Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Window and weather seals, suspension/stiffness improvements

open top

Hi,

Had a search for threads and advice on the best places to purchase SC430 replacement window and weather seals, but unless I've missed something not found what I need.

Can any forum members help me?

Coming to the end of a major SC430 refurb and want to replace any damaged or perished, less than perfect original seals with brand new to make sure all are 100% water and wind tight and to improve aesthetics as the car has had a full respray and much cosmetic work and I don't want old seals ruining the final look. Obvious source is the local Lexus dealer, but no doubt I will be charged through the nose for replacement parts.

Does anyone have any suggestions for other sources/suppliers or can recommend a supplier used for replacement OEM seals themselves that I can contact, but at better value than main dealer mark up?

Car is a 2007 facelift model.

And, who would be the forum guru(s) to chat with about any body stiffness/suspension improvements? Again read about Meister replacements and stiffening braces, but unclear if these are actually what I want. Not a mechanic so someone else would be fitting any parts for me, but advice required about what I need to purchase.

It's an original, unmodified factory example. I don't want to go faster, lower it, add bigger wheels, change bodywork or the factory finish in any way. My car is used as a GT, driven very relaxed and unhurried. I want the quietest, most serene, luxurious, magic carpet ride possible, so the only improvements would be reducing any shake or noise if possible over Britain's potholed, utility company dug up and badly filled in roads. It's perfect already on flat, smooth motorway, but I don't use these most of the time.

Many thanks for the help.

Thicker anti-roll bars would provide a little less lean and more stiffness in the bends but I think what you're really after as a priority is a suspension set up that soaks up the bumps. Replacing the old with new or slightly uprated gas struts might be all that's required in this case. 

On standard size tyres, adjustable coilovers would be an improvement over stock with the benefit of having some adjustment to suit the individual. They can be set to the original height of course but a standard style alternative solution to the much favoured coilover may provide a better damping rate for comfort.

Neil has answered some of your question. The one concerning trim and rubber seals they are without doubt main dealer only, so time to bit the bullet.

The good thing about Toyota/ Lexus is they keep the genuine spares available for longer than some manufacturers.

as you’ve said you like original and genuine so buy the quality seals to get the job done .

I think this would be a dealer only part - The LS430 has 2 door seals - the upper ones were very slightly starting to perish and they cost £60 each from the dealer - very easy to fit and perfect aswell.

The rear ones were cheaper £35 I think

I think thats quite reasonable

Below are lists of the seals for both the doors and windows and corresponding prices! The clips alone come in at over £2.00 each x 20.

If the rubber is undamaged “Gummi Pledge” is good to treat it or “Back to Black” to restore the colour and freshness, that’s all I use on my 27 year old LS.

Finally let’s see the car....pictures are always welcome 😀

9CDA006F-2338-4685-BA50-BCC7CCD49CDF.png

243E6F16-8490-4348-9E51-11EC41AEB37F.png

• Like 3

Hi

Many thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciate your time.

Lots of good info for me to get on with.

Pictures of the final renovation are no problem once it's been finished. If my suppliers are happy with me making them available I also can also pass on their details for other interested members. The refurb of the interior should be something particularly special and of interest to anyone who thinks the vinyl fixtures can be improved.

3 hours ago, open top said:

Hi

Many thanks for the advice everyone. Much appreciate your time.

Lots of good info for me to get on with.

Pictures of the final renovation are no problem once it's been finished. If my suppliers are happy with me making them available I also can also pass on their details for other interested members. The refurb of the interior should be something particularly special and of interest to anyone who thinks the vinyl fixtures can be improved.

Hi any think like this interior ......https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LEXUS-430SC/274714587576?hash=item3ff643f1b8:g:7agAAOSwTQxgO-Y3

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 13.34.55.png

Interesting interior. Diamond pattern looks good.

Keeping mine classic as all black anyway, in good condition and factory Lexus nappa was top notch to start with so difficult to improve on. They are definitely one of the softest, best feeling leather car interiors I've sat on. Just cleaning, feeding, minor repairs where required to bring it back to as new condition. My interior thing is to have most of the vinyl covered parts recovered in matching black nappa to the upholstery, so dash cover, steering wheel, steering column cowl, door cappings, inserts etc. I don't want to see a scrap of black plastic in the car. Polished up the wood inserts and new lambswool over rugs by a company called Easirider for the footwells. As much as is possible I'm after a 'japanese bentley' experience for post covid road trips and driving holidays without the worry of british bentley running and repair costs.

Pics will follow, but to the casual observer or a quick glance you won't see much difference to factory spec.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links