Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Worst appliance purchase?

54 minutes ago, First_Lexus said:

@rich1068if I was in the market for a cordless vacuum, which brands would you recommend? Are any of them any good?

Sorry, no experience of the cordless stuff. I run a commercial cleaning company so my criteria is durability, cost and ease of repair. I probably own around 60 Numatic/Henry vacs because they're tough enough to cope with all sorts of abuse, can be easily fixed if the do break and can be picked up for around 100 quid. At home we have a Vax upright which is superior to the Dyson in every way.

• Thanks 1

We now have the best vacuum cleaner we have ever had. Having a Labrador that sheds hair faster than a barber, we purchased a Shark. Amazing how well it picks up dog hair and everything else. The only disadvantage is the collecting container is small and needs emptying frequently. We are looking for a cordless hand-held machine for small spillages.

I am currently experiencing this dilemma because I need a new gas hob.

Certain requirements, such as a glass top, 'Wok' type double burner and individual stands mean my choice is limited, but I can't seem to find one that doesn't appear to have some quality problems.

I don't mind paying extra if it means quality but that is exactly what I am struggling to find!  I am currently tempted by a NEFF (this one) but I have never owned a NEFF appliance before, so I am not sure.

We originally bought a Hoover Junior which only needed replacement rubber bands that turned the brush and a new brush.  I remember being told by somebody in the business to hang onto this solid little machine.  However, we were seduced by the increasingly popular and 'must have' Dyson which did have more suction power and and better contained dust container.  That lasted a few years before breaking and we bought our  German made SEBO about 12 years ago and it is still going strong. It was a recommended model by 'Which' at the time and was also recommended by a neighbour.  The only drawback it that is as an upright model the suction hose for attachments is near the top of the machine.  Care needs to be exercised not to pull it over when using the extended hose.  When using just as an upright this situation does not apply of course.

My experience is that electrical appliances  have more clever functions nowadays (many of which you never use) but lack the reliability of those of years ago.  I discussed this with a neighbour about 13 years ago as he was an area manager for an electrical appliance company and he agreed saying 7 years life was about average at the time.

Our first washing machine was a cheap Indesit front loader.  From memory, the  only control was for half load, the capacity was quite small and the single speed spin very low by present standards.  However, that  machine lasted 17 years serving my wife and me and our two children well with the only cost being 2 replacement rubber gaskets that seal the outer drum to the body.  I replaced these gaskets myself so no other cost involved.

Well if you think that was good, our second one  a Zanussi lasted 21 years and on the original outer drum to body seal too!  After about 18 months the bracket holding the motor broke.  This was before I had welding gear so I fashioned a part bracket and secured with three high tensile nuts and bolts.  Other than that, I replaced the on/off switch once and another control twice where the plastic grips had become brittle and sheared and also a worn drive belt).  Eventually, a small hole developed in the outer drum causing water to short out the very good AEG motor. My daughter had a later model Zanussi (I think it was called 'Jet Stream') and this lasted for an even more amazing 23 years by which time the central bearing was on it's way out. Since then her replacement machines have only lasted a much shorter time as others have experienced.  I doubt my more recently purchased AEG and Siemens appliances will do as well. Incidentally, I did look at the Neff cooker with the neat inward folding door but read some people were having problems with that model so avoided it.

So there you are, more sophistication at a comparatively reasonable price compared to electrical white appliances of years ago but lacking durability.  Not quite white appliances but TV's seem to be a bit of an exception, needing less repair or perhaps I have just been lucky mainly with Panasonic (say I with fingers crossed and tempting providence).

.

15 hours ago, PRT68 said:

Dyson cordless stick vacuum. Paid £375 for it 3 years ago. Very good at first. Easy to use, and would last for 40 minutes with a combination of high and low powers. Coped with doing the whole house. 

Now, battery only lasts about 20 minutes and you have to think carefully how to set about cleaning. On full power, will only last a few minutes. A new battery is about £75, and I suppose I should replace. 

Talk about range anxiety! I could never cope with an all electric car....

Bought a Battery from China on eBay. Twice the power. Full speed (so called turbo) 8 minutes instead of 2. Normal more than 40 minutes instead of 16. Original Battery lasted 2 years just more than warranty. Chinese Battery is now 3 year old and still like new.

Otherwise, machine is OK.

12 hours ago, Shahpor said:

I am currently experiencing this dilemma because I need a new gas hob.

