Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx300sel So Far

Dear all

I have been a silent viewer of the site for some months now and thought it was about time I registered and posted.

I became the proud owner of a brand new RX 300 SEL on the 8th March 2004. The car was purchased from a local Lexus dealership and I traded in an Audi TT 225 coupe which I had bought new some 18 months earlier. Even though very pleased with the TT, future family considerations meant that it had to go, and after much deliberating and a couple of test drives the RX 300 seemed to fit the bill.

This is the first Lexus and the first Japanese car that I have ever owned, having been a life long driver of Audis & Volkswagens, and it took me quite a while to make the dececion to change to what was in my eyes an unfamiliar brand.

I do have a small no of questions that I hope other RX300 owners may be able to answer:

The steering wheel on the car is slightly to the left whilst the car is driving straight. Is this normal? The vehicle does not pull to either direction, and drives a nice straight line if the wheel is released on a straight road.

This weekend, myself + wife + friends went away to France for the weekend in the car. Sat Nav was fantastic and worked a treat and the car performed beautifully at all times, however, yesterday when I cleaned it, I was concerned at the number of stone chips the vehicle seems to have collected on the bonnet around the grill area. Now I don't drive close to other vehicles and am not a high speed driver, prefering to stay on the inside lane at 65mph for most of the time. I do not recall following a gritting lorry or anything of the like, and the raods had not been gritted--in summary, my driving style has not changed yet in 800 miles in the RX I seem to have collected more stone chips than in the last 20,000 miles in my previous cars.

Has anyone had any paint issues with Lexus regarding stone chips etc or am I just unlucky on this occasion.

A slight / intermittant creaking noise is starting to appear from the front speaker area with the windscreen on the passenger side - has anyone else suffered from this?

Also (sorry if this is borring anyone;)), having read the American Lexus RX forums there would appear to be a couple of issues regarding rough shifting of the tranmission, dash board and sun roof rattles etc. Are these issues with the uk spec car?

Finally I have been trying to find out exactly when my car was built. I have searched all over the car to try and find some sort of manufacture date, yet all I seem to find are vehicle idents nos and other codes which I cannot decipher as a build date. Any ideas?

I am so far very pleased with the car and am finding the drive a rather refreshing change from having my teeth rattled loose by all the sports cars that I have owned. The Lexus would appear to easily have the build quality of the german equivilants and I would even consider it superior in many areas. I have purchased this car with the intention of keeping it for many years of luxury trouble-free motoring.

Lexus have been a pleasure to do business with thus far, something I cannot say for Audi who disappointingly still ahve a long way to go with regard to customer satisfaction IMHO.

If anyone can answer some of the above I would be grateful - right now my only concern with the car is the stone chip issue.

RxMike

The steering wheel is a pretty common one here recently in IS's, basically it's been tracked with the steering wheel at an angle.. Someone posted a Lexus document for the IS300 yesterday which was an official service document on how to fix this problem. Don't know if it applies to the RX as well though but I guess the principle is the same.

As for stone chips that's about the worst problem with Lexus cars - most people get this problem - Lexus use thin paint that gets this a lot. My bonnet had been fully resprayed before I picked it up (it was 3 years old) so it's not that bad at the mo but maybe it's worth having a word with them as it's taking the mickey for it to go that quickly.

Enjoy the car anyway :)

Welcome to the club Mike. What colour is she?

Once you go jap, you dont go back ;)

argh the paint, I was lent a brand new Is with 1500 on the clock, scratches and chips all over the front bonnet :ohmy:

Oh one more thing, Go Gold :zee:

Welcome Mike,

No heard of transmission problems with UK models. I guess they use the same gearbox, engine is different.

Your dealer will be able to tell you the build date from the chassis number.

With regard to the stone chips speak to your dealer. They should sort it out for you with such low mileage. If not then contact Lexus GB.

Hi Mike! Welcome!

