Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS250 nav DVD not reading

The navigation DVD on my IS250 repeatedly fails to load. Sometimes it comes back after pressing the 'Eject' symbol, sometimes not. I surmise that it's old and tired...perhaps just the read heads are dirty? Otherwise the touchscreen controls all work fine, including the audio.

Has anyone else experienced this, and know how to sort it?

Unknown.jpeg

Edited by MartinH
Add pic

Is it an original disc or a copy from eBay? I had that same issue with what I thought was an original updated disc. My old original disc worked fine so did another genuine updated disc.

Must admit I pressed eject without taking the front off. It does sometimes reboot when this is done. Perhaps if I get the disc out and give it a polish, all will be restored to rights?

The DVD is the original distribution disc in this 2007-registered car. I don't use it for route-finding. It's out of date, and Gmaps is way better for navigation. Sometimes I even plan the route on a 'paper' map!

Edited by MartinH

A ‘17-‘’18 map disc can be got on eBay for less than £20 ( this was the last year of map updates made for this system)

Disconnecting the cars Battery for a few minutes can perform a reset and this may help resolve problem.

Thanks for the advice @Texas. Disconnecting the Battery does not have any effect on other of the vehicle's system settings?

I've seen other threads discussing swapping in a newer DVD but was always put off by the requirement to futz with the Battery. It seemed a radical way to reset a minor electronic subsystem.

4 hours ago, MartinH said:

Must admit I pressed eject without taking the front off. It does sometimes reboot when this is done. Perhaps if I get the disc out and give it a polish, all will be restored to rights?

The DVD is the original distribution disc in this 2007-registered car. I don't use it for route-finding. It's out of date, and Gmaps is way better for navigation. Sometimes I even plan the route on a 'paper' map!

There is nowhere for the disc to go when the front remains on. It is probably bent or damaged. Take the front off, 2 pins needed, then eject disc.

Disconnecting the Battery will allow all electronic components with volatile memory to be ‘reset’, you will have to ‘re-learn’ the electric window system ( and moonroof if fitted) but the Factory audio system does Not require any codes to work and the engine ecu will ‘re-learn’ your driving style over time.

I've bought updated disks from eBay before.

After inserting it the screen went to mush, all coloured pixels.
Disconnect the Battery and reconnecting and it came up okay
It seemed to work but I lost voice control, all of it.

The next one I bought seemed to work fine and did so for about a month.
After that it said "cannot read DVD", everything else died, including the radio.
An eject and reinsert sorted it but after it happened for a second time I took it out and frisbeed it into the garage and put the old 2008 original back in.

I use my mobile with Waze. I also have a widget to transfer sounds to the car system so I can use Tune-In with it at the same time for music.

15 hours ago, Texas said:

Disconnecting the battery will allow all electronic components with volatile memory to be ‘reset’, you will have to ‘re-learn’ the electric window system ( and moonroof if fitted) but the Factory audio system does Not require any codes to work and the engine ecu will ‘re-learn’ your driving style over time.

This seems extraordinary to me. Why would hardware device drivers for window and moonroof not be stored in NVRAM?

Good news that it has no impact on the ML audio though!

Edited by MartinH
Added 2nd para

The windows/roof have an obstruction prevent system that retracts upon meeting a resistance before the final fully closed position, it detects this obstruction by increased load ( amps ) on the motor but it has to know the final position before this can work otherwise the windows/roof won’t ever fully close and back off a bit when at the end position. When you do the relearn of the window/roof system it is this end position that you are embedding into the VM.

How come you got ACC on an IS2? Was it offered on the Lux model? And what do the other abbrevs mean? Sorry not fully up to speed with this!

Edited by MartinH

5 hours ago, MartinH said:

This seems extraordinary to me. Why would hardware device drivers for window and moonroof not be stored in NVRAM?

Good news that it has no impact on the ML audio though!

It is calibration settings that get wiped and need to be relearnt. Those system don't have the expense of NVRAMs and for 99.999% of a vehicle's life it has a 12v Battery connected to keep those memory parameters alive.

It's one of the features I liked best on the UX I borrowed, along with the heads-up display. I use the manual cruise a lot on my car. ACC made me realize I pressed in rather tighter than I should in give-and-take traffic.

I use my ACC as much as I can but usually end up getting someone pull in between me and the vehicle in front and cause me ( the ACC actually!) to brake! Even on the shortest setting some people think they can fit their car and their braking distance into MY braking distance- unbelievable!

I only Ever use it in ACC mode now as one time I was in manual mode and thought I was still in ACC!  Don’t Ask!!!!

VL-2 is the Grom unit to allow the latest infotainment to be had on OEM kit, ie Spotify, YouTube, IPlayer, Waze, infact almost any android App you could want!

And S(M)/R is the Sun ( or Moon as Lexus refer to it)/Roof.

bit of a rarity my car, I think there were only 47 with this kit registered in uk.

1st owner was a Barrister in London so no expense spared I guess!

5 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Adaptive Cruise Control was an option only for the SE-L grade

Am I LED to believe it was also available on the IS250C ?

8 hours ago, Texas said:

Am I led to believe it was also available on the IS250C ?

Yes same restriction, as an option only for the SE-L grade which I believe was part of an option pack including the ML stereo upgrade.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:20 AM, Texas said:

bit of a rarity my car, I think there were only 47 with this kit registered in uk.

I imagine mine is equally rare, as an SE with moonroof, ML sounds, and reverse cam. At the time of registration (2007), it enjoyed a lower vehicle tax rate than the SE-L (I think because it had a slightly lesser emissions number). That would no doubt be down to canny specifying by the original purchaser, the GM of Toyota GB, on behalf of his father-in-law.

Leastways that's what the salesman told me, and why should I doubt him?

Edited by MartinH

‘Lower Tax Band’ that’s a bonus, but I knew I was gonna buy my car when I went to view it because it had all the toys but the seller failed to mention it had ACC in the Ad!

• 1 month later...

However. The map DVD fail has not gone away, and now seems permanent. My take on this is that the problem is not fritzed electronics, rather, simply, a dirty read head on the DVD unit. (I feel it's unlikely that the DVD is worn or damaged.) 

Hifi lore says you need to get in there with a cotton bud soaked in isopropyl alcohol and clean the read head. Has anyone done this? The works are all deeply buried!

The car, with its new fuel system and electronics installed at wallet-busting cost by Lexus Edgware Road, is driving incredibly well, in fact better than at any stage in my ownership.

I never tried to do anything with maps as it's never gonna be as good as Google maps, but I have a similar issues when i try to play music from a CD.. List of tracks shows up on the display, but it won't play. Volume control digits disappear as well at that point, so something isn't right. Normal bluetooth/aux/FM audio works as it should though. Never bothered me much, but it is the one thing that never worked in my ownership.