.  Frankly I'd be really surpised if he hadn't  as he had six months tax to get back.  

Unfortunately the days when you could just turn up at your local DVLA office, park for free, take a numbered ticket then wait 10 minutes are long gone.

I only ever went to the Nottingham office once to change my registration plates...there, done and back within an hour.

40 minutes ago, johnatg said:

When you follow the correct prompts you can put the 12 digit number in. 

I did that, and repeat here what comes up after entering the 12 digit number

Taxing a vehicle

Unable to use service

Unfortunately you cannot use this service as the V5C/2 reference number you have used is invalid.

You should have received a V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) in your name for the vehicle, please use the reference number from this to renew your vehicle tax.

If you have not received the V5C vehicle registration certificate (log book) for the vehicle, in your name, please complete form V62 - application for a vehicle registration certificate and send to DVLA Swansea. Click here to get V62

Suggest we call it a day until I fill out the V62. Thanks for your thoughts.

Tried "chat" with DVLA and reply to my enquiry. No explanation why the V5C/2 green slip reference number is stated to be "not valid". Genuine part, as watermarked and tore off myself. . They've just ruled out being able to register with V5C/2

"Can take up to 8 weeks to process, we will need to allow more time. To tax i would advise to call us with the VIN/CHASSIS number of the vehicle please.
Contact Centre Vehicles Enquiry line - 0300 790 6802. The Contact Centre opening times: 8am - 8pm (Mon – Fri) 8am - 4pm (Sat)"

Not dealt with Battery issue so will give a few more days. New Yuasa in the Hall but under strict instructions not to do heavy lifting. Will charge old and get mechanic to install.  Difficult location for lifting, by bulkhead.  Still, won't be as heavy as the LS400 Yuasa.

It was on the news a few days ago which said there had been a Covid-19 outbreak at the DVLA Swansea which would explain the delays. No further explanation of course as to why because news media only tells you what they want you to know.

• Sad 1

V5c  arrived today - at last!  Seven former keepers last owner not named - suppose this is owing to DPA or GDPR?

Battery charged. May even get to drive it now, although still shown as taxed and DVLA "tax a vehicle" says wait for reminder.  No longer in a hurry as appointments to keep next week so will use the Corolla and not risk this Car, just yet. Hey ho!

Borbet wheels will go on sale at an exhorbitant price, now that they have been refurbished in Alabaster Cream and I have  new set of Borbet locking nuts.

IMG_0038.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DVLA not working as it should.  I have taxed the vehicle and used it for the first time since purchase.  Fact is, I got the V5c recently but despite this, the below is the process DVLA took me through whih I basically had to ignore each message.  Perhaps the seller has not applied for a refund?

Tax a Vehicle – today visited DVLA  01-04-2021

Below comes up

Check vehicle details

• Registration number X838 RPU
  • Vehicle make LEXUS
  • Tax class PLG (Private/Light Goods)
  • Tax/SORN status Your vehicle will be taxed from 01 April 2021 Are you aware that your vehicle's current tax is not due to expire until 01 September 2021?
    However, if you have been told to tax by DVLA, please continue with the transaction

There is a Direct Debit due to auto renew on 01 September 2021. If you continue with your application you may be charged twice.

This will auto renew provided you have a valid MOT (if applicable) and insurance (if the vehicle is registered to a Northern Ireland address) when your vehicle tax is due.

Incorrect details?

By clicking 'Continue' you agree to the DVLA checking the following (if relevant):

• that your vehicle has an electronic MOT/GVT certificate

Find out how we do this

Followed by this

Before you continue

The Vehicle Is Currently Taxed

The tax is due to expire on 01 September 2021. This is a Direct Debit that will auto renew provided you have a valid MOT (if applicable) and insurance (if the vehicle is registered to a Northern Ireland address) when your vehicle tax is due. If you continue with your application you may be charged again.

If you have recently acquired this vehicle (and do not have a V5C Registration Certificate in your name) and you are taxing it for the first time please click here

If you have received a letter from DVLA advising you to tax your vehicle please proceed with your application and click continue.