Seems like this is Lurker coming out time :ph34r:

First things first - great choice! I know how it feels to give up a TT225 for a RX300 - I have to do this every Friday but the good thing is every Monday Morning I get the TT back! :D Basically the TT is mine and the RX is my wifes but at weekends we only use the Lex. You know how hard 4 in a TT can be!

Steering wheel - Mine is as straight as a die - no probs at all - I would speak to the dealer.

Stone Chips - Mine has done c.5000 miles now and no chips yet, that said seems like I am one of the lucky ones. :unsure:

Creaking noise - funny you should say this but I meant to mention this to my dealer. (He will most likly read this thread!) But I have had creaking which seems to happen most when the car is warming up. Can't decide whether it is coming from the passenger speaker or somewhere around the centre speaker just above the Nav? I'll have a better look/listen.

Build Date - no idea :duh:

In so far as keeping it for many years watch out! We bought our first RX with that very intention. One test drive of the Mk2 RX300 and we parted with more cash and we now have a RX400H on order. Lexus are good at getting, as they say in Management seminars - 'greater share of wallet' - ho hum!

Audi customer service compared to Lexus - tell me about it - there was a thread here some months ago on that very subject, I am sure a search will find it for you, interesting reading!

Did/do you frequent the TT forum? ( http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/ ) If so what was your user name, I am JacTT225.

Hope you get your stonechips sorted soon

Happy crusing

John

Dear all

Thanx for the response.

I will monitor the stone chip issue to see if it gets any worse over the coming miles. Have already touched in the worst offenders, but will probably inform the sales man next week.

My RX is Platinum Ice with Pembroke Leather, I also went for the boot liner as an option but not the engine under cover.

I had asked the dealer to fit the rear bumper protector, but this LED to a considerable delay on the day of the handover, as the car was not ready at the alloted collection time due to probs in getting the protector to stick down. After four different protectors had been tried by the dealer, they admitted defeat and gave up. The car was then delivered to the handover bay with the rear bumper incorrectly fitted and had to be returned to be refitted correctly. Apparently the bumper was removed on the forth attempt in order to try and heat the film into place in the paint shop - again without success.

The salesman was very embarrassed as this LED to a further delay during which time they gave myself and my wife an RX300 to go out in for a few hours whilst the bumper was refitted.

To their credit, when we returned the car looked smashing, rear bumper refitted correctly and a large bouquet of flowers for the wife in the boot - expensive ones at that!

The handover took in the region of six hours - but we didn't mind and it was worth the wait.

John, my TT was Avus Silver with Silver Leather and BOSE sound - very nice car - seems from your pics we have the same taste in cars, but I never used the TT Forum. My wifes car, (Puma), is going next month for a Mini Cooper S, so I'm hoping this will go some way to make up for the TT's loss, but so far am more than pleased with the RX300.

I will post what the dealer says regarding stone chips once I've had a chat with them.

They have been very helpful up to this point and am sure will continue to do so. I'll get the wonky steering wheel straightened at the next service.

Will continue to post on any creaks or squeeks that develop - there's definately something creaking around the front pax door speaker and windshiels speaker area but will monitor further.

Happy motoring

Mike G a.k.a. RxMike

Creaking noise - funny you should say this but I meant to mention this to my dealer. (He will most likly read this thread!) But I have had creaking which seems to happen most when the car is warming up. Can't decide whether it is coming from the passenger speaker or somewhere around the centre speaker just above the Nav? I'll have a better look/listen.

Am I so predictable :blink:

John, can you let me listen to your creaks?

If it's just when warming up, we may need it overnight.

Ian

Hi

I have had my rx300sel for around 6 months and i too have a creaking noice while the car is warming up - it seems to be coming from the passenger side of the dashboard, either the air vent or from the air bag compartment.

More annoyingly i have a rattle from somewhere within the roof lining - maybe the sunroof, seems to be above the front passenger. I have to drive with the cover pulled across otherwise is drives me up the wall.

I spoke to my dealer about it but after very poor service from them over the years i don't have any faith in them fixing it. I have also lost faith with my next nearest dealer over problems with my previous car, an IS300.

Anything you find out about your rattle i woud find interesting.