Certain requirements, such as a glass top, 'Wok' type double burner and individual stands mean my choice is limited, but I can't seem to find one that doesn't appear to have some quality problems.

I don't mind paying extra if it means quality but that is exactly what I am struggling to find!  I am currently tempted by a NEFF (this one) but I have never owned a NEFF appliance before, so I am not sure.

Shahpor, we have had Neff for 7 years without problems.

We have a 5 ring gas stainless steel (I think) hob and two Electric Ovens for which I`ve had to replace a bulb in each.

• Thanks 1

Just waiting for the annual repair of our vaillant boiler. It’s nearly 8 years old and out of warranty now. It has required something repairing since it was new with a number of water leaks requiring buckets underneath it, luckily all covered by the warranty. It has been serviced annually as required by the warranty but as the services are quite basic nothing is ever found faulty until it fails again a couple of months later. Might be time to cut my losses and look for a replacement 

1 minute ago, Bob99 said:

Just waiting for the annual repair of our vaillant boiler. It’s nearly 8 years old and out of warranty now. It has required something repairing since it was new with a number of water leaks requiring buckets underneath it, luckily all covered by the warranty. It has been serviced annually as required by the warranty but as the services are quite basic nothing is ever found faulty until it fails again a couple of months later. Might be time to cut my losses and look for a replacement 

I guess there are always bad models and/or a rogue device that gives problems but Vaillant and Worcester Bosch are the two most reliable brands - top the Which? report every year for reliability.

My Vaillant has been going for 20 years now, it has had a new pump and fan in that time but these fail on any boiler over time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

We originally bought a Hoover Junior which only needed replacement rubber bands that turned the brush and a new brush.  I remember being told by somebody in the business to hang onto this solid little machine.  However, we were seduced by the increasingly popular and 'must have' Dyson which did have more suction power and and better contained dust container.  That lasted a few years before breaking and we bought our  German made SEBO about 12 years ago and it is still going strong. It was a recommended model by 'Which' at the time and was also recommended by a neighbour.  The only drawback it that is as an upright model the suction hose for attachments is near the top of the machine.  Care needs to be exercised not to pull it over when using the extended hose.  When using just as an upright this situation does not apply of course.

My experience is that electrical appliances  have more clever functions nowadays (many of which you never use) but lack the reliability of those of years ago.  I discussed this with a neighbour about 13 years ago as he was an area manager for an electrical appliance company and he agreed saying 7 years life was about average at the time.

Our first washing machine was a cheap Indesit front loader.  From memory, the  only control was for half load, the capacity was quite small and the single speed spin very low by present standards.  However, that  machine lasted 17 years serving my wife and me and our two children well with the only cost being 2 replacement rubber gaskets that seal the outer drum to the body.  I replaced these gaskets myself so no other cost involved.

Well if you think that was good, our second one  a Zanussi lasted 21 years and on the original outer drum to body seal too!  After about 18 months the bracket holding the motor broke.  This was before I had welding gear so I fashioned a part bracket and secured with three high tensile nuts and bolts.  Other than that, I replaced the on/off switch once and another control twice where the plastic grips had become brittle and sheared and also a worn drive belt).  Eventually, a small hole developed in the outer drum causing water to short out the very good AEG motor. My daughter had a later model Zanussi (I think it was called 'Jet Stream') and this lasted for an even more amazing 23 years by which time the central bearing was on it's way out. Since then her replacement machines have only lasted a much shorter time as others have experienced.  I doubt my more recently purchased AEG and Siemens appliances will do as well. Incidentally, I did look at the Neff cooker with the neat inward folding door but read some people were having problems with that model so avoided it.

So there you are, more sophistication at a comparatively reasonable price compared to electrical white appliances of years ago but lacking durability.  Not quite white appliances but TV's seem to be a bit of an exception, needing less repair or perhaps I have just been lucky mainly with Panasonic (say I with fingers crossed and tempting providence).

.

Agree with Barry on the SEBO. We have had two as we bought one for a family member. Still have them after 12 years.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

We have a 5 ring gas stainless steel (I think) hob and two Electric Ovens for which I`ve had to replace a bulb in each.

Good to know, thanks John 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

^^ To be fair, I think the warnings against NEFF are specific to their washing machines, washer/dryers and dishwashers, although the electric double oven with the door that ‘folds’ out of the way is known to be problematic. 

