Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cruise control RX450

I don't have the answer to your question Jim, but mine only increases/decreases about 1 mph.  Don't know how you set it , sorry.  Don't have mine to hand, but maybe the manual has a clue within ?

2 hours ago, Cypry 1 said:

When using the cruise I notice that you can only increase the speed in 5mph increments, is there any way that this can be changed to 1mph increments

Mine goes up/down by 1mph each time I just quickly flip the stalk up or down.

11 hours ago, steveledzep said:

I don't have the answer to your question Jim, but mine only increases/decreases about 1 mph.  Don't know how you set it , sorry.  Don't have mine to hand, but maybe the manual has a clue within ?

1 hour ago, Barry14UK said:

Mine same as Herbs - increase/decrease depends on how long lever held if not momentarily flicked.

I'll second what Barry said, Jim, just the briefest 'flick' changes it by 1 mph on our beastie

19 hours ago, Cypry 1 said:

When using the cruise I notice that you can only increase the speed in 5mph increments, is there any way that this can be changed to 1mph increments

Normally 5 mph increments indicates you have Adaptive Cruise Control.

If you have this then I think you can change the mode to standard cruise control by pressing and holding the on/off button for 1.5 seconds - you will then have 1 mph increments, but obviously it isn't going to automatically slow down with traffic. This works for many Lexus vehicles, not sure about the 2010 RX.

Otherwise you would have to increase the speed yourself via the throttle, pull the level towards you to cancel and then press down to set at the new speed - but the next time you move the level up/down it will round up/down to the nearest 5 mph again.

Colin is correct the 5mph increments works in adaptive (radar) cruise. If you have it, when you switch cruise on it will say radar ready in the centre display. To change to normal you need to push the cruise stalk forward when stationary. As an aside when the wipers go into high speed it disables the radar cruise. This fooled me for a time.

• 1 year later...

The 5mph increments are a Europe-only feature/insanely-dangerous-and-stupid-bug. Everywhere else gets 1mph increments.  Can this setting be changed? Has anyone achieved or tried this?

4 minutes ago, wally12 said:

The 5mph increments are a Europe-only feature/insanely-dangerous-and-stupid-bug. Everywhere else gets 1mph increments.  Can this setting be changed? Has anyone achieved or tried this?

As quoted above not if you are using Adaptive Cruise Control, switch to normal cruise control and you get 1mph increments. If you want a particular speed (say 68mph), switch on the ACC and accelerate to the required speed and set. It will them hold that speed. I use it this way most of the time.

Why is it insanely dangerous and stupid? Never had any problem using it.

5 minutes ago, Moleman said:

As quoted above not if you are using Adaptive Cruise Control, switch to normal cruise control and you get 1mph increments. If you want a particular speed (say 68mph), switch on the ACC and accelerate to the required speed and set. It will them hold that speed. I use it this way most of the time.

Why is it insanely dangerous and stupid? Never had any problem using it.

Bear in mind that everywhere else in the world gets 1 mph increments for ACC. So Lexus chose to do this for Europe only. Also, every other car in the world uses 1 mph/kph increments.

If I’m driving in a 50 avg speed zone for 20 miles and I want to gently overtake someone (as happens all the time), I don’t want to jump to 55mph in one flick. In fact, that’s insane, stupid, and dangerous.

Um, - -  Wally. Although our car only has standard cruise control, when I've found myself in a similar situation of wanting to gently overtake a slightly slower vehicle, I leave the cruise control at whatever setting I've set it at previously, and simply gently accelerate to pass it, and then remove my foot from the accelerator pedal and allow the car to return to the preset speed.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, wally12 said:

Bear in mind that everywhere else in the world gets 1 mph increments for ACC. So Lexus chose to do this for Europe only. Also, every other car in the world uses 1 mph/kph increments.

If I’m driving in a 50 avg speed zone for 20 miles and I want to gently overtake someone (as happens all the time), I don’t want to jump to 55mph in one flick. In fact, that’s insane, stupid, and dangerous.

So you gently press the accelerator to overtake and when you have passed the car remove your foot from the accelerator and car returns to 50 mph. What is the issue?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, wally12 said:

While my current car has ACC previous cars have had standard CC and these increased by 1mph and 5mph depending upon the pressure used on the switch. This standard for CC. As mentioned to gently pass someone use the accelerator.

It is a little bit over the top to state - In fact, that’s insane, stupid, and dangerous.

You should always be in control of the car, ACC, CC or normal driving.

I  do agree the 5mph increment / decrement in ACC mode is annoying but I would not call it insane, stupid and dangerous.