I wish i could find a dealer that i had faith in, i am on my third lexus and even though i love my current car I sometimes think i might try a different brand next time simply because of my local dealers attitude.

Jon

Hi,

Mine too I have the same creaking noise from passenger side when warming up.

But my nearest dealer is 2 1/2 hours away so I just put up with it.

Perhaps when Edinburgh has estalished what the problem is I will book my car in there.

Note to RxMike. I have a Mini Cooper S works and you will not be disapointed

best wee car ever.

Will be featured in Mini World Mag soon. In fact if you get this month and go to page 100 my one is the blue one.

Hello

This isnt a problem with my RX......cos i dony have one.....But a vauxhall i drive does this it is caused by the plastic heater pipes expanding as they got hot when the car is warming up....the only way i could replicate it at the dealer was too put the A/C on 16c and chill the car right down and then put it on 27c and then you could it creak, dealer offered no real sloution on the problem.

Just make sure if you do this test you have a perfect windscreen (no chips or cracks) as doing the test will more than likely wreck it. Nick

I've had a RX300 SE since January and clocked up 6000 miles so far.

The car is superb, but I too get the annoying rattle from the front passenger side when the interior is cold. I think it may be the glove box hinge/mechanism, because when I press against the glove box door, the rattle stops. The noise goes when the interior warms up.

Now you mention it, I've noticed a couple of small stone chips on the bonnet beneath the grill that have started to corrode!!

I have a theory on the creaking problem - maybe because the dashboard panels etc. fit together so well (closely) when the car is starting to warm up, different materials expand at different rates and move against each other slightly, causing this creaking?

I had this problem in my first IS and mentioned it to the dealer. They put a dab of silicone spray lubricant on the offending area - problem solved. (Note this shouldn't be done on areas you can see as the spray leaves a slippery/glossy finish).

Don't start me on the Audi Customer Service thing .... bunch of ..... :tsktsk:

Anyway, hope you enjoy the RX - I got one for a 24hr test drive, loved it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke to the dealer last week and have had the stone chip issue noted as after 800 miles I think this is poor show.

Also mentioned the wonky steeering wheel so it can be straightened at the first service, although I might have it done sooner as its driving me mad.

The creaking is definatley coming from the speaker area on the front pax side at the base of the windscreen. It only does it when the internal temp of the car is below about 15 C and only creaks at these low temps when the car is driven over a bump. Once the car is warm or has been parked outside on a warm day the noise is not apparent.

I have also had the odd rattle from the glove box area, but it is very infrequent and is not really concerning me as yet.

I do sometimes get a really anoying high frequency rattle from the interior alarm sensor installation up by the interior mirror. This only happens when passing over certain road surfaces though - again it is intermittant but is very noticable when it does it.

Overall am still extremely pleased with the car and am enjoying driving it :D

RxMike

John

Cooper S arrives alledgedly on May 17th so if you know anyone who wants a Ford Puma 1.7 with luxpac, point them my way. It'll be up for sale at the end of this month.

I am finding myself looking at TT''s as they drive past. Am missing it, but am still pleased with new Lexus toy.

It's the Cooper that will hopefully fill the hole left by the TT.

Regards

Mike G

Mike/John

i'm another like John who has both TT225 (roadster) and Lexus RX. The perfect combination! Although I see John that you are waiting on the new 400 :blink:

Mike, I too get a squeaking/rattle type noise from the passenger side but I think it is where the dash joins at the window frame. This was a problem on my last RX and Edinburgh were great at sorting it out. Have to take it back in for them to do the same on this one now!?

John, passed your RX last night on way home with your wife in - next time I'll toot and wave (or in the TT - missed the meet this Easter weekend but am looking at the APR remap so maybe we'll meet up sooner or later). Look out for R300MCD or V reg silver TT.

Angus aka mcgus.

McGus

Still think it's funny, the coincidence!

Edinburgh, RX, TT........ dare I ask where you work - we may even know each other professionally. :o

Would be good to meet you at a TT meet - that last one on Easter Sunday was a lot of fun - 180miles of twisties at ahem 60mph :whistling::ph34r:

I too am seriously thinking about the APR remap, 270bhp could be a lot of fun!

