Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS 250 install optional modules

AntC

Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone has installed any of the optional features on their 2nd Gen IS.

More specifically, I'm referring to the following:

Adaptive front lights

Auto-dim compass rear view mirror

I did some research and did find information on other forums on installing a rear windows shade, illuminated door sills, however, I'm looking into features that offer functionality.

So, I'm considering changing the stock halogen headlights eventually, to either the aftermarket VLAND lights, or possibly the HID+DRL LED lights from the 2012 models (though this requires some modifications other than installing the headlights). My question is, is it possible to have the AFS feature on a car that does not come with it, and is it possible to wire an electric rear-view mirror, considering that the car only has a regular one.

All feature recommendations are welcome.

Thank you.

Cheers

Hello Anton,

Everything is possible, but nothing is financially feasible. When it comes to Lexus, they are really not the car which are easy to retrofit and modify in general. For comparison I know that for example common mods on BMW and Audi is to retrofit newer iDrive systems etc. On Lexus what you buy is pretty much what you get.

"Adaptive lights" - there is not such thing on IS. HIDs are self-levelling and older ones had AFS, which is something like 5% tilt when cornering, you cant even notice it unless you directly in front of the wall turning the wheels. Could AFS work on non-AFS car - it could, but you will need to retrofit a lot of things. New headlights, headlight levelling sensor with arm on the wheels and probably dozen of other things. If you have entire "donor" car it may be possible in theory, but it is not like just getting headlights with AFS on internet and fitting them to the car. 

Likewise HID+DLR likes don't have AFS, only older HID non-DLR has it. On top of that getting pair for 2012 HID+DLR lights will be half of the price of your car. Not sure how likely it is and how lucky you can get on used ones, but new ones are £1300+VAT (each). + you will need to modify wiring harness and you will need to get ballasts... and still your car is going to throw error for lights. Everything is doable, but nothing you planning to do is worthy.

In short it would be cheaper and easier just to get 2012 car which already has all the things you want and it probably would be nicer car overall, because it is newer.

Auto-dimming mirror, may be feasible, because as far as I understand it is self-contained unit. Simply plug the power and it works. Whenever car without electronic mirror has power... I don't know, I actually doubt it.

Changing aftermarket lights both front and rear would be feasible, they are relatively cheap and usually plug and play if you get right lights for your model. However, the light you get from them could be worse than original halogens, never mind HIDs.

• Thanks 1

Hello Linas,

Thank you for the detailed response.

It also crossed my mind that all these features may require additional modules to be installed that would simply not be worth the effort and price for this car. For example, I previously researched the seat memory options and as it turns out, installing it is possible as you said, but the seat memory needs a new body ECU, seat ECUs in each seat, mirror ECUs in each mirror, etc. As you said, they did not make these features easy to install and it would be better spending this money on a new car entirely that would already have them available and factory-built.

Regardless, thanks for your information on this.

I may look into the rear view mirror and possibly door sills as they seems easy enough to install.

Will make sure to update this thread if I get around to doing any of this.

Cheers

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, as it turns out, OEM illuminated door sills cost 150-200 dollars each, so that's out of the question.

I'm thinking the only upgrade that may be worth it is the headlights from the current OEM halogens. I've done some research and it seems people don't recommend putting LEDs into the halogen housings. Retrofitting the facelift model headlights does seem like a lot of work and the headlights themselves are quite expensive. I also thought about VLANDs, however, to be honest, I like the factory projector look much better and they may end up having better output than the VLAND.

Any suggestions on upgrading headlight output without having to replace the headlights entirely? I'm currently using the stock H11 halogens.

There is quite standard answer to that - get Osram Night breakers: 

https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT BREAKER LASER-Halogen headlight lamps-Car lighting-Automotive/com/en/GPS01_3043435/ZMP_4057700/

They will be stronger bulbs, yet still fully compatible with the standard halogen housings.

And yes you right - aftermarket LED lights may actually be worse. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Linas.P said:

There is quite standard answer to that - get Osram Night breakers: 

I can certainly endorse that comment.

Not long after I bought my IS250 the Dealer called to see if I was happy with the car.  Almost the only negative I had was that I found the lighting less effective than my previous Accord - and could I upgrade it to HiD bulbs.  To my surprise he told me that my model already had them!

So after researching the market, I chose the Osram Night Breaker Laser Xenon…no less!  The improvement was remarkable.  Not just on main beam but on dip - which was much more useful for me.  In our narrow country lanes a good view of the near side kerb is essential.  Previously I’d even had to turn on the fog lights to light them up.  The Osrams provided a brighter, well controlled light up and along the verge - ideal for early pothole warning.

My particularly model only needed one bulb per lamp, but yours will probably be different - and I imagine not a D4S fitting!

Yes, Osram is probably the best on Xenons as well, although on Halogens the difference is not as huge it is on Xenons.

I would argue that Night Breakers on Xenon, the difference is like double and you could buy them properly white 6000K, versus rather yellowish 4200K OEM which don't even look like Xenon.

On Halogen is it is not as massive difference, but nevertheless gives slightly brighter, sharper lights which illuminates road marginally better. Probably close to that of OEM Xenons.

Thanks for the heads up!

I think I'll research some more different bulbs and watch a few comparisons and reviews and then order some.

Will make sure to post a comparison, as well as the type of bulbs that I got.

Thanks again!

Well, after a lot of wondering and research, rather than buying better halogen bulbs, I installed an HID kit.

The installation process took some time because I had to drill the housing covers to make room for the cables, and also figure out where to strap the ballasts and canbus drivers.

To my surprise, the output is much stronger than the previous halogen bulbs and the beam pattern is the same, except the HIDs are a little bit wider.

I'll post some photos later today.

A quick question, is anyone familiar with how I can adjust the auto turn off headlight option? At the moment, headlights stay on when the engine is shut down and turn off as soon as the driver's door is open. I would like them to stay on for 15-30 seconds after exiting the car.

I have seen videos and documentation on the Lighting options available via Techstream, however, I do not seem to have this option available. Have tested using multiple different Techstream versions, as well as a different program entirely and have gone through all possible options. The lighting options menu is there, but the headlight delay option is not.

No headlight washers available with my model and no AFS. Also, just to clarify, the headlight off delay option is missing prior to the HID installation.

Indeed, I am aware that HIDs work on a lower temperature and that this may prevent snow from melting from the headlights. Regarding legal issues, I am from Bulgaria and the yearly technical inspection here is literally bare bones. They only check your brakes, emissions (in idle), and if your lights are working, not whether they are properly adjusted.

Regardless, that's not to say that I don't clean my headlights or adjust them as necessary.

I tried taking some photos of the difference between the halogens and HIDs, however, you can't even tell that they are a different color when using the phone camera. 

Having said this, I would appreciate any information on the Techstream lighting options, as far as I am aware, all 2nd GEN IS models should have them available.

Cheers

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links