Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New LC 500 paint defect

pepapol

Hi everyone

I would be very grateful if you could give me some advice how to proceed with an issue.

Just yesterday I took delivery of my new LC 500. Following that I took the car immediately to my local detailer for a ceramic coat paint protection. Unfortunately after careful inspection has has discovered faults in the paint on the bonnet, driver and passenger door in the form of dark spots and thick lines. These cannot be felt in the texture of the paint and he said that this is an issue with the base of the paint. In addition the car had quite a few hairline scratches on it, presumably from washing the car at the dealer.

I am obviously gutted over this as it is my dream car that I have been working towards over a few years and I don't think it is acceptable. I am a bit unsure how to proceed. The detailer who from previous experience is excellent suggests rejecting the car as it would be impossible to repaint so that the paint difference wouldn't be noticed and would also significantly devalue the car.

At the moment I am waiting for the dealership to pick the car up tomorrow from him and do their own inspection while he will submit a written report to them.

I am a bit anxious over going through a potential dispute with the dealership and obviously do not want to hurt their business. However I cannot think of any other scenario than returning the car as there is no way to rectify this into perfect condition in which I expect a £90k car to be.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on how to proceed.

I have attached a few example pictures on the defects as it's a bit difficult to catch with a phone but they are very clearly visible even from one meter distance. You can see the line on the first one and a dark spot on the second reasonably clearly I hope.

Thank you so much for your help.

Petr

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 7.41.15 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2021-03-18 at 7.41.36 PM.jpeg

• Sad 1

Yes it should be rejected and the dealer shouldn't be hurt by this - Lexus GB need to take ownership and keep both you and the dealer happy as neither are at fault - it is a manufacturing defect and really should have been detected in QA before leaving the factory.

• Like 5

I have just been speaking to my Edinburgh Lexus dealer, who are supplying my Convertible, and I read him the posts on the Forum...

And yes, it should go back to the dealer...

It should never have left Japan...!!!

Hopefully Lexus replace it quickly for you, its a great car...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, pepapol said:

It’s Lexus Belfast - unfortunately the only one in NI. Thanks a lot for the help! The car is otherwise stunning.

I googled Angus and thought it was above Edinburgh...!

I bought a Bentayga from Charles Hurst in Belfast, and they were great to deal with.

I am surprised that Charles Hurst Lexus didn't notice the marks when it arrived with them...

I don't think you will have any issues with Charles Hurst replacing your car...

Is it possible the car has received some paintwork rectification since arriving in the UK.Maybe damaged in transit. Not uncommon for light scratches to be  polished and then the panel has a new clearcoat over the original,but maybe damaged,colour coat.

Just a thought.

A J.

Thanks again for the tips! The dealer has acknowledged the issue and will be submitting a report of it to Lexus UK. So hoping that this means things are on the right track.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, pepapol said:

Thanks again for the tips! The dealer has acknowledged the issue and will be submitting a report of it to Lexus UK. So hoping that this means things are on the right track.

Peter, I assume your name isn't Petr... My thoughts, are probably the same as other Lexus owners... Lexus will sort your paint problem out for you... If you had bought a BMW, or even a Mercedes. I would question if you would have difficulties getting it sorted. But because it's a Lexus, it will be sorted to your satisfaction.

My experience of dealing with Charles Hurst was very good. I never came over from Cornwall. They provided several videos of the Bentayga, before I bought it, and it was delivered... Photo attached taken at their dealership...

You have bought a great car... the LC 500 is a quality car...

PS I have been to Coleraine a couple of times, on business. I found the people of Northern Ireland very nice...

IMG_2941.jpg

22 minutes ago, Kevin Williams said:

Peter, I assume your name isn't Petr... My thoughts, are probably the same as other Lexus owners... Lexus will sort your paint problem out for you... If you had bought a BMW, or even a Mercedes. I would question if you would have difficulties getting it sorted. But because it's a Lexus, it will be sorted to your satisfaction.

My experience of dealing with Charles Hurst was very good. I never came over from Cornwall. They provided several videos of the Bentayga, before I bought it, and it was delivered... Photo attached taken at their dealership...

You have bought a great car... the LC 500 is a quality car...

PS I have been to Coleraine a couple of times, on business. I found the people of Northern Ireland very nice...

IMG_2941.jpg

My name actually is Petr, I am from the Czech Republic;-). In NI for nearly for 5 years and settled down well. I used to live in Scotland in the past and it was nice as well. Haven't spent much time in England or Wales unfortunately.

Yes the LC is class, absolutely love everything about it. Hopefully this will get sorted and it won't be another 6 months to get a new one...

Interestingly enough my detailer said that he had customers with similar issues on BMW and VW and in both instances the dealerships were spot on and very pleasant.

Btw your cars look incredible!