Did you see the photos of the meet?

http://www.johncurrie.fotopic.net/c152845.html

Sorry Lexers gone a bit :offtopic:

McGus see you over at the 'other' forum :winky:

Dear all

Just a quick update on how I am getting on with my car now it has covered 1600 miles and has been on the road for 6 weeks.

Seem to have collected a couple more stone chips on the front despite relatively mild driving. Must admit that am finding this disappointing as it has not happened to this extent on any car I have ever owned previously. It has been noted with the dealer however who is keen to monitor the situation to see if it continues to deteriorate further.

The dash has started to make what I can only describe as a 'straining' type of noise. The sound eminates from deep inside of the dash, evidently from near the centre somewhere. At first it only did it when turning the steering to full right lock, but it is now starting to do it most of the time whilst the vehicle is in motion over either an A or B type road.

Unless it gets much worse, am not sure whether to let the dealer have a go at fixing it, as pulling the dash apart may result in more unwanted noises after its put back together again. Will have to see how it develops.

I have had one instance of the satnav dropping out and rebooting so to speak whilst I have been driving along with the map diplayed. The screen momentarily went off and then came back on with the Lexus logo, followed by the 'health warning' which I accepted in order to bring the map display back up. - As if the power to the system was momentarily interrupted, although the rest of the cars electrical system seemed fine.

Other than the above, car is still a joy to drive and am still very pleased with my purchase. ;)

Mike

• 9 months later...
Hi Mike!  Welcome!

Seems like this is Lurker coming out time  :ph34r:

First things first - great choice!  I know how it feels to give up a TT225 for a RX300 - I have to do this every Friday but the good thing is every Monday Morning I get the TT back!  :D  Basically the TT is mine and the RX is my wifes but at weekends we only use the Lex.  You know how hard 4 in a TT can be!

Steering wheel - Mine is as straight as a die - no probs at all - I would speak to the dealer.

Stone Chips - Mine has done c.5000 miles now and no chips yet, that said seems like I am one of the lucky ones. :unsure:

Creaking noise - funny you should say this but I meant to mention this to my dealer. (He will most likly read this thread!) But I have had creaking which seems to happen most when the car is warming up.  Can't decide whether it is coming from the passenger speaker or somewhere around the centre speaker just above the Nav?  I'll have a better look/listen.

Build Date - no idea  :duh:

In so far as keeping it for many years watch out!  We bought our first RX with that very intention.  One test drive of the Mk2 RX300 and we parted with more cash and we now have a RX400H on order.  Lexus are good at getting, as they say in Management seminars - 'greater share of wallet' - ho hum!

Audi customer service compared to Lexus - tell me about it - there was a thread here some months ago on that very subject, I am sure a search will find it for you, interesting reading!

Did/do you frequent the TT forum? ( http://www.tt-forum.co.uk/ttforumbbs/ )  If so what was your user name, I am JacTT225.

Hope you get your stonechips sorted soon

Happy crusing

John

I too have had poor after sales service from AUDI, I had an S8 and a couple of A6's though the cars were great the service charges/ recommended you have this done also sir/and this should be done just in case ect,ect............. just bull to claw more dough from you. Then you get a problem (A6 diesels ) owwwwaaaa the price ,help no more thanks , give me the Lex any day.

Dear All,

Very intereting to see the problems with transmission jerking and rattles on the nearside of the dash......just like my wife's own Rx300 SEL!

I have had the Battery disconnected and this does make the problem of jumpy transmission much better but it soon returns and is certainly nothing more than a makeshift fix. I have finally got Lexus (Southampton, very good) to change the gearbox master system computer and this helps but, youve guessed it, the problem soon comes back.

This car is now so bad that it is dangerous to drive in traffic. As you pull gently away it suddenly lurches forward nedeing quick application of the brake or a visit to the bodyshop! When slowing to join a roundabout or slip road it seems to forget to respond to the throttle and then will suddenly wake up and charges off again.

