Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300 to NX

Hello All,

We have been long term owners of a 2003 RX300 and we are thinking of getting a new..ish NX Fsport with Takumi pack

Has anyone made a similar move to the NX?

How did you find the difference in size and equipment etc?

How is the build quality now?

Thanks in advance

Dan

• Like 1

series 2.

Its been a great car so that's why we are looking to stay loyal to Lexus.

However the newer RX is a foot longer and now the kids are grown up and gone....well almost. We dont really need the size.

Yes the RX has grown with each generation and now the NX fits in back at the start of the RX's journey.

The NX build quality is very nice, it isn't at the current RX level and you may find one or two areas where you feel it may be less than your existing RX but on the whole, design and manufacturing techniques have improved. Obviously technology has greatly advanced - quality of the headlights and reversing camera will be far superior to your RX, plus you will get things like HUD and blind spot monitors which are things that people don't feel are necessary but once they have them they are reluctant to do without them again.

• Like 2

I went from RX400h, to RX450h and I am now on my second NX in the spec you are looking at (F-Sport Takumi).

We down sized for similar reasons to yours and don't regret the move. The NX certainly is not as quick, but is plenty quick enough on today's roads and is more manageable  from a size perspective. It is not hugely smaller, but it's enough to make a difference in town and when parking. It is of course cheaper to run, although beware of the road tax!

I find the car very smooth (especially with Michelin Cross Climate tyres), and that version comes fully loaded with gadgets and an excellent sound system. A facelifted version will come with Android Auto / apple Car Play compatibility too.

Interestingly, some people have reported that the seats in the F-Sport are uncomfortable and the ride too harsh. Personally, I much prefer the F-Sport seats to the 'standard' ones, and I find the stiffer suspension better suited to the car, or at least to my driving style. I also prefer the F-Sport look.

With regards to build quality, I did not have any issue with the previous NX (F Sport with pan roof), although I noticed that the lacquer on the alloys was starting to flake off. The NX is supposed to be one of the most reliable cars money can buy. I can't comment on the latest one as I have only had it 3 or so weeks, but I don't expect it to be any different from a reliability point of view.

• Like 3

Thanks for your input Colin and Dan.

I noticed on most YouTube reviews they complain about the media mouse pad. Is that just because they haven’t got used to it or a real nightmare? 

51 minutes ago, L3xDan said:

I noticed on most YouTube reviews they complain about the media mouse pad. Is that just because they haven’t got used to it or a real nightmare? 

^^ I’d say the menu set up on the screen is more of an ‘issue’ than the trackpad, but you’ll get used to both very quickly. 

Build quality on my almost three year old NX is excellent, pretty much as new after 18k miles. No issues at all apart from a depleted 12v Battery needing replacement caused by lack of use during the various lockdowns.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, L3xDan said:

I think you get use to it - it isn't as easy as a touch screen but the display is put up high and towards the windscreen out of reach so you don't have to take your eyes off the road to glance at it. For most things bar the Sat Nav you have physical buttons to press so you don't have to use the pad that much if you don't want to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, L3xDan said:

This is something that reviewers like to complain the most about. It is true that it is not the most intuitive, however you soon get used to it.
As per Ed's comment, menus can be counter intuitive too, especially for things that you don't do very often. A prime example is changing the satnav clock twice a year.

• Like 2

Hmmmmm....

Had a premium sport while my RX was in the garage for the afternoon and absolutely loved it!

We were nailed on for the F sport/ Takumi pack, until my wife had a sit in one and shes not sure she will get on with the F Sport seats (she had nerve problems with her back) so now we will probably wait to test drive an F sport on 12th April. Love the look of the F Sport but might have to compromise.

Nothing ever goes smoothly for us!!! 

Anyone have comfort problems with the F Sport seats or have we been spoilt in our RX and the courtesy car drive?

Thanks for all your input BTW 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, L3xDan said:

Hmmmmm....

Had a premium sport while my RX was in the garage for the afternoon and absolutely loved it!

We were nailed on for the F sport/ Takumi pack, until my wife had a sit in one and shes not sure she will get on with the F Sport seats (she had nerve problems with her back) so now we will probably wait to test drive an F sport on 12th April. Love the look of the F Sport but might have to compromise.

Anyone have comfort problems with the F Sport seats or have we been spoilt in our RX and the courtesy car drive?

Got the Premium sport a month ago and the seats are fab. Compared to Tiguan I had the seats are slightly less sporty at the bottom, but pretty tight at the top, so i would say the "normal seats" are just fine, and give great comfort. Also the car is under 40k so cheaper tax (£140 i think a year), even if you spec metallic paint and the great value pano roof (£500). I think all you miss is the headlights (normal one are great on dipped, not too powerful on main beam), the sound amplifier, the sport+ setting, a few sportier bit on the outside, and you aforementioned seats. So, for the price difference and saving £325? tax a year the Premium Sport Edition is a wise purchase.

I agree the Premium Sport Edition is the best value model in the NX range, new or used. I think this is down to the added value in the extras you listed that make it more attractive and because it just falls into the under £40,000 DVLA luxury goods car tax bracket.

From April 1st the tax is £145 per year for the Premium Sport.

Phil 

• Like 1

On 4/13/2021 at 4:59 AM, Phil Catterall said:

I agree the Premium Sport Edition is the best value model in the NX range, new or used. I think this is down to the added value in the extras you listed that make it more attractive and because it just falls into the under £40,000 DVLA luxury goods car tax bracket.

