Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tranmission Oil - Anyone?

Its not all about money !!!!!!!!!!!! it is only a means to an end ................... the enjoyment you get from some cars is part of lifes journey ...........I have a brother and his wife who account for everthing !!!................. miserable sods !!!!!!!! being in their house is like being in some big xcel spread sheet !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Price and cost are not the same thing. Sometimes the cheapest way out is the most expensive way in.

I try to aim for lowest overall cost of car ownership. Cost does not just include money it also includes things like time and inconvenience. 

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

I don't see the point in spending above the vehicle's market value on a repair. Yes the vehicle could go another 100k miles without an issue, but it could equally be written off the next day, through no fault of your own, and you receive somewhere from £2000 to £2400 as settlement from your insurance.

True but what’s the alternative in that situation? £3k isn’t going to buy a replacement car that id be happy with, and even if it did it would be an unknown quantity. Seems far more sensible to stick with the car I know is otherwise tip top.

• Like 1

Another wonderfully controversial thread, a mixture of various but often irrational opinions, financial speculation and comparative irrelevances to create Forum intrigue. ☺️

MY opinion, for what it's worth, is that however old or valueless your car might be, as long as it is well maintained and serving its purpose in respect of your very own criteria, then why change it? 🤔

If your criteria change such that you feel you need more comfort, more power, more economy, more space, more technology then change the car. The only financial reason for changing will be that a mechanical failure or damage repair works out to be substantially more than the car is worth, an individual judgement that will vary depending entirely upon the individual owner. 🙂

And Linas, before you say "define substantially" I'm not going to, because that element of decision making has no statistics or fact-found analysis to back it up because it's opinion-based and very personal. 😉

Have a lovely day gentlemen. 👋

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I know i'm coming in to this topic a bit late, but a number of years ago, one of the motoring organizations did a report on the relative cost of car ownership. When applied to the used car section, the conclusion was overall it was cheaper to maintain and repair than spend out on another used car. Though this just looks at car ownership in a narrow financial way, and may no longer be valid when the cost of major power train components is taken into account. Even so £1000 or so on a s/h transmission is a lot less than changing you car for one of unknown provenance. At least it is sometimes better the devil you know!!

• Like 1

Phew what a read lol. Now folks take a break. Have a kitkat (or choccy bar of your choice) and chill. I've forgotten what the OP asked first off.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, johnbiker7 said:

I know i'm coming in to this topic a bit late, but a number of years ago, one of the motoring organizations did a report on the relative cost of car ownership. When applied to the used car section, the conclusion was overall it was cheaper to maintain and repair than spend out on another used car. Though this just looks at car ownership in a narrow financial way, and may no longer be valid when the cost of major power train components is taken into account. Even so £1000 or so on a s/h transmission is a lot less than changing you car for one of unknown provenance. At least it is sometimes better the devil you know!!Tiuh

I second this. I only had Jap cars. Micra, Almera, Mazda. Out of those the Mazda was the only one I spent more money on because of a few suspension issues.

Anyways.

What nice teatime discussions. We should probably drive our Is250s more than we talk about em.

I phoned Lexus again today.

I asked the lady to go back and check if its a full refresh or partial. She said its £146 or something like this.

She went back and said its 3-4 bottles of oil and confirmed saying its a full refresh. This is the place in Woodford.

She must be confused right? I think I have to phone em up again.

7 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

I second this. I only had Jap cars. Micra, Almera, Mazda. Out of those the Mazda was the only one I spent more money on because of a few suspension issues.

Anyways.

What nice teatime discussions. We should probably drive our Is250s more than we talk about em.

I phoned Lexus again today.

I asked the lady to go back and check if its a full refresh or partial. She said its £146 or something like this.

She went back and said its 3-4 bottles of oil and confirmed saying its a full refresh. This is the place in Woodford.

Full refresh is a misleading term, I don't think they ever get close to all of the fluid out. Ask if it includes replacing the filter assembly, if it has one.

36 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

I always serviced my car in Woolford, last time I asked they said they don't do it... like at all! 😁

She is either confused or it is very good deal.

Still I cannot believe it would include replacing filter (because that requires to take pan out and fit the new gasket). Parts alone would be the same price and this is dealership.. so they must be making at least 80% on top of parts if not more.

28 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Full refresh is a misleading term, I don't think they ever get close to all of the fluid out. Ask if it includes replacing the filter assembly, if it has one.

I have already posted how full service kit for A960E looks like - 5L ATF + gasket + filter + o-ring.

Indeed... nobody does "full refresh". Normally it is 1L in and one out (unless you low on ATF, so maybe little bit less out). I think what "full refresh" should mean is oil pan out, new filter, new gasket and refill (which is ~3.5L). But if they just pumping 3-4L of ATF without taking the pan off, then it is kind of wasteful - as it would be mixing old ATF with new... so out of 3-4L of new ATF, maybe only 50% will actually remain. 

Another guy in South London Mister Transmission charging £269 for a full flush including filter asssembley as you said but he said if theres nothing wrong you won't notice any diff. I just said its recommended. Bit pricey but I suppose if hes an expert in this area you can't say much. Lets see if Lexus are quoting for the same job.

Linas. The trans servicing is not available on their website. When you phone you speak to the servicing department. I hope they are not gonna do some sort of we'll do it now that times are tough job on me.

Your basically saying partial drains are useless. Most people on YT done it that way.

7 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

I hope they are not gonna do some sort of we'll do it now that times are tough job on me.

and ask to see the old filter and whatever comes out .......  so they can sort of prove to you the work had been done !

Malc

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

and ask to see the old filter and whatever comes out .......  so they can sort of prove to you the work had been done !

Malc

Some BMW garages film their procedures being done. Should be a thing across all garages.

19 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

Your basically saying partial drains are useless. Most people on YT done it that way.

I am not saying it is useless, it is just not efficient as there is no way to separate old and dirty fluid, from fresh fluid. You basically mix them together and excess comes out... and with that excess half of new fluid.

I would say doing 1L refresh (sort of "top-up", just to make sure the level is correct) makes sense. But if more than that I think it is better just to get the pan out and at least get all that dirty fluid out (whatever is in the pan) clean magnets, change filter etc. 

• Like 1

If you hear the word "flush" - run. That's usually not the correct service procedure. Should be drop the pan, drain the fluid, replace filter assembly, check a few things, reassemble and refill.

A flush sometimes means they connect it up to a machine that pumps generic fluid in and straight back out again, not really cleaning it much and potentially causing damage. It does make them a lot of money though.

1 hour ago, nicnac said:

All good fun !Thought I would actually put something here instead of bull**** !

This looked like gravy to me mate.

9 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

🤣🤣🤣Probably as close as anyone on here will get to their transmission !!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Ozzay said:

Because it is... Nick just mixed-up pictures and posted jar of gravy he was about to put on his pudding.  😁

• Haha 1

All I am saying is now that my tyres are ready and my transmission fluid is about to change I want to have racing contest from London to Inverness.

IS250 is great for that - when there twice and loved the car. It is planted, comfortable, handles well, seat is supportive enough and I got the re without even getting tired.

The only thing which was on the limit is power... It is just on the limit - 50-80hp more and it would be perfect.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links