Ok so you get 1mph changes in CC mode, but who would use that when you have ACC available?

I find it frustrating in average speed check areas where I may want to set an exact speed, but I can only do so in 5mph increments or keep cancelling and resetting to get the speed I want.

29 minutes ago, Moleman said:

So you gently press the accelerator to overtake and when you have passed the car remove your foot from the accelerator and car returns to 50 mph. What is the issue?

Stereotype forum post.

Q: Does anyone know how to do X?

You: Why would anyone want to do X? I just do Y.

2 minutes ago, wally12 said:

Stereotype forum post.

You've been told the answer.

It is not a fault or a problem.

Normal cruise gives 1mph increments, adaptive cruise gives 5mph increments. That's the way it was designed, so you have to either live with it or change cars.

It seems to me that what we have here is a perfect example of how some people seem to just 'fit' their names :laughing:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wally12 said:

Stereotype forum post.

A: X is not possible but try Y which achieves the same outcome.

Response:  What! I do not want facts or help, I want to do the impossible.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Stereotype forum post.

I understand that you're frustrated that there doesn't appear to be a programmable solution for your query, Wally.

I assume that in time you'll manage to cope with the inconvenience, and that this aberration of Lexus doesn't cause you or your passengers any danger.

Can't understand why anybody is so concerned about setting CC so precisely that they only just want to slowly pass somebody at a precise speed in 1 MPH increments.  If I am about to overtake a car which is doing say 54 mph in 60mph limit I would like to do it swiftly using accelerator and then pull in front of him or her when at a safe distance past before allowing CC to automatically take over again.  I know my car speedo and HUD read 2-3mph faster than true anyway, as is the case with most cars using standard properly inflated tyres.  If the person in front of me is cruising any faster than 54mph I would usually stay behind them in a 60 zone 

Incidentally, I have noticed that as I drive down fairly steep hills, of which there are many i Devon,  speed can exceed that set for the CC so it is sometimes necessary to lightly apply the brakes.  The radar CC may work differently in this respect.

Just another stereotype! 

23 hours ago, Spock66 said:

I  do agree the 5mph increment / decrement in ACC mode is annoying but I would not call it insane, stupid and dangerous.

Ok so you get 1mph changes in CC mode, but who would use that when you have ACC available?

I find it frustrating in average speed check areas where I may want to set an exact speed, but I can only do so in 5mph increments or keep cancelling and resetting to get the speed I want.

As someone has said elsewhere, UK limits are in 10mph intervals. So just two taps on lever should adjust to the new limit?

That said I do find my car's response is quite abrupt, either accelerating quickly or braking sharply.

A real "1st World problem" ? :g:😄

10 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

Can't understand why anybody is so concerned about setting CC so precisely that they only just want to slowly pass somebody at a precise speed in 1 MPH increments. 

I think it's because speedometers are calibrated with a percentage of error in them and some people find this frustrating, especially in motorway roadworks with average speed cams in operation.

For instance, if the car in front is driving at an indicated 50mph, when compared to a GPS reading the car may only be travelling at an actual speed of 47mph. The car behind may have a satnav or other form of GPS running, so he knows that he has 3mph to play with before exceeding the limit. Three taps of the stalk will then give him the 50mph he needs to pass the other car, who only 'thinks' he's doing 50mph, whereas just one tap at 5mph increments will see him break the limit.

• Thanks 1

Totally understand what you are saying Herbs but, really how much time is saved, how much more progress does one make?

I'd just chill and enjoy the ride 😎

• Like 1

Hate to break up the party of people queueing up to poo poo the idea that there might be anything irritating or dangerous about a cruise control that can only increase or decrease a car’s speed in 5mph increments, does anyone know the answer to the original question?

That is, is it possible to change this setting so that it matches what everyone outside of Europe gets (which is 1mph increments)?

Hate to break up the party of people queueing up to poo poo the idea that there might be anything irritating or dangerous about a cruise control that can only increase or decrease a car’s speed in 5mph increments, does anyone know the answer to the original question?

That is, is it possible to change this setting so that it matches what everyone outside of Europe gets (which is 1mph increments)?

I think Colin Barber answered this earlier in this post.

You have to switch off the adaptive radar controlled cruise control and set it as normal cruise.

Hi guys, just collected my "new to me" 69 plate IS300h on Saturday. Thought i would know how the cc worked as i also have a 2005 IS300 Sportcross....... I can see where Herbie is coming from, as i did not expect the car to brake suddenly when i was expecting a 1mph reduction! Just read-up what the solution was on youtube earlier, will test on the way home.... steep learning curve on the new one....no cassette player etc😂.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links