Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

4 years and bye

9 hours ago, Las Palmas said:

Should I ever win the largest lottery, I would buy an old Porsche 959 and modify the engine and tank so it could drive on hydrogen.

Ha! love the idea! crazy as a crazy can be just because you can.. Mind you buying the holy grail of Porsches will set you back a million and a half then rebuilding it on hydro could go for another 200k and in the process the value of the car will be destroyed as it is no longer original but you will have lots of fun so go for it!

On 3/12/2021 at 1:41 PM, Vince Donald said:

Never had so many people talk to me about my car before, and heads turning, even had a group of Mums walking their kids to school this morning craning round as they crossed over the zebra crossing 😁

Vince 

That was probably because of the Mankini you were wearing, rather than the car!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dutchie01 said:

Who winning the biggest lottery would bother if the original value of a car was destroyed if it could be driven without polluting by somebody who would love that? Not me.

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 9:46 PM, David lings said:

A modern hybrid Lexus cannot be classed as a ‘reliable’ car in my experience.

I had an old IS200 (2000 vintage) that never missed a beat.

I traded it in for a 3+ year old hybrid IS and it is very poor for reliability. Over 14 days it let me down 5 times.

I would would have been lost without Lexus Assist.

My next car will also most likely be of Korean manufacture.

WHAT!!!!!

I would argue totally the opposite, a modern Lexus IS the definition of reliability.

my 300h did 180,000 miles before giving any hint of trouble, that’s 12 years worth of motoring in 5 years.

you had bad luck, your experience is not typical of Lexus or Toyota hybrids 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 10:46 PM, David lings said:

A modern hybrid Lexus cannot be classed as a ‘reliable’ car in my experience.

I traded it in for a 3+ year old hybrid IS and it is very poor for reliability. Over 14 days it let me down 5 times.

I

Interesting David.  Can you let us know what went wrong 5 times in 2 weeks?

just looking back through the posts here david lings mentioned

his car let him down 5 times in 2 weeks i asked if it was Battery

related and no response from him.

If you look back through David's posts it seems like he did not have a good experience when going to the dealer for a drive of an IS 300h car and then after purchasing a 2019 IS 300h was let down 5 times in the first 3 weeks due to an issue with the 12V Battery. The Battery was replaced by Lexus and his comment was "Since the new Battery was fitted “so far so good”.".

Clearly there was an issue with his 12V Battery - could have been due to the time it was at the dealer before being sold or due to the previous owner - we will never know. Certainly in normal operating conditions the 12V Battery on a 2019 car should not have been an issue (I am still on my original 12V Battery on my 2014 IS 300h with 103k miles on it). I can understand his frustrations having just purchased the car though and maybe not had the best dealer experience.

On any car purchased second-hand however this issue could occur, especially after the issues of cars stood not being driven over the pandemic, and certainly doesn't make them "unreliable". Carrying one of the glovebox starter packs is a sensible idea for any car (I carry one just in case and in fact used it to start someone else's car in a car park the other day to get them mobile). Yes, there are a few additional thoughts for a hybrid such as keep it in Ready mode when using the electrics rather than just using the 12V Battery (but I follow the same thought for any other ICE car having experienced a flat Battery in an ICE in the same circumstances and at least a hybrid only starts the engine now and again) and not to leave the car in N in Ready mode but only in P or D otherwise the traction Battery doesn't charge (but that's in the manual). Once we all have to move to BEVs and the new procedures needed for those, goodness knows what will happen if the above is such a big issue...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Can I ask Phil out of interest what glovebox battery charger use? 

I purchased a DB Power 400A 12,000mAh Portable Car Jump Starter at the end of 2016. I can at least say it worked when needed to help someone else (started a diesel van with a flat battery). 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 200h said:

just looking back through the posts here david lings mentioned

his car let him down 5 times in 2 weeks i asked if it was battery

related and no response from him.

I think I've had to jump start my IS300h about 2 or 3 times now due to me not using it and failing to heed the advice from Lexus on running it in Ready for an hour a week. I really should trade it in for something more reliable. Lexus - hang your heads in shame. Call yourselves Paragons of Reliability? I think not.... (tongueincheeksmiley)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Quite frankly everything I have read would not put me off buying an IS/300h! If it is just a case of buying a small jump starter for the odd occasion the Battery goes flat then as far as I am concerned no worries. 

Others can buy a Mercedes or BMW and not have to worry about their Battery reliability - they just have to worry about everything else on their car!

Yes, it is an issue, but not insurmountable.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Spacewagon52 said:

Quite frankly everything I have read would not put me off buying an IS/300h! If it is just a case of buying a small jump starter for the odd occasion the battery goes flat then as far as I am concerned no worries. 

Others can buy a Mercedes or BMW and not have to worry about their battery reliability - they just have to worry about everything else on their car!

Yes, it is an issue, but not insurmountable.

Quite - I don't get all the angst about the 12V Battery in Lexus. In my BMW the Battery died with little warning and I had to get a jump start and fitted a new Battery as it was by then quite old. In my wife's Honda she flattened the Battery leaving the radio on (without the engine running) whilst waiting to pick up my daughter - I had to go out and jump start the car and then replaced the Battery a few months later as it didn't hold charge again properly. In my daughters Fiesta the Battery died with no prior warning - just wouldn't start the car after being left for a day in a car park. She got a bump start to get home and I went and replaced the Battery for her. Batteries fail, sometimes with little or no prior warning. Lexus are no different in that respect. I have always carried jump leads in my previous cars and now carry the jump starter pack (which is great for a hybrid as they need so little power anyway if the 12V Battery dies) - simples!

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links