11 hours ago, pepapol said:

My name actually is Petr, I am from the Czech Republic;-). In NI for nearly for 5 years and settled down well. I used to live in Scotland in the past and it was nice as well. Haven't spent much time in England or Wales unfortunately.

Yes the LC is class, absolutely love everything about it. Hopefully this will get sorted and it won't be another 6 months to get a new one...

Interestingly enough my detailer said that he had customers with similar issues on BMW and VW and in both instances the dealerships were spot on and very pleasant.

Very sorry for getting your name wrong Petr, you learn something everyday...!

I very much hope, along with other Forum members, that your lovely LC 500 is sorted for you, Fit for Purpose, as soon as possible.

Please keep the Forum aware of how you are being dealt with by Lexus.

A couple of my petrolhead friends had their cars picked up, by the dealers that supplied them, because they said they weren't, 'Fit for Purpose'...

Neither of the cars were Lexus models, they were both Range Rover Sport SVR's...! 

13 hours ago, pepapol said:

Petr, if I am not mistaken... I think the Forum owe you a BIG apology... I have been looking back at your 10 posts...

Your post of June 3rd 2020, ref... 2013 GS 250 Air Con issue, didn't get a single reply...! Am I correct...?

I bet you thought, when you posted about your LC 500's paintwork... I wonder if I get a reply...?

Btw, of all the cars I have owned. I still think the best for several reasons, mainly the ride and the comfort, was my LS 400...!

I will be sending you a Private Message about my trips to Northern Ireland...

400 Rear 2.JPG

430 Front 2.JPG

LS 400.jpeg

On 3/20/2021 at 10:04 AM, Kevin Williams said:

Petr, if I am not mistaken... I think the Forum owe you a BIG apology... I have been looking back at your 10 posts...

Your post of June 3rd 2020, ref... 2013 GS 250 Air Con issue, didn't get a single reply...! Am I correct...?

I bet you thought, when you posted about your LC 500's paintwork... I wonder if I get a reply...?

Btw, of all the cars I have owned. I still think the best for several reasons, mainly the ride and the comfort, was my LS 400...!

I will be sending you a Private Message about my trips to Northern Ireland...

400 Rear 2.JPG

430 Front 2.JPG

LS 400.jpeg

Both the LS and SC look lovely! I actually always wanted an LS in the past. Very nearly bought a used LS460 in 2016 but ended up buying the GS in the end which I always regretted a little bit. I really like the design of the new LS as well but lack of a V8 option disqualifies it for me.

You're right about the air con issue - we never ended up fixing it as shortly afterwards we decided to replace it with the LC. So no harm done;-).

With regards to the LC, since the dealer collected in on Friday they have been very pleasant and accommodating. Apparently they're bringing in somebody from Lexus UK to inspect it on Monday. In fact they said that they never had an issue like this so it's unknown territory for them. I presume that emotions were probably a bit high on their side as well and our detailer was quite stern in trying to help us due to previous experiences with others. So that's why it was a bit heated at the start as the dealer wouldn't believe that a car with such an issue could have shipped here from Japan. Everything seems to be going smoothly now and I am happy with our interactions since the car was taken back to the dealership. Just wanted to say that as my previous posts might have put them in a slightly negative light and it's definitely not my intention to tarnish their reputation.

1 hour ago, pepapol said:

Both the LS and SC look lovely! I actually always wanted an LS in the past. Very nearly bought a used LS460 in 2016 but ended up buying the GS in the end which I always regretted a little bit. I really like the design of the new LS as well but lack of a V8 option disqualifies it for me.

You're right about the air con issue - we never ended up fixing it as shortly afterwards we decided to replace it with the LC. So no harm done;-).

With regards to the LC, since the dealer collected in on Friday they have been very pleasant and accommodating. Apparently they're bringing in somebody from Lexus UK to inspect it on Monday. In fact they said that they never had an issue like this so it's unknown territory for them. I presume that emotions were probably a bit high on their side as well and our detailer was quite stern in trying to help us due to previous experiences with others. So that's why it was a bit heated at the start as the dealer wouldn't believe that a car with such an issue could have shipped here from Japan. Everything seems to be going smoothly now and I am happy with our interactions since the car was taken back to the dealership. Just wanted to say that as my previous posts might have put them in a slightly negative light and it's definitely not my intention to tarnish their reputation.

In your first post, you mentioned that you moved to the UK after University for your first job… I have just read your private message reply, thank you. I can see that you will be well able to sort the paintwork problem, to your satisfaction…! You will be able to google what your legal rights, are a lot quicker than most Forum members…!