Alternatively, if you wish to stop your application please click cancel.

Cancel application

All very bizarre. I always use both the online ownership change doo daa and tax. All done and dusted instantly. For example, I bought the Honda last Sunday and we transferred the ownership online. V5 dropped through my letterbox Thursday. I held back on taxing with the green slip reference number until Thursday morning because I wanted a full month. And previous owner doesn't have to apply for the unused tax, it's issued automatically.

I hate to suggest it, but I'm thinking there's a strong possibility that Stuarts car is cloned. That would explain all the anomalies he's reported so far, eg invalid number on the green slip, showing as still taxed etc. I'm afraid that the authorities will come checking one day. Then it will depend on whether they can identify the car. My late brother-in-law bought a Fiesta at auction for his son once (20 odd years ago) - did it up - the 'authorities' identified it as a clone (or at least a duplicate of another car). They came to check but couldn't find a VIN number - they had all been removed (the car came from Liverpool.....). So he got to keep it. The car was issued a Q number though.

Does the mileage check out with last MoT - 131071 on 15th October 2020 and have you viewed the test location? (You need the V5c for that)

Anyone think of another explanation?

And Richard - I suspect you may get a bill for a month's tax, at least, unless you put the Honda on SORN when it changed hands. I don't know how on the ball they are with enforcing instant tax or Sorn at the point of sale.

Ah, we'll see. But I doubt it.

Re: the cloning and Stuart's problems. It is all very odd but a 2000 GS? Something definitely amiss but who on earth would clone one of those? I wish I could remember the details but when I bought the RX there was an oddity with the tax. I didn't have to tax it for a good few months after I'd bought and driven around in it. I honestly can't remember the convoluted story, something to do with it being registered to trade but that's all I've got. If it was me and the car is showing as taxed I'd leave it as is. No tax until September!

Well, I'll tell you an interesting fact before I hopefully dispel any thought of the Car being cloned. 

When I went thorugh the various paperwork last night that came with the Car, I found at the back a secion of a V5C which was V5C/3 and a part V5C/4.  The registrtion number showing is M873 HPC.  Nothing has been filled in and checking DVLA it was a Silver GS300 with c180k on the clock and not taxed since 2014 (I think).

Anyway, I have the original Warranty & Care Booklet showing the Car was delivered 2nd January 2001. There are various Lexus service stamps and the Car was once owned by a USAF Husband and Wife  International driving licnece also in the paperwork from 2018.

There are various booklets that came with the Car including an International Security Register Wallet. Unfortunately no details have been entered and I'd like to have found the Car key code and have no idea how to get this?  My keyfob is cracked and I'm messing with a few replacement fobs to see if I can transfer the blade etc.,

Car feels strange to drive despite my owning an LS400. A slight wobble sound disturbs me but may be something in the boot not anchored down. The front lower Ball joints get replaced on the 8th.  

Car starts and lights go out, however the VSC light with "off" beneath it comes on as does VSC light next to it. Didn't notice this before when started in my drive.  Guess this will be another problem to sort.  Strange it does not stay on but maybe its the starting of the engine that dims them both? 

Running from start at about 1300 and falls back to about 700 or 750 which is on the high side.

Going back to the issue. If someone pays by Direct Debit and fails to cancel their D/D then this may give the replies I got, especially if they fail to write asking for refund.

Not yet feeling great about this vehicle - but daresay it will come.

50 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Car starts and lights go out, however the VSC light with "off" beneath it comes on as does VSC light next to it. Didn't notice this before when started in my drive.  Guess this will be another problem to sort.  Strange it does not stay on but maybe its the starting of the engine that dims them both?

I think they should both come on as you turn the ignition but extinguish as the car starts. Is that what you mean?

41 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

I think they should both come on as you turn the ignition but extinguish as the car starts. Is that what you mean?

No, they came on, went off but then came on again and stayed on.

Funny thing, having just started the Car outside the House, they went off and stayed off.   Have seen on the tube how to do some giggerypokery with the Diagnostic port under the bonnet and a piece of wire., so..........