Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Calling all GS250 owners for opinions

Good evening all,

I'm currently deciding whether to change from my current IS250 SE-L. It really is a great car and there's a couple of small things that bother me, funnily enough it's not the cars fault it's my own (being tallish and ahem 'portly' 😁). I may end up giving it to my wife as we will be selling our Honda Accord soon too.

I'm starting to find the seats in the IS250 a bit too short, in terms of the seat pan not being deep enough. In other words, the part of my leg closest to my knees isn't supported as well as it could be. The only other issue is the need for a larger boot, but that's more of a want than an outright need.

So, my question to current owners are:

1. Have any of you owned an IS250 and upgraded to a GS250?
  2. What's the seat comfort like?
  3. Ownership costs and reliability? (I know these cars have a slightly uprated IS250 engine, so I don't imagine much difference there!)
  4. Anything else to say about the car in general?

I'm not buying the car for speed, more for comfort whilst doing short and long journeys. I love the feature for the extending seat base on the F-Sport model (other models too perhaps?!)

Thanks in advance.

You don't say what age of GS you are thinking of.

Seats are a little bigger than IS which may be all you need. If you get a top of the range GS then the drivers seat should have cushion length adjustment.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

GS250 Was only available ~2012-2014. F-sport does have additional support for legs (as illustrated by button on the top right), but I am not sure if this seat function is standard on F-Sport and Premier, or is it something like "premium 8/10 ways adjustable seat option". 

d4fbbcce9b9c468dadbc7b7034a03862.jpg

I would say choosing the car only because of that would be weak argument. GS250 isn't updated engine compared to IS250 - it is exactly the same. I would seriously consider getting GS450h if you looking into mk4 GS - it is both more powerful and fuel efficient and lower to tax, whereas it isn't that much more expensive to buy. Road tax on GS250 is £330 vs £155 on 450h.

Hey Chan. Can you get to a dealer to at least sit in any GS? I assume that would give you an idea at least. I think we're allowed to do that...

I'd go for a GS250 all day long. Just like I would go for the facelift IS250, another rare one. Nothing wrong with the hybrids, they're marvellous. But I'm not interested in speed, just comfort. And I like the idea of a more modern Lexus but with a more traditional 6 cylinder.

• Like 1

The additional leg support was available on the F Sport and Premier grade 4GS. I’m not sure if the Premier was available on the GS250 but I’m someone will confirm shortly. 
One thing to consider is that the boot in the GS250 will be slightly larger than the GS450h/300h due to the batteries these models have to accommodate. Either way, the boot is still larger than the IS250. 

• Like 1

The following is text taken from the press release outlining the trim grades for the 250 model of the fourth gen GS. There is no Premier option.

UK Grade structure

Entry point to the new GS range is the GS 250 SE, powered by a 207bhp (154kW) 2.5-litre V6 Dual VVT-i petrol engine. The specification includes 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic bi-xenon headlamps and windscreen wipers, LED daytime running lights and a rear-view camera with parking guide monitor. Cabin comfort is assured with smooth leather upholstery, dual-zone climate control and electrically adjustable front seats (10-way, with memory setting for the driver’s seat) with heating and ventilation functions. The steering wheel is electrically adjustable, too, and incorporates paddle shifts. On-board entertainment is provided by a 12-speaker audio system with CD player, DAB tuner, Bluetooth and USB/Aux ports for connecting personal music players.

The Luxury trim builds on the SE specification with the introduction of 18-inch alloys, front and rear parking sensors, an auto-dimming rear-view mirror and an HDD satellite navigation system with Remote Touch Interface controller. Luxury grade also provides a new blind spot detection system integrated into the folding/auto-dimming door mirrors.

F Sport versions of GS make a stronger style statement thanks to 19-inch rims, a boot-lip spoiler and sports-styled bumpers and front grille with a distinctive F Sport mesh design. In addition to the Luxury specification, the F Sport has bi-xenon headlights with an automatic high beam function, as well Lexus’s Adaptive Front-lighting System, which adjusts the beam direction as the car approaches bends and turns at junctions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Seats are a little bigger than IS which may be all you need. If you get a top of the range GS then the drivers seat should have cushion length adjustment.

Hi there,

Sorry, I made an assumption as I thought the GS250 only came in from 2012 onwards.

Thanks, that's exactly what I'm looking for.

19 hours ago, Linas.P said:

GS250 Was only available ~2012-2014. F-sport does have additional support for legs (as illustrated by button on the top right), but I am not sure if this seat function is standard on F-Sport and Premier, or is it something like "premium 8/10 ways adjustable seat option". 

d4fbbcce9b9c468dadbc7b7034a03862.jpg

I would say choosing the car only because of that would be weak argument. GS250 isn't updated engine compared to IS250 - it is exactly the same. I would seriously consider getting GS450h if you looking into mk4 GS - it is both more powerful and fuel efficient and lower to tax, whereas it isn't that much more expensive to buy. Road tax on GS250 is £330 vs £155 on 450h.