The NEFF induction hob and double oven I have fitted haven’t caused trouble - yet. Dishwasher and washer both terrible as per previous posts, and washer replaced with AEG. Dishwasher will be replaced next time it fails. Mind you, their Trustpilot score doesn’t paint a rosy picture...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.neff.co.uk

1 minute ago, First_Lexus said:

^^ To be fair, I think the warnings against NEFF are specific to their washing machines, washer/dryers and dishwashers, although the electric double oven with the door that ‘folds’ out of the way is known to be problematic. 

The NEFF induction hob and double oven I have fitted haven’t caused trouble - yet. Dishwasher and washer both terrible as per previous posts, and washer replaced with AEG. Dishwasher will be replaced next time it fails. Mind you, their Trustpilot score doesn’t paint a rosy picture...

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.neff.co.uk

Thanks Ed.

Now, if only Toyota made; Dishwashers, Washing machines, Dryers, Fridges, Freezers, Vacuums etc  !

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Ed.

Now, if only Toyota made; Dishwashers, Washing machines, Dryers, Fridges, Freezers, Vacuums etc  !

From a Japanese product perspective, Sharp still make appliances but in general the reviews aren’t very favourable.
Panasonic used to - my microwave is coming up for 20 years old, regular use and no issues at all - but I haven’t seen Panasonic branded white goods for many years. If there was a good Japanese option for built-in appliances, I’d be there like a flash...so perhaps I’ll give Sharp a try next time if I can confirm where they are actually manufactured.

• Like 1

There are certainly Panasonic and Sharp friges, microvaves and smaller appliances like toasters, irons etc. But you right in UK is hard to comeby. 

LG and Samsung makes dishwashers and washing machines, but to be fair I have never heard anything good about them. They seems to follow very Korean trend (like car manufacturers) - include every single possible function, but none of them work very well. Obviously, Samsung and LG smart fridges are well known and I think as friges they are alright, the problem comes with all "smart" functions - not only they make no sense, but as well they are the things which makes the firdge obsolete very quickly... and that is not good for appliance which could easily last 20 years... and as always all that unnecessary stuff not only costs extra money, but as well becomes aditional point of failure.

8 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

There are certainly Panasonic and Sharp friges, microvaves and smaller appliances like toasters, irons etc. But you right in UK is hard to comeby. 

LG and Samsung makes dishwashers and washing machines, but to be fair I have never heard anything good about them. They seems to follow very Korean trend (like car manufacturers) - include every single possible function, but none of them work very well. Obviously, Samsung and LG smart fridges are well known and I think as friges they are alright, the problem comes with all "smart" functions - not only they make no sense, but as well they are the things which makes the firdge obsolete very quickly... and that is not good for appliance which could easily last 20 years... and as always all that unnecessary stuff not only costs extra money, but as well becomes aditional point of failure.

A long but enjoyable read if one has the time.  https://autocognition.wordpress.com/2014/05/23/toyota-the-worlds-most-exciting-washing-machine/

I think in some respects electrical appliances can be like cars, you can be unlucky and just get the occasional very poor one or the particular model of a range that is known to be less reliable.  Our first gas boiler, a Vokera, needed replacement quite soon after purchase and the Ideal needed some replacement parts and quite a bit of servicing too.  When we moved to Devon I did quite a bit of research before deciding on a new heating system and got the boiler selection down to two viz Worcester and Viessman.  The 100 model Viessman at the time had been known to have had problems but the 200 model was highly rated an recommended in the 'Which' tests. Unlike the Worcester, it had a stainless steel heat exchanger with a 10 year warranty.  I opted for the 200 along with a Viessman high pressure water cylinder.  There were only two listed installers listed in North Devon at the time who had done the Viessman training course and I used one of these but I suppose most boiler installers could do an install.  I am very happy with my choice.  The boiler has been serviced once in the 9 or so years since it was installed and has just been left to do it's thing.  A device is incorporated that senses external temperature changes and adjusts the boiler appropriately in preparation.  Viessman boilers for the UK are made in Germany where they have won a number of awards.  This illustrates my point about considering not just a make but a specific model that might suit your needs.  Of course models have subsequently been upgraded and you can now control boiler remotely with your phone etc.                                                                                                                                                                                                      I didn't use these people to install but they give a useful brief run down for anybody that may be interested.  https://heatingforce.co.uk/blog/where-viessmann-boilers-made/

Also some interesting information here https://www.boilerguide.co.uk/articles/worst-boilers-reviews-prices-warranty

