Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Never one to brag but...

20 minutes ago, Las Palmas said:

Polarized shades are to be used for fishing when you want to see through the surface, looking at fish or corals or whatever is in the water.

Polarized shades are not for driving as you will not be able to see if there are water on the road (which could make it slippery).

Polarized shades are dangerous when riding bike at high speed on paved roads for the same reason; not seeing water. Not all polarized glasses are filtering same level.

About 3-4 years ago  I had prescription long distance glasses made for driving and at the same time sun glasses also for this purpose.  The Optician  showed me samples of both polarized and normal and I opted for the polarized ones which I thought better.  I was then shown several tints and was told the one I chose was the darkest one permitted for driving.  In use these worked very well for me.  They are definitely polarized as for example you can see the heat/stress marks in windscreens that you don't see with normal shades.  These make the graphics on my TomTom more dim but still just readable .  However, they have not worked for me with the HUD on my RX so I reverted to a cheap less highly tinted ordinary pair as a temporary arrangement  until I can confer with my Optician.  (I have passed tests which mean I don't have to wear any distance glasses as none were used during the tests).

Polarized glasses are given the thumbs up for driving here https://www.bantonframeworks.co.uk/blogs/sunglasses/best-polarised-sunglasses-for-driving 

So this may be of interest to Herbie or anybody else with HUD. 

• Like 1

Barry14UK, before I had my cataracts I couldn't drive at night, the oncoming lights were just too overwhelming, Since then I have discovered two great brands. Firstly, Hoya EnRoute, incredible lightweight lens that make  driving at night no longer a pain. Secondly, Serengeti sunglasses, these must be the best daytime drivers in the world. It's like looking at the world in HD. Check them out, neither are inexpensive but the difference is astonishing, 

53 minutes ago, Barry14UK said:

About 3-4 years ago  I had prescription long distance glasses made for driving and at the same time sun glasses also for this purpose.  The Optician  showed me samples of both polarized and normal and I opted for the polarized ones which I thought better.  I was then shown several tints and was told the one I chose was the darkest one permitted for driving.  In use these worked very well for me.  They are definitely polarized as for example you can see the heat/stress marks in windscreens that you don't see with normal shades.  These make the graphics on my TomTom more dim but still just readable .  However, they have not worked for me with the HUD on my RX so I reverted to a cheap less highly tinted ordinary pair as a temporary arrangement  until I can confer with my Optician.  (I have passed tests which mean I don't have to wear any distance glasses as none were used during the tests).

Polarized glasses are given the thumbs up for driving here https://www.bantonframeworks.co.uk/blogs/sunglasses/best-polarised-sunglasses-for-driving 

So this may be of interest to Herbie or anybody else with HUD. 

I use sunglasses from Rudy Project and Uvex with photochromatic lenses (not polarized) going from 0 to 3 and they are never too dark (as they only get darker when light is strong) and never too transparent. One problem with shades no matter whatever kind is that when suddenly getting into a tunnel they almost always are too dark.

1 minute ago, Phil xxkr said:

Barry14UK, before I had my cataracts I couldn't drive at night, the oncoming lights were just too overwhelming, Since then I have discovered two great brands. Firstly, Hoya EnRoute, incredible lightweight lens that make  driving at night no longer a pain. Secondly, Serengeti sunglasses, these must be the best daytime drivers in the world. It's like looking at the world in HD. Check them out, neither are inexpensive but the difference is astonishing, 

Edit, before I had my cataracts done that is 

• Like 2

I suppose like so much else in the life people find some certain things work better for them than others but it makes sense to look at options. I will look into  the suggestions made.   I find there is a fairly short period around twilight when conventional sun glasses are not suitable.  I bought some very pale yellow glasses at a trucker's service station in the USA many years ago and these help until it becomes too dark.  I don't use any tinted glasses after that and if an approaching vehicle has a  beam likely to temporarily blind you, do what we were told to do in the Army, ie, close one eye until all is dark again so you have immediate focus when you open your closed eye. 

Sorry Herbie, digressed on a detail that was raised. Enjoy your lovely car.

10 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

I suppose like so much else in the life people find some certain things work better for them than others but it makes sense to look at options. I will look into  the suggestions made.   I find there is a fairly short period around twilight when conventional sun glasses are not suitable.  I bought some very pale yellow glasses at a trucker's service station in the USA many years ago and these help until it becomes too dark.  I don't use any tinted glasses after that and if an approaching vehicle has a  beam likely to temporarily blind you, do what we were told to do in the Army, ie, close one eye until all is dark again so you have immediate focus when you open your closed eye. 

Sorry Herbie, digressed on a detail that was raised. Enjoy your lovely car.

That's a great Army tip Barry. I go to isight, a manufacturing optical firm in Shepshed near Loughborough. Gayle who works there is ex Hoya and very knowledgeable and being manufacturers they will fit lens to existing frames. However due to current circumstances I am not sure of their current status. 

23 hours ago, flookyk said:

You can turn off the bleeps on the speed warning and just have the speed sign on dashboard that goes red when over the limit it last recognised.

I need the BEEPS and find them helpful especially in the 20 mph zones. I like the way it changes to and from red but I do like to try and look through the front window occasionally. Every journey to CostCo Bristol it reads the prominent 20 sign at the entrance to  the road on the left before you get to the CostCo entrance. I haven't found a button yet that cancels it manually but I'd rather keep the system on as I picked up a ridiculous speeding fine 2 years ago.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links