Please keep the Forum up to date with your dealings with Charles Hurst and Lexus UK. Hopefully it doesn’t take too long for the paintwork to be repaired…

I think that you have been very unlucky to receive a brand new car from Lexus, that’s quality control issues, in Japan, were not carried out as they should have been… 

I think Lexus UK, will sort THEIR PROBLEM, as quickly as they can…

And you get to enjoy the LC 500. What version did you buy…?

I will reply to your private message later, but not being able to attach anything using private messaging… If you look at Who’s got or ordered a Convertible, and apple Car Play, in the LC500 Coupe Club section, there are a couple of attachments, relating to my problems in flying my own helicopter…

I hope, and think, Monday will be a good day, regarding news about your Lovely LC 500…

On 3/21/2021 at 12:45 PM, pepapol said:

The Forum members and I, hope yesterday was a good day, and your LC 500 is being repaired quickly...?

Sorry for no update but actually there is nothing new to report yet. Apparently they will be teleconferencing about it with Lexus UK tomorrow and update me then. Got an barely used RX as a courtesy car though so at least I'm cruising around in comfort.

As for the LC I ordered... It's a sonic red with ochre interior. I picked the non-sport version as I wanted it to be a bit more luxury rather than sporty. I opted for the semi-aniline leather seats, heads up display, upgraded audio and 21inch wheels.

14 hours ago, Kevin Williams said:

I hope you had some good news Petr...? How long are Lexus advising you, that you will be without your LC 500...?

My Convertible is now in my garage, and the Ochre interior is very nice...!

CON_3.jpg

CON_5.jpg

Your Convertible is stunning! I hope you will enjoy a lot of happy miles with it!

I was on the phone with the dealer on Friday and he said that Lexus UK have asked for some additional documents to confirm that the problem did not happen at the dealership. Apparently I will get more updates during next week. Fingers crossed for some good news.

On 3/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, pepapol said:

Your Convertible is stunning! I hope you will enjoy a lot of happy miles with it!

I was on the phone with the dealer on Friday and he said that Lexus UK have asked for some additional documents to confirm that the problem did not happen at the dealership. Apparently I will get more updates during next week. Fingers crossed for some good news.

My Convertible is indeed very stunning. Its ride is superb. You shouldn't need to cross your fingers for some good news.

Being a Lexus, the news and updates this week, should be very good...!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone

Sorry for a bit of prolonged wait. The issue was being dragged out for a while and I only got it resolved last week. The dealership has finally accepted the car back and I have just received my refund. I will be ordering another LC 500 so keeping my fingers crossed for a flawless example.

I should add that aside from the dealership I was also in contact with Lexus UK and their engagement with me was very blase and unhelpful. Quite disappointing from such a brand. Lucky for them the LC is my dream car so I will get another one but had it been another car, I would have not gone back to the brand.

I would like to thank everyone for your help. In particular Kevin Williams and John (royoftherovers) who have been absolutely invaluable with their input and support. Thanks to them I have my refund now and I can put this very unpleasant experience behind me.

Thanks again!

Petr

• Like 5

To hear that Lexus have been 'blase and unhelpful' is a bit of a surprise! I hope they aren't getting complacent & sitting on their laurels, this brand above virtually all others should be on the ball & super- concerned about this sort of thing. Anyway at least you've been refunded, hopefully your replacement car will be spot-on.

• Like 3

Sorry to hear you had to reject the car.Was it established as a factory fault or has the dealer had to buy it back due to an issue after they received it.

2 hours ago, AJ500 said:

Sorry to hear you had to reject the car.Was it established as a factory fault or has the dealer had to buy it back due to an issue after they received it.

I was absolutely gutted - so excited to take delivery of it for 6 months as there was a 3 month delay to my order.

The dealer did not detect the fault at pre-delivery inspection however subsequently stated that this should not have passed quality control. Unfortunately following this initial statement things did not go as smoothly as I hoped for. I have not seen any documentation of the inspection but if they didn't see it, they must have been blind, it was as clear as day. Ultimately the rejection was accepted and we were refunded in full. I am actually not sure what the internal reasoning was.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 1:46 PM, pepapol said:

Hi everyone

Sorry for a bit of prolonged wait. The issue was being dragged out for a while and I only got it resolved last week. The dealership has finally accepted the car back and I have just received my refund. I will be ordering another LC 500 so keeping my fingers crossed for a flawless example.

I should add that aside from the dealership I was also in contact with Lexus UK and their engagement with me was very blase and unhelpful. Quite disappointing from such a brand. Lucky for them the LC is my dream car so I will get another one but had it been another car, I would have not gone back to the brand.

I would like to thank everyone for your help. In particular Kevin Williams and John (royoftherovers) who have been absolutely invaluable with their input and support. Thanks to them I have my refund now and I can put this very unpleasant experience behind me.

Thanks again!

Petr

It's been more than two weeks since your last post Petr. Have you ordered another LC 500 ? And if so, when are you expecting it to arrive ?

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links