Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ISF for £8750

Just highlighted this scam to the adults at eBay so hopefully it/they won’t be up there much longer, watch this space and see how long it/they take to get removed!

6E051324-7015-43D7-892E-5370BC801460.png

While I have no interest in buying another Lexus, or selling the one I have, I’m curious as to what makes this 2008 ISF such an obvious scam.

Is it the price, the description, the knowledge that its been advertised before, the history of the advertiser?  Or is it something about the conditions of sale?

I just wondered if someone had a moment to spell out what justifies public accusations of what would surely amount to criminal activity?  

It is a very desirable car ( like the others the scammer ‘has for sale’ ) and anyone in the market for one will think their luck is in and it (and  all others also ) are well under the going rate. Also the seller is wanting Cash only and one of the pictures ( supposed to show the item in question) is in fact showing contact details to complete the sale ( as if these were in the body of the advert then eBay virtual police will detect this attempt to do a deal outside of eBay with the contact details)

without doubt this seller has not actually got these items and has copied the pictures from previous legit postings, Also the description, of a single line! Is seriously lacking if you were trying to sell this or any of the other cars! and when any prospective seller is interested then some monies will undoubtedly be required upfront!

If you can be arsed, I have in the past, ask this seller some specific questions about this car and see what response you get! Answers will be very short and non specific!

All in all adds up to a deal to steer clear of!

• Like 1

Many thanks Paul.

You've highlighted the warning signs of a scam very clearly.

OK, so fundamentally it's the old 'if it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't!' scam flag. 

I can understand a seller wanting cash.  It's a feature of that TV show 'Wheeler Dealer' after all, to mention but one of the several car restoration shows.  But I agree that attempts to bypass the eBay security transaction system (such as it is) should itself be a very clear signal.

I've rarely bought cars privately or off an ad. (Or indeed anything off eBay.)

But I do recall one piece of advice for when answering a car ad. over the phone.  You only ask about 'the car you have for sale' which helps to sort out the street traders posing as private motorists!

• Like 1

Maybe the guy who offered me 12k for mine, nearly 4k less than WBAC and 30% lower than asking price, should buy this one instead 🙂

2 hours ago, LenT said:

Many thanks Paul.

You've highlighted the warning signs of a scam very clearly.

OK, so fundamentally it's the old 'if it seems too good to be true, then it probably isn't!' scam flag. 

I can understand a seller wanting cash.  It's a feature of that TV show 'Wheeler Dealer' after all, to mention but one of the several car restoration shows.  But I agree that attempts to bypass the EBay security transaction system (such as it is) should itself be a very clear signal.

I've rarely bought cars privately or off an ad. (Or indeed anything off EBay.)

But I do recall one piece of advice for when answering a car ad. over the phone.  You only ask about 'the car you have for sale' which helps to sort out the street traders posing as private motorists!

These are all scams.....there are about 15 eBay accounts in operation on a regular basis that have been hacked.  I have reported about 12 accounts that have similar set up to eBay.  Nothing happens.....Ebay really need to get some AI going so that they can spot these sort of scams and shut them down quickly but I ain't holding my breath.

• Like 2

Personally I think you can smell a bad rat a mile away lol😆.One picture,email address for further info,no proper description,price way too low for mileage and condition etc,to me it just stands out like a sore thumb,hence my putting it up and asking others for their thoughts 🤔

• Like 2