Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Has anyone here experienced the notorious sticky dash issue that has been effecting people in hot climate countries? Recent few years battering in the summer sun my dash does have a rather sticky feeling to it.  I usually apply a dashboard protection spray once in a while. Just wondering if anyone else has had it and if this is just the beginning and is it likely to get worse 

I honestly don’t think ( someone might correct me! ) that the climate we have in the UK would cause the infamous sticky dash problem that is a major problem overseas ie in California, there is lots of examples on the ‘ClubLexus’ owners website.

I had something like this after leaving the car outside on very hot summer days, however although dash felt sticky after just getting into the car it was not permanently damaged. 

Mine is not garaged ☹️ And is in full sun ( what little we get in Bristol) all the time and has been for last 4 years and is not showing any signs of deteriorating.

15 hours ago, james250 said:

I usually apply a dashboard protection spray once in a while. Just wondering if anyone else has had it and if this is just the beginning and is it likely to get worse 

What are you spraying on it? Did you start to do this after you had the problem or before?

4 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

What are you spraying on it? Did you start to do this after you had the problem or before?

I've been using Armorall Dashboard cleaner and Protectant spray. I've been using this for over 12 years and never had issues. Just past few years I've probably neglected it a little and not applied it as frequently and last few summers have been hot. 

Hey guys. I've read a lot about the sticky dashboard and this is only an issue in pre-facelift models as the dashboard is made from recycled materials.

Mine is an '06 model, so I just use a window sunshade when leaving the car out in hot weather.

When driving, it's not much of an issue because the AC will keep the interior quite cool.

There is a TSB available regarding the dashboard of some older Lexus vehicles:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/SB-10091863-5448.pdf

However, to correct my previous statement, this has not been addressed with the facelift version, rather, it appears that they manufactured new dashboards to resolve the issue during the recall campaign in 2014.

Personally, I have left the car out in pretty hot weather for hours on end, however, I haven't had any issues with the sticky dashboard. There may have been a replacement done on mine previously that I am not aware of. This is just something that I found out about while researching the model prior to my purchase. 

• 9 months later...
On 3/5/2021 at 9:47 PM, Texas said:

I honestly don’t think ( someone might correct me! ) that the climate we have in the UK would cause the infamous sticky dash problem that is a major problem overseas ie in California, there is lots of examples on the ‘ClubLexus’ owners website.

I think it's not just issue of the extreme climate. My dash and door cards are definitely beginning to suffer and what I noticed is that it's related to heat and cold cycles too. Contraction and expansion eventually starts to cause the cracks to appear. Ive got a little crack appearing and I am having to treat it every 2 weeks if not even sooner in this cold weather. I'm currently using Armor All Protectant Gloss Finish. When I apply a good layer it temporarily solves the problem and the stickiness goes away for a week or two then I need to re-apply. And this is in cold winter. I'm wondering if I should try a different product ? Has anyone tried possibly applying leather dye over it?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links