Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is300h tyres that will last?

Good morning!

I have 9500 miles done on the rear and I am at 3 mil now on Hankook Ventus. I don't drive the car hard. Is this par for the course or is there better alternatives out there for wear that are still capable in the wet?

Am i looking for too much? Is this the way with rwd?

What do you recommend?

I have retained the OEM Yokohama tyres on my car staying with these when changing tyres - my IS 300h is a 2014 reg and now covered £97k miles. I have found that the rears will just manage to last 20K miles (so down to the tread wear indicators at that mileage) and the fronts 40K miles. I don't have any complaints over the tyres performance and certainly not their longevity. I do quite a lot of motorway journeys though and so others may have different views on tyre choice depending on style of driving.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kermitpwee said:

Good morning!

I have 9500 miles done on the rear and I am at 3 mil now on Hankook Ventus. I don't drive the car hard. Is this par for the course or is there better alternatives out there for wear that are still capable in the wet?

Am i looking for too much? Is this the way with rwd?

What do you recommend?

If the tyres were brand new then I would suspect the Driver, notwithstanding the comment "I don`t drive the car hard".

• Like 1

I had Michelin Cross-Climate on the car when I bought it. The ones on the rear wore from 5mm to 3mm in 15,000 miles. The ones on the front from 6mm to 5mm on one side and to 4mm on the other. That's around 2mm all round for 15,000 miles, or maybe a bit better for the front.

So if new tyres start at 7mm and they're changed at 3mm, they should last around 30,000 miles if the rate of wear is consistent through the tyre's life. I thought this was pretty good and I replaced them with the next generation of Cross-Climate. These are 17" wheels, so maybe larger wheels will last longer. I can't yet tell if the new Cross-Climates are better or worse for the rate of wear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

If the tyres were brand new then I would suspect the Driver, notwithstanding the comment "I don`t drive the car hard".

Hankooks are not known for good wear, they are quite sticky and comfortable and this indicates they have soft compound which is obviously compromise on wear. I drive my cars super hard at all times, yet Dunlop Sportmaxx RT lasted me 37k miles, Michelin Pilotsport 4 were at 6mm after 20k miles. So there are certainly tyres which can do the mileage - rubber compound is formulated differently and they are just better for wear.

If you want absolutely best wear then my recommendation would be Michelin Primacy 4 or Goodyear Efficientgrip. However, they are not the best tyres overall. If you want great tyre which still last long I would recommend Goodyear Asymmetric 5/Dunlop RT2 and they are priced very well.

Original Yokohamas/Brigestones are quite terrible tyres - uncomfortable, loud and quite unpredictable below 8C or in wet. Certainly stay away from those, especially considering that better tyres could be had for less.

• Like 3

I had Goodyear efficient grip last time and they did 28K - probably could have got a few k more out of them, but it was coming into winter and costco had some decent offers so running on Goodyear vector 4 seasons now which at £273 fitted for a full set was a bargain

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kermitpwee said:

Perhaps our definition of driving hard is very different, but 9500 miles to about halve the tread depth sounds excessive to me.  Maybe there were other factors, such as under or over inflation or tracking errors.

I don’t know about Hankook Ventus, but that does seem a very high wear rate.  Still, if your criteria prioritise a low wear rate and very good wet performance, then you’ll not go wrong with Michelin CrossClimates+.  They feature very well in most comparative tests and they provide a comfortable and quiet ride.  We have them on a Suzuki 4x4 and handling is very assured in the wet and even light snow.

Michelin has a good reputation for high mileage, anyway.  I had two sets of Michelin Xs on a Toyota MR2 and got 40K out of both.

I would have had them on the Lexus, but Michelin only did one of the two sizes I needed.  Fortunately Goodyear had introduced the Asymmetric 5s in both sizes.  They too rate very well in comparative all-season tyre tests, while also providing comfortable, quiet and reassuring handling.  Maybe not the mileage delivery of the Michelins, but probably far too soon to tell.

But, as I’m sure has already been said, all tyre compounds are a compromise.  And as this and all the other threads on tyres demonstrate, opinions vary!!

One other thought: If you’re a member of Costco they’re currently offering £100 off a set of Michelins until 28 March, I think it is.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Update!!

I ended up getting 13000 miles out of the tyres. Perhaps there was another 1000 left but the sidewall was damaged.

I went with Kumho Ectsa Ps71 in 255/35/18 for the rear.

300 euro fitted. I needed something at short notice, let see how I get on!