Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi everyone, been a long long time since I last posted on here hope everyone is well. Long story short was looking at buying a GS450h (2009) and also at the same time being tempted by a 2007 Ls460. The dealer with the GS didn't really want to do a great exchange deal with my current car whereas LS dealer is open to doing a good deal. Anyway what I wanted to ask was given that the LS 460 has 186,000 miles I'm a bit worried. I know that mileage isn't a thing with Lexus especially if the car has been looked after. Description says all servicing done by Lexus or Toyota. In the MOT history the only thing that caught my eye was:

• Exhaust carbon monoxide content after 2nd fast idle exceeds default limits (8.2.1.2 (b))

What do you guy s think about this said LS460?  Is it a good idea?

Also if anyone has a GS450h as well or has driven one, how would you say the performance compares to the LS460. Which one s faster in real life driving?

Thank you 

Alex 

I think you need to find out if any suspension work has been done. Take a test drive and see how it feels.

Its a heavy car and the rubbers underneath will start to wear out. Also the exhaust is not stainless on these and may need attention especially the backboxes.

I've seen the car you mentioned on AT

The rear looks well used so could possibly be a chauffeur car??

The tyres appear all matching and branded which is a good sign.

I think going through the service history and taking a test drive will answer alot of questions. 

14 minutes ago, cruisermark said:

I think you need to find out if any suspension work has been done. Take a test drive and see how it feels.

Its a heavy car and the rubbers underneath will start to wear out. Also the exhaust is not stainless on these and may need attention especially the backboxes.

I've seen the car you mentioned on AT

The rear looks well used so could possibly be a chauffeur car??

The tyres appear all matching and branded which is a good sign.

I think going through the service history and taking a test drive will answer alot of questions. 

Definitely will go over the service history if I end up leaning towards the LS (but right now I think i'm leaning more to GS ha ha). The rear seats combined with the high mileage does look like it was used a fair amount so mixed thoughts overall on my part. 

Read a few reviews on the model and some utube videos on front suspension replacement costs and it looks to be a very expensive car to replace these items, also there is a video by one guy" carwizard" utube which depicts the failure of the ECU to respond to reprogramming other than by a Lexus dealership at an very high  cost .

Lexus have an enviable reputation for quality build but mileage will wear anything down and then you pay for that reputation.

• Like 1

I would, definitely, check out the suspension components. My 460 has done 120,000 miles and had no problems, whatsoever, in the suspension area. I live outside the UK and do not have to suffer the terrible road surfaces you are subjected to. 

• Like 1

Also remember that the radiator does need changing at some close point .....  if it's not been done ......  to save the dreaded seepage / leakage and gearbox failure

Malc

• Like 1

and I see there's one just around the corner from me at £4312 ( a strange price ! ) at 193k miles and 5 owners and an amazing clear looking MOT  GV56EYU

I haven't seen the car out driving but there again who goes out much these days !

Malc

49 minutes ago, Malc said:

Also remember that the radiator does need changing at some close point .....  if it's not been done ......  to save the dreaded seepage / leakage and gearbox failure

Malc

Great thanks, I'll look for this in the history if I go see the car. 

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

and I see there's one just around the corner from me at £4312 ( a strange price ! ) at 193k miles and 5 owners and an amazing clear looking MOT  GV56EYU

I haven't seen the car out driving but there again who goes out much these days !

Malc

You know , believe it or not since a week ago I keep seeing a silver one driving in the opposite direction to me where I live. Don't think I've ever seen a 460 around here before. It's seeing it that has started to tempt me😁. You sure get bang for your buck with high mileage Lexus cars but I suppose there's always a chance it might go wrong. 

I'm trying, quite unsuccessfully mind you, to track down a posting I made quite a while back when I bumped into a guy locally ( to where this specific Ls460 might be ) who had bought himself a silver Ls460 and I mentioned to him the potential gearbox issue re the radiator ........  I can't remember fully what he said BUT he had the dreaded failure on his Ls430 and thought it wouldn't happen on his, new to him Ls460 .........  but it had started to cause issues and I  think he said he had the radiator sorted and saved the gearbox ok

Really strange coincidence to have another silver Ls460 around the corner though

I shan't go see it just in case I'm foolishly tempted to change it for my beloved Ls400 :wink3:

Malc

27 minutes ago, Malc said:

I'm trying, quite unsuccessfully mind you, to track down a posting I made quite a while back when I bumped into a guy locally ( to where this specific Ls460 might be ) who had bought himself a silver Ls460 and I mentioned to him the potential gearbox issue re the radiator ........  I can't remember fully what he said BUT he had the dreaded failure on his Ls430 and thought it wouldn't happen on his, new to him Ls460 .........  but it had started to cause issues and I  think he said he had the radiator sorted and saved the gearbox ok

Really strange coincidence to have another silver Ls460 around the corner though

I shan't go see it just in case I'm foolishly tempted to change it for my beloved Ls400 :wink3:

Malc

Best try not looking at them Malc otherwise it all starts from there 😂 

I’m still waiting to see any LS on the other side of the Channel though. Never set eyes on one. Well except one LS460 in Italy many many years ago. Didn’t see the reg though so could have been from any country. 

I'm in Holland and there are only a few here.  I concur with what Malc says wrt the radiator change. I had mine done at 100,000 miles and the mechanic said that there was signs of 'stress'.

7 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

I'm in Holland and there are only a few here.  I concur with what Malc says wrt the radiator change. I had mine done at 100,000 miles and the mechanic said that there was signs of 'stress'.

Cool that’s interesting to know and yeah I’ll definitely be looking to see about the radiator if I was to go for the LS although to be honest right now I think I’m leaning more towards the GS 450h but would really like one to come along in my favourite colour with a sunroof. 