I'm not sure about which particular models have it, but I have seen it on F Sport's mainly.

My car choice isn't an argument, it's more of a carefully thought out decision and this discussion forms part of that larger process.

Isn't the GS250 206bhp vs the IS250 204bhp? Being pedantic, I wouldn't call it 'exactly' the same. Very similar, yes.

I wouldn't consider the GS450h as per my original reasons, because the boot is smaller and ultimately more to go wrong. Shouldn't but I'd rather not take the chance if I don't need to. 

Did you read my original post?

8 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Hey Chan. Can you get to a dealer to at least sit in any GS? I assume that would give you an idea at least. I think we're allowed to do that...

I'd go for a GS250 all day long. Just like I would go for the facelift IS250, another rare one. Nothing wrong with the hybrids, they're marvellous. But I'm not interested in speed, just comfort. And I like the idea of a more modern Lexus but with a more traditional 6 cylinder.

This is something I'll definitely be doing, I'll possibly nip into a dealer I saw selling one somewhere near Thurrock (not a Main dealer, just a used car dealer)

Is there any reason specifically you'd go for it? Yes, comfort and bit more practicality would be nice. The 6 cylinder is definitely a huge bonus, especially while we still can!!

1 hour ago, Chris111 said:

The following is text taken from the press release outlining the trim grades for the 250 model of the fourth gen GS. There is no Premier option.

UK Grade structure

Entry point to the new GS range is the GS 250 SE, powered by a 207bhp (154kW) 2.5-litre V6 Dual VVT-i petrol engine. The specification includes 17-inch alloy wheels, automatic bi-xenon headlamps and windscreen wipers, LED daytime running lights and a rear-view camera with parking guide monitor. Cabin comfort is assured with smooth leather upholstery, dual-zone climate control and electrically adjustable front seats (10-way, with memory setting for the driver’s seat) with heating and ventilation functions. The steering wheel is electrically adjustable, too, and incorporates paddle shifts. On-board entertainment is provided by a 12-speaker audio system with CD player, DAB tuner, Bluetooth and USB/Aux ports for connecting personal music players.

The Luxury trim builds on the SE specification with the introduction of 18-inch alloys, front and rear parking sensors, an auto-dimming rear-view mirror and an HDD satellite navigation system with Remote Touch Interface controller. Luxury grade also provides a new blind spot detection system integrated into the folding/auto-dimming door mirrors.

F Sport versions of GS make a stronger style statement thanks to 19-inch rims, a boot-lip spoiler and sports-styled bumpers and front grille with a distinctive F Sport mesh design. In addition to the Luxury specification, the F Sport has bi-xenon headlights with an automatic high beam function, as well Lexus’s Adaptive Front-lighting System, which adjusts the beam direction as the car approaches bends and turns at junctions.

Thanks for this, I take it this should mean all trims will have it? I'll look out for it as I saw a great video showing the actual features yesterday:

35 minutes ago, JDM-Fiend said:

I wouldn't consider the GS450h as per my original reasons, because the boot is smaller and ultimately more to go wrong.

Boot is smaller on the 300h/450h but still bigger than your IS250.

Nothing wrong with the GS250 but just be aware that they didn't sell many so are difficult to find. Depreciation is high (good if you are being used and will keep for a long time). Fuel consumption is high. Road tax is high.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JDM-Fiend said:

Isn't the GS250 206bhp vs the IS250 204bhp? Being pedantic, I wouldn't call it 'exactly' the same. Very similar, yes.

I wouldn't consider the GS450h as per my original reasons, because the boot is smaller and ultimately more to go wrong. Shouldn't but I'd rather not take the chance if I don't need to. 

The number they quote are little bit irrelevant, it is identical engine. No revision in any engine part 4GR-FSE is rated for 200-212hp and this number varies depending on the car it is in. 204hp is quoted on mk3 IS and mk2 sometimes is quoted as having 208hp, sometimes as 205hp. Even if there is 2hp difference which I doubt, then it may be to do with slightly different layout of air intake or exhaust, maybe exhaust manifolds are different etc.

Sure, I remember looking at high miles GS450h at one point and considering the worst case scenario... like what if may engine blows-up and in IS250 that (or GS250) for that matter it is not a big deal, used engines are plentiful and cheap. But say GS450h Battery, gearbox or Battery fails (indeed unlikely, but worst case scenario) you looking at much higher bill and no way doing it on the cheap.

I did read your post, but I am looking into this way - somebody asks whenever they should go for mk4 GS... and above is my opinion whenever you should or shouldn't. Overall, I consider GS mk4 to be the only worthy upgrade in Lexus line-up to IS250 mk2, especially considering this is the only way to have little bit more powerful Lexus than IS250, which I thought was right on the limit to be called sluggish.