Again, as with cars some boiler manufacturers make changes that do not work out well in practice.  My daughter had a boiler with a model that 'Which?' made a best buy quite some years back and it served her well.  However, plastic was substituted for metal components in later  versions causing leaks and failure giving it a bad name.  I don't see the make now, although it may have been taken over by another company.  So past experience is not always something you can set store by.  Attempts to cut costs don't always benefit the consumer -  just look at the enviable regard Mercedes Benz once enjoyed and it's reliability standing nowadays.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

Vaillant has been going for 20 years now

I changed to a Vaillant boiler a few years ago now, been trouble free, at the recommendation of my plumber .......  his was 15 years old at the time and he couldn't recommend it highly enough .............  serviced annually, now clearly out of warranty so fingers xd

Malc

• Like 1

Although not quite on the scale of some of the appliances here, my mum received a Kenwood Chefette food mixer as a wedding present in 1973, and it's still going strong. I think the regular use (at least 2 or 3 times a week) has helped, but as far as I know no servicing or replacement parts have been fitted to the motor or electrical system. I can't imagine buying a food mixer today that would last 48 years!

• Like 3

I suppose the question now becomes: if you were to buy a new gas hob tomorrow, which brand would you buy from?  By the sounds of it, most modern appliances aren't very good...

Worst gas boiler we had was a Glow Worm 23CI. back in around 2000. Ours was nothing but trouble always flashing a fault code. Installed by me as CORGI registered at the time. Fitted same boiler in relatives house and theirs was fine. Wocester Bosch combi in other relatives also fault free. Replaced with another Bosch for a condensing version when 15 years old.

When we sold the house gave 1k back to put in a Worcester Bosch. Had a few houses with Worcester and all good but less than 2- 3 years old as moved house.

Moved to France and went with Villager AHI wood burning boiler stove and multifuel in County Kerry. Nice and reliable.

Worst appliance was an Intermarche bought fridge freezer, that was always wet inside even though drain in back was clear. Also the same brand FAR washing machine, just as surveyor asking about the electrics, decided to go bang with a big burst of black acrid smoke as well!

I can't stand Dyson. Always cringe when client brings one out. Prefer my henry!

Replaced with Bosch and not looked back. In 2010 bought a Bosch frost free fridge freezer when lived in Ireland, prior a dishwasher Classix which was at least 15 years old. New buyers didn't want FF as had a large one, so my Sister had it. Still going perfect today with no repairs ever.

James👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shahpor said:

I suppose the question now becomes: if you were to buy a new gas hob tomorrow, which brand would you buy from?  By the sounds of it, most modern appliances aren't very good...

I wouldn't have a problem getting a Neff/Bosch hob. Gas hobs are very reliable, not much to go wrong. An important thing is getting something that has spares available. Neff/Bosch sell their spares directly to the public and normally support for at least 10 years.

• Like 1

Our 1st washing machine was a Zanussi had it 10 years. When it packed in bought another had it about 3 years and it caught fire. Remember it well it was a Sunday lunchtime lucky we were in. Wife said smoke coming from worktop. It was well alight actually. Quickly disconnected and threw it out back door well alight, that's worst appliance experience I've had.

• Sad 4

9 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

I wouldn't have a problem getting a Neff/Bosch hob. Gas hobs are very reliable, not much to go wrong. An important thing is getting something that has spares available. Neff/Bosch sell their spares directly to the public and normally support for at least 10 years.

Spares availability is a good point that is not often considered.  Neff/Bosch is looking likely then.  Thanks Colin 👍

This is neither the worst nor best appliance purchased because it’s one we inherited when we bought our house - a Worcester Danesmoor oil boiler.

Now 32 years old and regularly serviced for the last twenty one.  Looked after by the same small family business who provided the same service for our previous house, every year I expect to be advised to get a modern replacement.  

But no.  After a good internal scrubbing and the occasional jet replaced, it’s pronounced good for another year and they refuse to try and sell me a replacement.

Similarly a 10 year-old Honda Izzy lawnmower became difficult to start up one Spring, so I thought it time to replace it.    I called the lad who’d been regularly servicing it about buying a new one from them.  He was horrified at the suggestion and insisted that they give it another service.

He said the modern Izzy is much inferior in quality and I would regret it.  Another service was all it needed!

And so it proved.  So more examples of they don’t make ‘em like they used to!

And that possibly applies to the traders too.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links