1 hour ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Cool that’s interesting to know and yeah I’ll definitely be looking to see about the radiator if I was to go for the LS although to be honest right now I think I’m leaning more towards the GS 450h but would really like one to come along in my favourite colour with a sunroof. 

I've not driven the GS450h but I read great things about them, the acceleration is amazing!  Also having had the GS300 I know the cabin is a nice place to be, it's still a big car.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I've not driven the GS450h but I read great things about them, the acceleration is amazing!  Also having had the GS300 I know the cabin is a nice place to be, it's still a big car.

That's good to know. I've noticed that it looks very big in photos and was watching a youtube video of the GS450h and LS460 comparison and to be honest the GS and LS look very similar in size (at least to me) 🤨  The one I was looking at (but doesn't look like I'll take it as the dealer is being stingy about my trade in) has gorgeous cherry wood trim and on the steering wheel also which would be lovely to look at driving along. Sadly it hasn't got a sunroof (driving me crazy):wallbash:

18 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

That's good to know. I've noticed that it looks very big in photos and was watching a youtube video of the GS450h and LS460 comparison and to be honest the GS and LS look very similar in size (at least to me) 🤨  The one I was looking at (but doesn't look like I'll take it as the dealer is being stingy about my trade in) has gorgeous cherry wood trim and on the steering wheel also which would be lovely to look at driving along. Sadly it hasn't got a sunroof (driving me crazy):wallbash:

The GS is a car I had just after my last LS 430 and although not as long it still took up most of my drive.  Have you not considered a facelift LS430?  They're easy to work on and many say the ride is better than the 460.

3 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

The GS is a car I had just after my last LS 430 and although not as long it still took up most of my drive.  Have you not considered a facelift LS430?  They're easy to work on and many say the ride is better than the 460.

Would love a 430 (my parents have two) they're simply epic cars but the economy for me is the thing. Ours gets average 24 MPG whereas GS450h is mid 30s if I'm being careful. 

29 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

Would love a 430 (my parents have two) they're simply epic cars but the economy for me is the thing. Ours gets average 24 MPG whereas GS450h is mid 30s if I'm being careful. 

I guess so, although I've never considered considered mine gas guzzlers but then I only do about 4k a year.

33 minutes ago, The Lexus Enthusiast said:

but the economy for me is the thing.

can't believe anyone thinking of a V8 or similar is worried one jot about the petrol consumption !

V8 and economy just doesn't ever equate :unsure:

Malc

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Tulpen said:

I would, definitely, check out the suspension components. My 460 has done 120,000 miles and had no problems, whatsoever, in the suspension area. I live outside the UK and do not have to suffer the terrible road surfaces you are subjected to. 

No idea what you mean Brian, all UK roads are well maintained due to all the money we pay to keep them like that 😀

272BDF4B-210E-4CE2-B193-D34264C8D2CC.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

No idea what you mean Brian, all UK roads are well maintained due to all the money we pay to keep them like that 😀

272BDF4B-210E-4CE2-B193-D34264C8D2CC.jpeg

I think the roads are worse now than they've ever been.  I wouldn't dare to relax at the wheel any more for fear of biting my own tongue when I drive over a crater.

• Like 1

Yep the roads for sure kill any suspension much quicker.

My experience of owning LS400 Number 1, with starting mileage of 154,000 and moved on at 190,000, was suspension had not been worked on and was in need of just about everything looking at, and so LS number 2, was 132,000 on clock (13 years old when bought) and was no problems at all up until we start getting to 160,000 when suspension start to call show signs of loosening up.  My mechanic reckons the control arms were newish about the time I bought it.  Now up to 210,000 with new ARB bushes, new shocks all around, and the drop links clunking ( a bit ) I would say a 460 as a little heavier will be more than driveable but not as nice as when new without a fair bit of cash given its mileage hitting 186,000.

I sometimes drool over LS460's but have been thinking GS might be the way to go to get a younger car, though took my 21 year old LS for a nice high speed spin, and just cannot get over (despite a few rattles) the silence in the cabin.

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I think the roads are worse now than they've ever been.  I wouldn't dare to relax at the wheel any more for fear of biting my own tongue when I drive over a crater.

Same here, I'm always feeling like I just wrecked the suspension!

21 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Yep the roads for sure kill any suspension much quicker.

My experience of owning LS400 Number 1, with starting mileage of 154,000 and moved on at 190,000, was suspension had not been worked on and was in need of just about everything looking at, and so LS number 2, was 132,000 on clock (13 years old when bought) and was no problems at all up until we start getting to 160,000 when suspension start to call show signs of loosening up.  My mechanic reckons the control arms were newish about the time I bought it.  Now up to 210,000 with new ARB bushes, new shocks all around, and the drop links clunking ( a bit ) I would say a 460 as a little heavier will be more than driveable but not as nice as when new without a fair bit of cash given its mileage hitting 186,000.

I sometimes drool over LS460's but have been thinking GS might be the way to go to get a younger car, though took my 21 year old LS for a nice high speed spin, and just cannot get over (despite a few rattles) the silence in the cabin.

Yeah I'm getting a bit worried about this LS and I'm leaning towards the GS450h anyhow. In the back of my mind I sometimes think what a pleasure it is to drive the flagship giant though🙂

15 hours ago, Malc said:

can't believe anyone thinking of a V8 or similar is worried one jot about the petrol consumption !

V8 and economy just doesn't ever equate :unsure:

Malc

Quite right ha ha although at least the GS will hopefully get mid 30s if I'm careful. I hope.