Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any thoughts on this car ...

I'm posting about this for a friend who is considering purchasing an IS250. He has found this one locally:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202103220458615?model=IS 250&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&postcode=cw114qh&radius=1500&sort=distance&include-delivery-option=on&make=LEXUS&advertising-location=at_cars&page=1

It looks like a clean example to me. Any thoughts?

Seller says he is open to offers and I always find it hard to value low mileage examples. He says he is open to offers. What do you think it is worth?

Thanks all. 

Looks like a nice car, but very expensive for a 2006. Confused.com valuation says £3470 forecourt, £2770 private, £1670 p.ex. Seller's description says he's not open to offers (see bottom of the extended description) - that may change! I'd make an offer of £3000 subject to inspection.

Oh - probably irrelevant but it's not ULEZ compliant despite the tick on Autotrader

Looks to me to be a good, clean and well looked after low mileage example. Not too many about like that with Mark Levinson, SatNav and sunroof.  Only thought would be to check both rear tyres as they were marked down as advisories less than 1k miles ago.

Reading his ad the seller would never sell as low as £3k but if you can get it for that it would be an absolute steal.

I disagree with John's research re pricing, I think it's worth well over £4k in fact I'd probably pay £4500 for that and maybe slightly more if it's got 2x new rear tyres. 

And PS ... it IS ULEZ compliant!

• Like 4

If you go to the TfL website and put the reg in, it says it is liable to a fee of £15 - £17.50 a day. On the other hand, ulezchecker.com says it is compliant.

The seller seems very adamant about the asking price. But for a full service car with that kind of mileage then if the car has had 2 new rear tyres as someone has mentioned then give them 5.5k. If the car needs tyres then tell them that and knock 200 quid off. 

I paid 5.75k for my 2007 78k miler one owner from new full dealer service history. That was last July.

• Like 1

I think some of you are selling this short. I'd happily pay £5k for that. Sub-£4k is way off.

One thing to note is that after this year it's Super Unleaded only.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, johnatg said:

If you go to the TfL website and put the reg in, it says it is liable to a fee of £15 - £17.50 a day. On the other hand, ulezchecker.com says it is compliant.

The fee you quote is for the Congestion Charge only ... ULEZ is £12.50 and in addition to the Congestion Charge. 🙂

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

Haha! ... good spot Mark! Off you go then JPJ ... get in touch with Noo bie and start the ball rolling. 😉

Well, it's not for me. Asking for a friend. We are off to try a few Porsche Cayenne when the showrooms open on the 12th April in light of my LS600 sale recently. Oh, and a RX450h. Nice choice to make between the two. 

43 minutes ago, Sundance said:

The fee you quote is for the Congestion Charge only ... ULEZ is £12.50 and in addition to the Congestion Charge. 🙂

Ah.. OK.. you'd think London streets would be completely empty. 

1 hour ago, cruisermark said:

You're not suggesting this is the same car?? 

RAJ19J was issued a V5c on 18 Jan 21, it's silver and first reg Oct 2005.

DY56NTN (this car) issued V5c on 24 Dec 18. it's blue and first reg Sep 2006

46 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

Well, it's not for me. Asking for a friend. We are off to try a few Porsche Cayenne when the showrooms open on the 12th April in light of my LS600 sale recently. Oh, and a RX450h. Nice choice to make between the two. 

I would choose RX forever, because it is Lexus and especially hybrid.

1 hour ago, johnatg said:

You're not suggesting this is the same car?? 

RAJ19J was issued a V5c on 18 Jan 21, it's silver and first reg Oct 2005.

DY56NTN (this car) issued V5c on 24 Dec 18. it's blue and first reg Sep 2006

Scroll down halfway and its the one Newbie posted!

I cannot say what the car is worth, because that usually depends on supply and demand, in short how desperate is seller to sell and how desperate is the buyer to buy and what choice exist on the market.

In either case guide valuation is irrelevant here. It does not matter what the valuation of the car says and if it says it is only worth £3700 private sale and £1600 PX. Reality is that you not going to find 55k miles 2006 SE-L for under £4000 and depending on the condition may not even find one under £5000. Valuation usually ignores trim, accessories and condition so they just list average value for that model and year. 

This is same like insurance - they will always offer you valuation price, despite you not being able to replace the car for such value. If I would put the car for £5500 and somebody would come saying that Glass or other guide puts the value PX at £1600... I would "politely" offer them to go and buy the car for £1600.

As well I highly doubt that valuation only values this car at £3700. My old SE-L was written off and Insurance valued the car at £3850 for being in "excellent condition", poor condition was something like £3200.... and it was 193k miles. 

When it comes to actual year - there is no practical difference between 2005 and 2009. If you actually interested in newer car, then I would advise looking FL cars after 2010+. But before 2010 really the only valuable comparison is mileage and condition.

• Like 1

Thanks guys !

The car in question is mine and have put it up for sale yesterday - value was based on advice here and also auto-trader and a valuation through webuyanycar. ALL of the cars advertised as IS250's for the year 2006 are either accident damaged or with high miles (not that high miles matter that much) or with lower spec. The highest price on autotrader is £4200 for an accident damaged one with 56k on the clock. No where near with the extras mine has. The next closest one is a 2006 with 72k miles on it, again with none of the extras mine has. webuyanycar values mine at £4750 not accounting for any of the extras. My price is fair at £5500 - taking into account the two new tyres needed which i have already mentioned in the advert, i am getting these done before sale. My reason for no offers is that i am a bit reluctant to sell it, its in excellent condition and my wife wont drive it, if she does i fear it will get banged around a bit (no disrespect) so i want it to go to someone who will look after it as i obviously have - its worth what people want to pay for it? Its definitely worth what i am asking for it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, is200 Newbie said:

Thanks guys !