Today I have told them that we are rejecting the car after having owned it for 13 months and 19000 miles.............we shall see what happens now and let those of you that are interested know the outcome.

It is such shame as it basically a great car. The last one was brilliant and the new mk2 seemed beter again. Lets hope that Lexus live up to their reputation.

M'Lady's husband!

Dear all

I have been a silent viewer of the site for some months now and thought it was about time I registered and posted.

I became the proud owner of a brand new RX 300 SEL on the 8th March 2004. The car was purchased from a local Lexus dealership and I traded in an Audi TT 225 coupe which I had bought new some 18 months earlier. Even though very pleased with the TT, future family considerations meant that it had to go, and after much deliberating and a couple of test drives the RX 300 seemed to fit the bill.

This is the first Lexus and the first Japanese car that I have ever owned, having been a life long driver of Audis & Volkswagens, and it took me quite a while to make the dececion to change to what was in my eyes an unfamiliar brand.

I do have a small no of questions that  I hope other RX300 owners may be able to answer:

The steering wheel on the car is slightly to the left whilst the car is driving straight. Is this normal? The vehicle does not pull to either direction, and drives a nice straight line if the wheel is released on a straight road.

This weekend, myself + wife + friends went away to France for the weekend in the car. Sat Nav was fantastic and worked a treat and the car performed beautifully at all times, however, yesterday when I cleaned it, I was concerned at the number of stone chips the vehicle seems to have collected on the bonnet around the grill area. Now I don't drive close to other vehicles and am not a high speed driver, prefering to stay on the inside lane at 65mph for most of the time. I do not recall following a gritting lorry or anything of the like, and the raods had not been gritted--in summary, my driving style has not changed yet in 800 miles in the RX I seem to have collected more stone chips than in the last 20,000 miles in my previous cars.

Has anyone had any paint issues with Lexus regarding stone chips etc or am I just unlucky on this occasion.

A slight / intermittant creaking noise is starting to appear from the front speaker area with the windscreen on the passenger side - has anyone else suffered from this?

Also (sorry if this is borring anyone;)), having read the American Lexus RX forums there would appear to be a couple of issues regarding rough shifting of the tranmission, dash board and sun roof rattles etc. Are these issues with the uk spec car?

Finally I have been trying to find out exactly when my car was built. I have searched all over the car to try and find some sort of manufacture date, yet all I seem to find are vehicle idents nos and other codes which I cannot decipher as a build date. Any ideas?

I am so far very pleased with the car and am finding the drive a rather refreshing change from having my teeth rattled loose by all the sports cars that I have owned. The Lexus would appear to easily have the build quality of the german equivilants and I would even consider it superior in many areas. I have purchased this car with the intention of keeping it for many years of luxury trouble-free motoring.

Lexus have been a pleasure to do business with thus far, something I cannot say for Audi who disappointingly still ahve a long way to go with regard to customer satisfaction IMHO.

If anyone can answer some of the above I would be grateful - right now my only concern with the car is the stone chip issue.

RxMike

Hi mike,what's the economy like on your RX?, I seem to be only getting 22 with a very light right foot!!. :unsure:

Hi mike,what's the economy like on your RX?, I seem to be only getting 22 with a very light right foot!!. :unsure:

I'm not Mike of course but I think mine's still bedding down. Done almost 2000 miles now and I did notice a decrese in fuel consumption after around 1000-1500 miles. I live in London so half of my motoring is in traffic rather than open road. We did do a longer journey a few weeks back and got around 23mpg with cruising around 85-90 and some acceleration so could have been lighter foot. I would say my average is around 23 right now but heard a colleague at work who lives in Bracknell area getting with light foot around 24-25, so I'm ever hopeful of further improvements.

br

D

Damian, I hope mine improves, iv'e covered 500miles, The one they have lent me 2005SEL, has also covered 500miles and is showing 24/25 mpg on the same routes I always use!!!, I reported this to the dealer and asked that mine be checked somehow!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links