Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oily soot!

Delp

Hi all encountered my first issue. Found oily soot whilst cleaning the engine bay. Would anyone like to advise on what the issue could be. No oil residue on the driveway that I can see. Any way I cleaned the area and ran the car at idle 5 mins to observe. No visiable signs of any leak around that area. Few weeks ago I did see wet ATF pipe seemed like it was oil, may be it was same issue finding it's way down the pipe. I cleaned that area up nothing since Any help be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_20210324_202239_compress78.jpg

IMG_20210325_085854_compress11.jpg

It's possible to have very slight leaks that aren't always obvious. I had one identified recently in the rocker cover gasket on mine, it was never noticeable on the dipstick and only a tiny little bit of oil was weeping out.

18 hours ago, m4rkw said:

It's possible to have very slight leaks that aren't always obvious. I had one identified recently in the rocker cover gasket on mine, it was never noticeable on the dipstick and only a tiny little bit of oil was weeping out.

I will monitor it closely. Have you got a Soarer? Does the LS400 share the same 1UZ-FE engine, as wondering were to get gasket set. 

I don't think it's anything to be too concerned about but keep an eye on the power steering pump and pipes. And I believe the 4 litre Soarer shared the 1uzfe.

On 3/26/2021 at 3:45 PM, The-Acre said:

I don't think it's anything to be too concerned about but keep an eye on the power steering pump and pipes. And I believe the 4 litre Soarer shared the 1uzfe.

Were abouts in the engine area should I be looking.. 

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

I got a bit confused here, you are talking about the 1uzfe engine?

Yes sorry 1UZ-FE wondering were abouts the power steering pump is located in the engine bay. A picture highlighted be helpfully. 

6 hours ago, Delp said:

Yes sorry 1UZ-FE wondering were abouts the power steering pump is located in the engine bay. A picture highlighted be helpfully. 

These are pictures from another site, they show the areas where the pump can leak, generally a hose, or in my case it was the simple 0 ring that sealed the reservoir to the pump body. Many examples of the pump leaking onto the alternator and wrecking it. Also the steering fluid cooling pipes in front of the radiator can fail. The pump is on the left just above the alternator as you face the engine.

20140117_223449.jpg

lgg1hnnr2m7w66t23udf.png

13 hours ago, The-Acre said:

These are pictures from another site, they show the areas where the pump can leak, generally a hose, or in my case it was the simple 0 ring that sealed the reservoir to the pump body. Many examples of the pump leaking onto the alternator and wrecking it. Also the steering fluid cooling pipes in front of the radiator can fail. The pump is on the left just above the alternator as you face the engine.

20140117_223449.jpg

lgg1hnnr2m7w66t23udf.png

Thanks I will have a good poke around. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cleaned area as advised. I found bit wet around the area highlighted underneath I'm not losing oil or any noticeable puddles. Should I get the RC cover gasket replaced if so what other seals should be done whilst it's apart. 

IMG_20210412_161903_compress59.jpg

• 5 weeks later...