The car in question is mine and have put it up for sale yesterday - value was based on advice here and also auto-trader and a valuation through webuyanycar. ALL of the cars advertised as IS250's for the year 2006 are either accident damaged or with high miles (not that high miles matter that much) or with lower spec. The highest price on autotrader is £4200 for an accident damaged one with 56k on the clock. No where near with the extras mine has. The next closest one is a 2006 with 72k miles on it, again with none of the extras mine has. webuyanycar values mine at £4750 not accounting for any of the extras. My price is fair at £5500 - taking into account the two new tyres needed which i have already mentioned in the advert, i am getting these done before sale. My reason for no offers is that i am a bit reluctant to sell it, its in excellent condition and my wife wont drive it, if she does i fear it will get banged around a bit (no disrespect) so i want it to go to someone who will look after it as i obviously have - its worth what people want to pay for it? Its definitely worth what i am asking for it.

That explanation works for me. 👍

If I hadn't recently bought an even-lower-mileage '06 then I would certainly have shown an interest.

Rather than taking the ding-risk option I really hope that you achieve your asking price ... if for no other reason than it helps me properly value mine! 😉

Worth the money all day long if you ask me, you ain’t gonna spend much on maintenance in the future that’s for sure! (unlike a Merc or Porsche!)

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sundance said:

That explanation works for me. 👍

If I hadn't recently bought an even-lower-mileage '06 then I would certainly have shown an interest.

Rather than taking the ding-risk option I really hope that you achieve your asking price ... if for no other reason than it helps me properly value mine! 😉

I don’t think a lot of people read the advert properly – have been in touch with JPJ’s friend and passed over all the info to him with further pictures, have not pressured him to buy as this is really a reluctant sale for me.. New Battery, 2 new tyres, all callipers cleaned, oil and filters changed. 3 small stone chips and a small scratch is all that 15 years has managed to throw at it. Two advisories on the MOT during this time, one for a delaminating rear number plate, replaced and for two rear tyres from last years MOT, should have noticed they needed doing first but didn’t this time around. I think that shows its looked after -  Anyway, I had a call earlier from a guy in Dorset who said he was an old LOC member here – bought a Ford and regretted it ever since and wants back into Lexus and looking for a 2008 / 09 early model 250 before the facelift but is interested in mine. Cant come to view until he can travel but has taken my contact detail to see if still for sale when he can. He has owned one and I guess he knows what he is looking at. Its hard to convince new owners of these that they are good cars if they have not owned or driven one before. Guess that keeps the prices up as people hold onto them and do look after them rather than thrash them around.

Going to look at a Peugeot next week with my wife so may just take it with me to see what PX value is placed on it, got to “detatch” myself from it regardless of how it will be treated after selling it.

1 hour ago, is200 Newbie said:

I don’t think a lot of people read the advert properly – have been in touch with JPJ’s friend and passed over all the info to him with further pictures, have not pressured him to buy as this is really a reluctant sale for me.. New battery, 2 new tyres, all callipers cleaned, oil and filters changed. 3 small stone chips and a small scratch is all that 15 years has managed to throw at it. Two advisories on the MOT during this time, one for a delaminating rear number plate, replaced and for two rear tyres from last years MOT, should have noticed they needed doing first but didn’t this time around. I think that shows its looked after -  Anyway, I had a call earlier from a guy in Dorset who said he was an old LOC member here – bought a Ford and regretted it ever since and wants back into Lexus and looking for a 2008 / 09 early model 250 before the facelift but is interested in mine. Cant come to view until he can travel but has taken my contact detail to see if still for sale when he can. He has owned one and I guess he knows what he is looking at. Its hard to convince new owners of these that they are good cars if they have not owned or driven one before. Guess that keeps the prices up as people hold onto them and do look after them rather than thrash them around.

Going to look at a Peugeot next week with my wife so may just take it with me to see what PX value is placed on it, got to “detatch” myself from it regardless of how it will be treated after selling it.

My estimate was too low. However, it is a private sale with no warranty so that needs to be taken into consideration. On the face of it it looks well worth considering.

2 hours ago, is200 Newbie said:

I don’t think a lot of people read the advert properly – have been in touch with JPJ’s friend and passed over all the info to him with further pictures, have not pressured him to buy as this is really a reluctant sale for me.. New battery, 2 new tyres, all callipers cleaned, oil and filters changed. 3 small stone chips and a small scratch is all that 15 years has managed to throw at it. Two advisories on the MOT during this time, one for a delaminating rear number plate, replaced and for two rear tyres from last years MOT, should have noticed they needed doing first but didn’t this time around. I think that shows its looked after -  Anyway, I had a call earlier from a guy in Dorset who said he was an old LOC member here – bought a Ford and regretted it ever since and wants back into Lexus and looking for a 2008 / 09 early model 250 before the facelift but is interested in mine. Cant come to view until he can travel but has taken my contact detail to see if still for sale when he can. He has owned one and I guess he knows what he is looking at. Its hard to convince new owners of these that they are good cars if they have not owned or driven one before. Guess that keeps the prices up as people hold onto them and do look after them rather than thrash them around.

Thanks for the fulsome replies. The car looks very tidy indeed. I've advised my friend to look for a good example from a forum such as this. Good luck with the sale. 

52 minutes ago, jpjsavage said:

Thanks for the fulsome replies. The car looks very tidy indeed. I've advised my friend to look for a good example from a forum such as this. Good luck with the sale. 

I think you'll find that you and he have been looking at it! 😉