Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys I have a 2012 GS450H  and I will be upgrading  at some stage , but not sure to what as the car is to me incredible,  has anyone  upgraded  to the RX 45h , LS600H / 500H , the ES is out engine  not got the grunt I like in the GS , other options  Porche  Cayenne,  Rangerover  or Volvo xc90  T8.

On 3/8/2021 at 6:15 PM, black400 said:

Hi guys I have a 2012 GS450H  and I will be upgrading  at some stage , but not sure to what as the car is to me incredible,  has anyone  upgraded  to the RX 45h , LS600H / 500H , the ES is out engine  not got the grunt I like in the GS , other options  Porche  Cayenne,  Rangerover  or Volvo xc90  T8.

When mines get super old etc I hope to be able to afford a newer Gs 450h I’ve no interest in the alternatives such as bmw m5 or unreliable Audi (a6) etc the Lexus 500 would be my dream car if I won the lottery  😊

The problem with wanting to 'upgrade' from a Lexus GS, especially a 450h....is that there really isn't an awful lot out there that's worth upgrading to. If you are going large German badged then you may get a bit more grunt, a bit more driving experience, probably more street cred. However you will almost certainly pay a price in reliability and some expensive repairs for items you've problem never ever heard of await. 

I guess for me an upgrade from my early GS250 to a later GS450 is a logical one. 

18 minutes ago, Arnett said:

I agree. Definitely the only real option 😏

Highly debateable Sam ?

F will have a harder and firmer  ride, no additional power, higher insurance, more expensive parts.......but beauty is  indeed in the eye of the beholder. So each to their own.

An upgrade in the Lexus range is debatably a move to ES or LS ?

4 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`m happy to be proved wrong Colin.

well one has 341 bhp and the other has 471 bhp - in my book that is a substantial increase in power. Plus the one with more power has less weight so power/weight ratio is even greater.

Possibly you are confusing a GS F with a GS450h F-Sport?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

well one has 341 bhp and the other has 471 bhp - in my book that is a substantial increase in power. Plus the one with more power has less weight so power/weight ratio is even greater.

I am indeed Colin.Thanks for the heads up !

The ride in the GSF is also very good, insurance is cheaper than our RX450H and equal to our IS250 at the time of change over, extended warranty is the same as a regular 4GS and servicing costs are reasonable. Fuel and brakes are more expensive though but worth it IMO 😊

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Cheers, for the clarification😏

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

I`m happy to be proved wrong Colin.

I've learned something tonight too. Didn't realise the GSF was available in the UK! Thought it was an American only model. 

So yes, there's an 'in house' upgrade path from a GS450h if you want something outrageously fast.

As per usual the motoring press reviewers aren't overly kind but as we all 'get' Lexus cars and the pros of owning one that's not really a problem. 

You suggested an ES as an upgrade option. Very viable if you aren't overly worried about pace. Quite a few of us are happy with brisk performance as the other factors such as a ride, comfort, quality etc are more of a priority than sheer performance. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, superatticman said:

I've learned something tonight too. Didn't realise the GSF was available in the UK! Thought it was an American only model. 

So yes, there's an 'in house' upgrade path from a GS450h if you want something outrageously fast.

They are available but only approximately 62 were ever purchased new in this country. Many started life as dealer / Lexus corporate and press cars. They are a relatively rare model in the UK. 

3 hours ago, black400 said:

Tax in Ireland  would kill any idea  of a gsf😭

Tax in Ireland is so stupidly made that today you can buy a brand new 2021 RX 450H 3.5cc for 87,600 euros and pay only 260 euros in motor tax or you can buy a 2007 second hand GS450H for 5,499 euros and pay 1,809 euros in motor tax. I have a 2004 Prius which is worth maybe 1,000 euros and I pay 413 euros in motor tax, so I pay more than somebody who can afford a brand new RX. There are plenty of second hand cars in good condition (Audi, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW) with engines over 3.0cc which cost between 2,000 and 5,000 euros because they are 15 years old and nobody buy them because of the expensive motor tax. The motor tax should be calculated according to the engine capacity (for cars registered before 2008) or to the emissions (for cars registered from 2008) but also and especially according to the current value of the car. It is not acceptable that you spend 70-80-90,000 euros on a brand new car and pay less than somebody who has a little 1.4cc 15 years-old car. I am surprised that nobody in Ireland is questioning this and the government recently has introduced different criteria to calculate the motor tax which unfortunately do not consider the value of the car. Sometimes I wonder where these politicians live. See below for some examples:

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars?make=Lexus;model:LS,GS,GS Hybrid&year_to=2008

3 hours ago, superatticman said:

As per usual the motoring press reviewers aren't overly kind but as we all 'get' Lexus cars and the pros of owning one that's not really a problem. 

You say that but... Clarkson sang it's praises, Chris Harris sang it's praises aswell. Motoring enthusiast journalists all loved the GSF unlike the marmite RCF. 

Over 20% of them are owned by LOC members also. 😅

I think it just reached the end of further development. They weren't selling enough and the whole marque is swinging towards further electrification - the main thing then is lack of EV range. Not worth doing anything about that when hardly anyone is buying saloons - everyone and his dog wants an SUV - thereby cancelling out any benefits from going electric. Wonder how long the ES will last......

• Like 1