Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Infotainment upgrade

Hi, I’m sure some of you have looked into the infotainment upgrade for pre2019 RC models and just wanted to get you opinion on the one below that offer CarPlay and android access. Is it worth the investment? The installation looks relatively easy:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=233928380208&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

Would be interested it seeing alternatives and if this is worth the money? 

thanks

I think you can do better than that and replace entire tiny 7" screen with something what looks like FL sreen + it is android and has carpay and android auto.

Below is the previous thread. The only thing I would change - I would make sure OS is at least android 10, android 7.1 is very old now.

43 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

I would make sure OS is at least android 10, android 7.1 is very old now.

Have Android 11 and not much different to 10. Have an old Galaxy Note with 6 and the biggest differences between the older and the newer is that, the newer they get, the more spam is on them. That has to be removed (which not is easy for everybody that want it).

This is the only socalled social platform I am on, and solely because we have a Lexus. No Facebook, Instagram or Twitter or what else there is to risk getting virus from.

9 hours ago, JohnRC300H said:

Hi, I’m sure some of you have looked into the infotainment upgrade for pre2019 RC models and just wanted to get you opinion on the one below that offer CarPlay and android access. Is it worth the investment? The installation looks relatively easy:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575378759&campid=5338273189&customid=&icep_item=233928380208&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229508&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg&toolid=11111

Would be interested it seeing alternatives and if this is worth the money? 

thanks

Does Lexus not have something you could have installed OEM? All the parts that needs to be installed will make the electronics in the car having problems I think.

Not that I know what infotainment is, but suppose it has something to do with listening to music and watching something on a screen.

10 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Have Android 11 and not much different to 10. Have an old Galaxy Note with 6 and the biggest differences between the older and the newer is that, the newer they get, the more spam is on them.

It depends on what device you get, but newer OS is generally more secure and less venerable + it will have more built in features by default. 7.1 is just obsolete version which is no longer supported, although this being made in China I about that aby of them are officially supported anyway.

6 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Does Lexus not have something you could have installed OEM? All the parts that needs to be installed will make the electronics in the car having problems I think.

Not that I know what infotainment is, but suppose it has something to do with listening to music and watching something on a screen.

Short answer - no they don't.

Longer answer is that even if Lexus would sell it, the cost would be something stupid like £4000. And that is assuming it is even possible to retrofit infotainment from FL RC. Obviously, this quickly becomes non-issue because Lexus won't even sell it to you and it is not like market is full of used infotainment systems from 2019 cars which are by themselves extremely rare (Lexus RC).

On top of that - Lexus infotainment is trash, it is slow, navigation is terrible (even in 2020 model) and there will are no apple CarPlay, nor Android auto (even in FL RC). Some Lexus models are not getting that, but not RC.

Getting this android unit you know that you can use all apps from Google Play store and you can use built-in Google Maps for navigation + it looks OEM. As far as control of all the other functions - the thread I have linked cover is. Basically you need to get right model for your car and all functions will work same as standard unit. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links