From April 1st the tax is £145 per year for the Premium Sport.

Phil 

What is the easiest way to navigate car tax for post April 2017 Lexus NX cars?

i.e. the over £40,000 cars?  Do you have to find the new cost of each model variant and year?

It would be useful (probably not expedient) for Lexus dealers to show the car tax you need to pay.

3 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

What is the easiest way to navigate car tax for post April 2017 Lexus NX cars?

The Lexus salesmen I spoke to at three different dealerships knew all about the luxury car tax and how it can affect the annual running costs for the different models in the NX range. It should be incumbent on them to advise you of the rate, but you may have to ask the question...

However, I believe Parkers website is a reliable source of information. Its what I used in determining which model in the range to purchase:

https://www.parkers.co.uk/lexus/nx/4x4-2014/car-tax/

Good Luck and choose wisely....

Phil 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Basically, £325 (per year) or £178.75 (per half year) is levied on cars registered after April 1 2017 with a list price over £40,000. The additional rate is "only" applied for the first five years that road tax is renewed; renewals after that incur the standard rate for the car's fuel type.

So the car tax for a F Sport Takumi is consequently £480 per year, for the first 5 years.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And the car tax payable for a Premier Sport edition registered in March 2020 is now £145 per year WEF 01/04/2021 as it falls below the £40,000 threshold and the Co2 is measured the old way - coming out at 137 G/KM (Band H). For the same car registered after 01 April 2020 using the WLTP figures the Co2 measurement becomes 174 G/KM Band J). Therefore the first years tax is £860 falling back to £145 from the 2nd year tax renewal as the car cost list price is below £40,000 new.  BUYER BEWARE!

Phil 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Tahara (fake leather) smells good, look like leather, warm (compared to real leather) on a cold morning and is of excellent quality. I'd certainly choose these over real leather now. It the NX was an Audi or Range Rover, you'd probably be charged EXTRA for them 🙂

4 minutes ago, RichieinScotland said:

The Tahara (fake leather) smells good, look like leather, warm (compared to real leather) on a cold morning and is of excellent quality. I'd certainly choose these over real leather now. It the NX was an Audi or Range Rover, you'd probably be charged EXTRA for them 🙂

^^ My first NX had Tahara, my current has leather. I’d agree about the quality and comfort, but not the smell. In hot weather mine smelt quite ‘plasticky’ almost like cars from the 1970s with plastic seats! However, that only affected it on really hot days.

Have to be honest, I’ve never been a great fan of leather upholstery - I prefer good quality cloth - but having an NX with either Tahara or real leather is fine. Very little to choose between them.

• Like 1

I drove the NX Sport back to back with the Takumi and preferred the "luxury" set up to the "sport". The sport was definitely firmer and more planted around bends as well as feeling slightly "brisker' off the start. I went for the softer Takumi version, I find the seats very comfortable but the Ivory Leather needs a bit more care regarding dirt, though still looks good as new after 18 months and 9k miles.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2021 at 6:06 PM, L3xDan said:

Hmmmmm....

I find the F-Sport seats uncomfortable. As a result of playing rugby for 16 years I suffer from a bad back from time to time. Just wear and tear. A combination of the F-Sport seats and F-Sport suspension is bad for my back. Hard to know if it would be the same for others but I thought it was worth Letting you know what I feel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I find the F-Sport seats uncomfortable. As a result of playing rugby for 16 years I suffer from a bad back from time to time. Just wear and tear. A combination of the F-Sport seats and F-Sport suspension is bad for my back. Hard to know if it would be the same for others but I thought it was worth Letting you know what I feel.

^^ Same here, the F-Sport seats in the NX and RX are too firm for me. I have a disability affecting hips, lower back and legs though, so I am quite sensitive to such things. The standard seats are brilliant though, no issues at all - and I’m quite a demanding customer!

• Like 2

Interesting... I too suffer from back problems, but I find the F Sport seats more comfortable than the ones in other NX models. I use to cover 22k - 25k per year prior COVID and found the seats perfect for me.

On 4/22/2021 at 8:11 AM, First_Lexus said:

^^ My first NX had Tahara, my current has leather. I’d agree about the quality and comfort, but not the smell. In hot weather mine smelt quite ‘plasticky’ almost like cars from the 1970s with plastic seats! However, that only affected it on really hot days.

Have to be honest, I’ve never been a great fan of leather upholstery - I prefer good quality cloth - but having an NX with either Tahara or real leather is fine. Very little to choose between them.

Not had the hot weather yet as a) only had a car a couple of months and it's only spring and b) i live in northern Scotland so we don't get hot weather lol

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, DanD said:

Interesting... I too suffer from back problems, but I find the F Sport seats more comfortable than the ones in other NX models. I use to cover 22k - 25k per year prior COVID and found the seats perfect for me.

^^ It just goes to show how important a thorough test drive is, so that people can make up their own mind and buy what suits their circumstances. There must be hundreds of different back / hip / physical problems, and I’ll wager very few are exactly the same in terms of their impact on driving comfort.

Similar but slightly different - if we all bought based on motoring magazine reviews, none of us would be driving an NX. Instead, we’d all be driving German SUVs...but we made up our own minds. Personally I’m very glad that I did!