Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

VW Golf GTE mk7.5

BoutTime

Has anyone on here driven a VW Golf GTE? I’ve been looking closely at these online and they look like they might be a very decent replacement for my current CT200h. 28 mile round trip for school run could be pretty much done on electric only at the cost of just over £1. Loads of tech in the highly specced Advance model. All the benefits of an electric car when driven locally with no range anxiety for longer trips when it can be used just like a traditional hybrid. 200HP too and up to 80mph on just electric.

The trouble is I really do like my CT and like owning a Lexus.

10 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Point taken...I just wanted the thoughts of a fellow Lexus owner. It's a shame Lexus don't do Phevs.

`t being funny Ricky, it`s just that you will more than likely get the information you require, over there.

25 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

`t being funny Ricky, it`s just that you will more than likely get the information you require, over there.

That's my point John. I've already read and watched loads. I just wanted to know if any Lexus owners had driven one so I could hear their thoughts.

• Like 1

Used to drive a lot fo these for work.
Firstly 28miles? Normal driving is around 20.
Highest is around 25 in summer in perfect conditions and no aircon etc (not easily achieved).
Winter, faster driving etc around 15.
Car does feel a little heavy but it feels heavy low down centre of gravity.
It has enough pick and go. Fairly comfortable but there were always thuds and funny noises coming from transmission, engine etc.
The passat was much better in this area and more comfortable, isolated etc.
Quite a few recalls regarding batteries and connecting parts and I think some pump, just  make sure these are done.
Uneven tyre wear due to the way the car is set up I think, and it likes to chew them up.
Some people compared it to a gti, not even close. Well not in the fun driving factor.
I cant remember exactly but 80mph electric alone? Think engine came in a lot sooner than that.
Great for around town, short journeys etc.

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boo said:

Used to drive a lot fo these for work.
Firstly 28miles? Normal driving is around 20.
Highest is around 25 in summer in perfect conditions and no aircon etc (not easily achieved).
Winter, faster driving etc around 15.
Car does feel a little heavy but it feels heavy low down centre of gravity.
It has enough pick and go. Fairly comfortable but there were always thuds and funny noises coming from transmission, engine etc.
The passat was much better in this area and more comfortable, isolated etc.
Quite a few recalls regarding batteries and connecting parts and I think some pump, just  make sure these are done.
Uneven tyre wear due to the way the car is set up I think, and it likes to chew them up.
Some people compared it to a gti, not even close. Well not in the fun driving factor.
I cant remember exactly but 80mph electric alone? Think engine came in a lot sooner than that.
Great for around town, short journeys etc.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for this. It’s pretty much in keeping with everything I’ve read and watched. It’s probably the perfect car for my use case. Short journeys with occasional long motorway trips. But my biggest concern would be reliability as that’s why I bought a Lexus. The Hybrid system is well established with Lexus/Toyota but very new to VW.

From what I gather if you drive the Golf in hybrid mode it will use Battery until only 3 miles of range is left and then revert to traditional mild hybrid in the same way that Lexus drive. So on a 30 mile round trip of country roads with a bit of regen braking it will probably start using the engine when I’m on my way back and close to home.

A video I just watched stated on a 30 trip he got 108 mpg when starting with a fully charged Battery. That’s good enough for me.

Im in no rush. I love my CT for many reasons so I’m in no real need of having to get anything else. But I do like the spec on the GTE Advance.

One thing I would say is the tyres make a huge difference on this car. Try and go for some comfort orientated tyres, changes the car completely, you will enjoy it so much more.

If it still has the OEM Bridgestone S001. It will give a weird feel going over potholes and crevices. Not sure how to describe it but it feels rather heavy, harsh, inappropriate and tiresome. However they are really good at corner gripping but how often will you throw it through corners like that? Probably not that often. You end up weaving about on the road to avoid the imperfections. Any sporty tyre also gives this weird feel albeit to a lesser degree.
Good luck GTE hunting.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Boo said:

One thing I would say is the tyres make a huge difference on this car. Try and go for some comfort orientated tyres, changes the car completely, you will enjoy it so much more.

If it still has the OEM Bridgestone S001. It will give a weird feel going over potholes and crevices. Not sure how to describe it but it feels rather heavy, harsh, inappropriate and tiresome. However they are really good at corner gripping but how often will you throw it through corners like that? Probably not that often. You end up weaving about on the road to avoid the imperfections. Any sporty tyre also gives this weird feel albeit to a lesser degree.
Good luck GTE hunting.

I read one long term test where they swapped the tyres out for Coss Climates and they said it transformed the car. Much quieter, better fuel economy and comfort.

I have these on my CT and they're a great tyre without doubt. I would swap back.

I went for a test drive of one. The car had me in it and 2 sales guys. It was in Leeds at the time and I drove it like I stole it aswell as sedately. With foot firmly to the floor it certainly shifted. Well impressed by that. Also how it takes off in electric only mode was impressive. As for mpg I can't comment. However I've noticed that their are at least a couple different spec of GTE. And to be honest for what they are they're too expensive.

Ok you have a CT. Have you had a go in the UX? If not I strongly urge and recommend you do. I had one for a day as a curtacy car whilst my is250 was in for service. WOW what a car. Definitely 70mph on electric. I did 47 miles in that car. Drove it like I stole it and normally. When I gave the car back they asked me if I'd like to know what mpg I managed. Errrrr ok I said sh***I g myself. You managed 51mpg and was on Battery alone for 48% of the time. 

If I had the money I'd buy one within a heartbeat. Compared to the golf? Forget the golf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

I went for a test drive of one. The car had me in it and 2 sales guys. It was in Leeds at the time and I drove it like I stole it aswell as sedately. With foot firmly to the floor it certainly shifted. Well impressed by that. Also how it takes off in electric only mode was impressive. As for mpg I can't comment. However I've noticed that their are at least a couple different spec of GTE. And to be honest for what they are they're too expensive.

Ok you have a CT. Have you had a go in the UX? If not I strongly urge and recommend you do. I had one for a day as a curtacy car whilst my is250 was in for service. WOW what a car. Definitely 70mph on electric. I did 47 miles in that car. Drove it like I stole it and normally. When I gave the car back they asked me if I'd like to know what mpg I managed. Errrrr ok I said sh***I g myself. You managed 51mpg and was on battery alone for 48% of the time. 

If I had the money I'd buy one within a heartbeat. Compared to the golf? Forget the golf.

Thanks for this. I do actually like the UX in the right colour and right spec. Just a little bit too expensive for me still.

We test drop a Toyota CH-R for my wife which I think has the same hybrid system but it was a 1.8. We averaged 68mpg on the 25 minute test drive. Nice car that.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links