Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Door not opening with fob or key

A Francis

My SC430 doors will not open, neither with the fob (black with 3 buttons: lock, unlock door, unlock boot. Fob light blinks red on pressing) and not with the key either.  When trying with the key it can turn both left and right, the alarm activates and interior light and hazard lights flash.

Nothing different was done after last driving the car.... anyone any idea why this is happening /solution?

Many thanks  

I don't think the chip that gets read by the immobiliser is powered by the button cell, that's just for the remote unlock isn't it? At least on my 2006-era key that's the case.

If the key can physically turn are you able to open the door despite the alarm sounding? If so try putting the key in the ignition and turning to position 2.

Could plausibly be a weak Battery.

Thank you Jason and thank you Mark.

Mark - the key turning fails to unlock the door, neither the fob or key unlocks the door.

Jason - the fob's red light flashes when pressed suggesting the Battery is fine but I will purchase a brand new one to see if that does the trick.

Appreciate you taking the time to help....

9 minutes ago, A Francis said:

Mark - the key turning fails to unlock the door, neither the fob or key unlocks the door.

Interesting, this would suggest the deadlocks are engaged and that the physical turning of the key is not enough to mechanically disengage them. Does the owners manual say anything about gaining access when the car Battery is flat? On many cars this is possible but on some I understand it isn't.

Where is the bonnet release on an SC430?  If it's near the floor you may be able to do this to get in: 

I suspect the problem you have is a weak Battery, failing that it could be a fault with the security system but weak Battery is probably more likely.

If you can get into the car without damaging anything you can test the security system by turning the key to position 2 in the ignition, if the security light goes out then your key is recognised. Then I suspect you'll need to charge the Battery somehow, best way would probably be to get a jumpstarter from Halfords or amazon and then drive it around for a bit to charge the Battery.

Jason may be right actually, the Battery in the remote doesn't need a lot of power to light the little LED but if its weak the radio signal from the transmitter may not be strong enough. Why you can't open the doors with the mechanical key remains a mystery though.

Thanks again Mark and thank you Colin

Easy bits first - no its not a smart key fob, the bonnet catch is in the underside of the dashboard to the right hand-side of the steering wheel, owners manual is in the glove-box (but I will check online for the manual to see if the bonnet can be opened without being inside the car).

Deadlocking the car /door is new to me but wonder if that is something I could have done inadvertently... I drove the vehicle last week but will certainly try more force in case the mechanisms have become stiff...

Will certainly purchase a new fob Battery also as another first step.

Just on the car Battery - previously when the Battery has run low (more than 18 months ago) the door still opens with the key and it not doing so on this occasion and this has baffled me also.

Many thanks - appreciate you taking the time to help....

13 minutes ago, A Francis said:

Deadlocking the car /door is new to me but wonder if that is something I could have done inadvertently... I drove the vehicle last week but will certainly try more force in case the mechanisms have become stiff...

Normally the deadlocks are activated if you press the lock button twice within a few seconds - it uses additional bolts to secure the door, and it stops someone breaking a window and unlocking the door from the inside. Depending on the vehicle you either need more force to move the deadlocks with the mechanical key or the mechanical key cannot unlock the door (not sure which of the two the SC430 falls into).

My reference to the mechanisms becoming stiff over time is just related to the mechanical key/lock rather than the normal central locking via the key fob. Keys aren't used very often and therefore people can struggle with them when they suddenly do need to use them. 

19 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Deadlocking happens normally when you lock with the remote key.

Only with a double press though. Only the early IS200s automatically double locked on single pressing the key fob, no other Lexus. It is deemed too dangerous as anyone in the vehicle cannot get out if they needed to.

17 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Only with a double press though. Only the early IS200s automatically double locked on single pressing the key fob, no other Lexus. It is deemed too dangerous as anyone in the vehicle cannot get out if they needed to.

Oh interesting. I'm pretty sure my 2006 RX deadlocks automatically.

6 minutes ago, m4rkw said:

Oh interesting. I'm pretty sure my 2006 RX deadlocks automatically.

It definitely needed a double press on my old RX400h. You can hear the additional locking when you press the key fob for the second time.

key definitely opens deadlocked door, at least did on my 2006. locked my keys in the boot after deadloking the doors. had to buy a key from lexus as had no spare, £50 just for a key with no transmitter. opened doors but triggered alarm if i remember correctly.

• Like 1

Thank you both.

Deadlocking is a possibility and will therefore try more force. 

I have a couple of things to try first: new fob Battery and more force with the key.  Will certainly let you know how it goes.

Many thanks and have a great day. 

SUCCESS!!!!!

It was the "deadlock" - I put a little wd40 on the key and used a little force after turning the key and bingo.... I actually heard the bolt/lock unlock.

Many thanks to all of you for your replies and the time you took to explain and educate me - thank you!!!

Have a great remainder of the day. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links