Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, has been ages since I last posted on the LOC and back then it was always in the LS forum as we only have LS's. Anyway this is my first post in the GS forum and is for a great reason- I'm considering treating myself to a 09 GS450h. What I wanted to ask was what do owners of these cars feel about the hybrid Battery reliability as it scares me slightly😟?

If the Battery ended up needing to be replaced how much does that cost in general and what is the best place/ way to go?

When I go and see it what things should I look out for and especially are there any clues as to the state of the Battery and how much life is left in it?

Am so excited about this potential GS😍

Thank you,

Alex 

Get a 2009 one and you are good until 2024 with the Battery. Get Lexus to check for £60 and if it passes check you are covered.

Main things to consider failing.

Shocks.

Exhaust.

TPMS will probably be iffy and alloys may need a good refurb.

Car is a joy though.

7 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Get a 2009 one and you are good until 2024 with the battery. Get Lexus to check for £60 and if it passes check you are covered.

Main things to consider failing.

Shocks.

Exhaust.

TPMS will probably be iffy and alloys may need a good refurb.

Car is a joy though.

Wow that sounds fantastic and thanks for replying. May I ask does that also mean that the car has to be serviced regularly at Lexus as well as the Battery check? Yes, I imagine it sure will be a joy!😁 Have you had yours long?

5 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

May I ask does that also mean that the car has to be serviced regularly at Lexus as well as the battery check? Yes, I imagine it sure will be a joy!

If you get your vehicle serviced at Lexus then the heath check is included in the service price.

If you don't want Lexus to service your vehicle then you can just pay the £60 hybrid health check every 12 months/10k miles (whichever is first).

Just now, ColinBarber said:

If you get your vehicle serviced at Lexus then the heath check is included in the service price.

If you don't want Lexus to service your vehicle then you can just pay the £60 hybrid health check every 12 months/10k miles (whichever is first).

Brilliant thanks for clarifying. I'm being persuaded🤩

7 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Brilliant thanks for clarifying. I'm being persuaded🤩

Had mine for 8 years without any problems, not even a bulb.

Acceleration is rapid and linear, ride is silent and really smooth.

1 hour ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi everyone, has been ages since I last posted on the LOC and back then it was always in the LS forum as we only have LS's. Anyway this is my first post in the GS forum and is for a great reason- I'm considering treating myself to a 09 GS450h. 

Thank you,

Alex 

Welcome to the club of those interested in a GS. I am also looking for a MY 08-11 but I think you will soon find one being in UK. In Ireland they are so rare.

23 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Had mine for a year now.

Battery has been absolutely fine so far. Check the exhaust back boxes for corrosion or they drop off.

Steve may I ask what was the mileage in yours when you bought it? Thanks

1 hour ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Hi everyone, has been ages since I last posted on the LOC and back then it was always in the LS forum as we only have LS's. Anyway this is my first post in the GS forum and is for a great reason- I'm considering treating myself to a 09 GS450h. What I wanted to ask was what do owners of these cars feel about the hybrid battery reliability as it scares me slightly😟?

If the battery ended up needing to be replaced how much does that cost in general and what is the best place/ way to go?

When I go and see it what things should I look out for and especially are there any clues as to the state of the battery and how much life is left in it?

Thank you,

Alex 

A 3rd part replacement Battery costs between £1.8k and £2.2k, including fitting e.t.c.
https://www.hybridbatterysolutions.co.uk/
Are brilliant for that. 

The 2.2k is a good chunk better than the standard lexus one, how reliable it is I don't know, ask me in a few years 😉
Been good for the last 18 months is all I can really say.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Had mine for 8 years without any problems, not even a bulb.

Acceleration is rapid and linear, ride is silent and really smooth.

That's reassuring to know John. Yes, the acceleration times look very nice!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, serbarry said:

Welcome to the club of those interested in a GS. I am also looking for a MY 08-11 but I think you will soon find one being in UK. In Ireland they are so rare.

Hope you find the perfect GS. To be honest, there aren't all that many for sale online even in UK. Strangely none of them come with sunroofs which is a shame as really want sunroof ha ha!

Just now, serbarry said:

Yeah I saw that one and is great though I'm really after a black one overall so I can polish it all the time and stare at it 🤩

Thanks for your suggestion though!

1 hour ago, Mossypossy said:

Mine had 94000 when I bought it. Also has a sunroof and is black on black.

You're so lucky. The one I'm looking at is also black on black sport model and low miles and right in budget but no sunroof and unfortunately none of the other black ones listed have a sunroof either🙁

9 hours ago, cruisermark said:

Thanks for this, that’s cleared up my sunroof conundrum. Quite a shame they stopped offering it as standard. 

Does anyone have experience with how the performance of the GS450h compares to the LS460. I'm also being tempted by a 2007 LS460. The dealer with the GS didn't sound keen on doing a very reasonable exchange with my current car whereas the dealer with the LS was far more willing to do a good deal. Overall I'm after a car with nice performance (which is why I am into a GS450h) but the LS is seeming more and more tempting. With the LS being a heavier car I'm imagining that although Autotrader says the LS does 0-60 in 5.7 secs and GS450h in 5.9 maybe the LS would be slightly slower overall? 

If anyone can tell me that would help in my choice hugely.

Thanks 

5 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

One does not buy either a GS450h or an LS 460 to race towards a chequered flag Alexander. 

Quite right John.

Sometimes though I'm partial to getting a move on at a more impressive rate than the other cars around me😁

won't be looking to race it like a track car ha ha

Which would be your bet John overall? 

I think if performance matters to you then you need the GS450H

Its a smaller car with less floaty feel than the LS and the 3.5 litre engine combined with the assist from the hybrid motors coupled with the CVT gearbox gives a linear acceleration experience like no other car in this sort of price bracket.

The LS range promotes a relaxed and sedate driving style

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

But will the LS give you 36mpg day in day out?

Steve mpg doesn't really bother me but what would you expect to achieve if you ran a GS450h on local runs day in day out? Would 3-5 mile runs be enough to charge the Battery sufficiently to make any real use back out if it?