Now in mk4 GS you have 3 choices - 250, 300h and 450h as you know. All of them benefit from larger and better quality interior and are whole generation more modern. The difference is only engine power and 250 is slightly slower and less exciting because GS is bigger and heavier car, 300h is more economical, but it is significantly slower and not V6... 450h is as economical, much more powerful and it is V6.

In the end of the day it is your money, so you will decide what to buy, but I would give you bad advice is I don't advise you to consider 450h, because it is better car in all possible ways. Don't forget that GS450h is better equipped even comparing F-sport to F-sport... it will be minor things, but GS450h has more of them. So for the price of GS450h you just getting more car and it is more desirable, cheaper to tax... so it will be easier to sell if you come to it. 

Finally, regarding the boot - sure GS250 has slightly bigger boot, but I would argue not more useful. When it comes to boot, the folding seats makes day an night difference if GS250 would have folding seats and GS450h didn't then I would say - yes that is massive (neither of them has it), but few extra mm here and there makes very little difference. Boot in both cars will be bigger than IS250.

I am new here and new to Lexus to take with a grain of salt.

I recently (Dec) sold my 2016 RX450h back to a main dealer as we were not really using it (<1000 miles a year), and took a 2013 GS250 (Luxury or whatever the non F-Sport is) and cash.

I was not that amazed by the RX powertrain - it is fine but growls quite loudly even on mild throttle applications (particularly on low speed inclines), probably due to the CVT which I also did not love.  Hence why a GS250 rather than a hybrid.

Anyway, point is other than these two cars I am new to Lexus, so some of what follows will not be new to you.

1) the GS second row is spacious - our young children have enormous car seats (Axkid One and Britax Romer Duelfix i-size) and there is no problem for them at all.  In fact they got a pretty good deal because...

2) ...the GS front row is not at all spacious - it feels positively tiny after the RX.  It feels very narrow and the windscreen feels close (in the RX it feels about 500 feet away so probably an unfortunate and rare transition that I have made....)  The storage is very limited, the cup holders are pathetic.  It feels very dated.  It is an old car and feels it more so than the IS250 of the same vintage, in my opinion.

3) boot is huge, as much usable space as the RX just about, but the boot lid is quite small so obviously its not as easy getting stuff in and out.

4) the GS250 throttle tip in calibration is easily the worst I've experienced on any car, maybe I have driven around 300 different cars - it is comparable to early generation DSG's.  Maybe it is a Lexus 'character point', I don't have the history/context.  Looking into the APEXi or whatever, sounded pretty dodgy in terms of heat issues over time - but maybe I need to keep researching.  I find it mystifying how such a terrible calibration can come from an OEM but what do I know.  It makes the car a pain to drive smoothly and I take delight in that sort of thing and am pretty OCD so it is driving me slightly crazy as I want to like this car.

5) the engine in the GS250 is not new of course, but it is quite interesting to me, it basically generates all its torque down low like a turbo unit (I've not looked at the charts but that is how it drives and I've had a string of C-Class and 3-Series 4cyl turbo petrols), you have to be quite committed to really rev it.  So it happily punts along but should you wish to go crazy there is actually nothing much further there - I vaguely remember this sensation from a mates 2013 IS250 F-Sport back in Aus.  That is fine and suits me but the 450h, even in the RX which has a preposterous amount of weight, can move when needed.

Not sure if that helps.  In terms of reliability the car I got had only done 36,500 miles but they must have been tough city miles.  The folding mirrors sound like they have the weight of the world on their shoulders, new ball bearings needed (thankfully picked that up pre delivery) and I reckon the exhaust is rusted to hell - the car sounds dreadful when cold, will need to take it back etc.  Suspect lots of short London trips - poor car.

Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

:laugh:

3 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

Is there any reason specifically you'd go for it? Yes, comfort and bit more practicality would be nice. The 6 cylinder is definitely a huge bonus, especially while we still can!!

That pretty much sums it up.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, JDM-Fiend said:

I take it this should mean all trims will have it?

Sorry that is not the case. Only the F Sport model has this function.

The fist picture is from a 'Luxury' drivers seat and the second from a 'F Sport'. As @Linas.Pstated above the button is on the top right.

luxury seat.jpg

f sport seat.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chris111 said:

Sorry that is not the case. Only the F Sport model has this function.

The fist picture is from a 'Luxury' drivers seat and the second from a 'F Sport'. As @Linas.Pstated above the button is on the top right.

luxury seat.jpg

f sport seat.jpg

Thanks for this, makes sense now. Odd that the luxury doesn't have it, not very 'Luxury' is it 😂 

I'm also concerned about catalytic converter theft on the hybrid models, there has been a few thefts locally on both petrol cars and also hybrid cars. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links