Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content


Noise from front wheel........"metal on metal"


Recommended Posts

Hi On Sunday went for a long drive in my RX450 2010 model and noticed a slight scraping coming from the front... As I got closer to home one and a half hours later it was very noticeable, quite worrying!

I have contacted Lexus Cardiff and it is in for Wednesday, for an "investigation" £140.00 inspection charge, which is supplementary to a fixing the problem charge!

I was also informed it is out of warranty, I have 88,000 miles on the clock...? Rather hoping it may only be a wheel bearing! Always had the services carried out at Lexus Bristol before, now in the Motorline group as Lexus Cardiff.

Has anyone had a similar problem coming from the front wheel?

Link to post
Share on other sites

£140 just to look at it? Seems a bit steep. I would consider going to an independent garage as it is out of warranty.

Just my thoughts.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

£140 just to look at it? Seems a bit steep. I would consider going to an independent garage as it is out of warranty.

Just my thoughts.

^^^^^^^ Exactly this.

There's nothing magical or mystical or Lexus-specific about wheel bearings, brakes or anything like that. These are everyday jobs for thousands of garages up and down the country.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi thanks for your comments and it is true what you both say, if it was a wheel bearing I would take it to an independent no worries. But the electric motor is at the front, by the wheel....... I'm letting Lexus report. 

I have my yearly services done at Lexus Bristol and my Hybrid Health check as well. Which supposedly covers those components, after it is completed, not an expert in this area so happy to see what is diagnosed! Then maybe take it to an independent after for repair if it is a bearing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2ddesign said:

Hi thanks for your comments and it is true what you both say, if it was a wheel bearing I would take it to an independent no worries. But the electric motor is at the front, by the wheel....... I'm letting Lexus report. 

I have my yearly services done at Lexus Bristol and my Hybrid Health check as well. Which supposedly covers those components, after it is completed, not an expert in this area so happy to see what is diagnosed! Then maybe take it to an independent after for repair if it is a bearing.

Let us know what they find please.

Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds like pad/disc/shield, caliper maybe, stone stuck in there  .......... whatever hopefully .....  an indy is the place to be ..... a quick look to tell you if it's anything more serious than a simple re-adjustment and £25 /50 from a garage near you that really really wants the work ...... on an 11 year old car

£140, taking the inspection pee tbh ( + vat ? ) and then to do some work maybe

Might of course be wrong, it might be summat very very serious that only a Lexus technician trained eye can discern ........  but I doubt that really

I remember my bro-in-law used to take his ( now mine ) 56 plate Honda Legend to the Main Dealer / Stealer for all sorts of investigative work at £120 a visit  inspection BEFORE any work was deemed appropriate ....... and done and charged for fully 😲

Best wishes with it all whatever you decide to do

Malc

Link to post
Share on other sites

Find a quiet bit of road. Engage reverse and drive as fast as you can before slamming on the brakes.

If it is anything lodged in the disc it's a good chance that this will remove it

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Lydiamight said:

Find a quiet bit of road. Engage reverse and drive as fast as you can before slamming on the brakes.

If it is anything lodged in the disc it's a good chance that this will remove it

 

That is a good tip for removing small stones and the like which I have used on my BMW where the back plate design leads to stones lodging.  Another way to do this is a blast of compressed air which I have also used.

If this does not work and you neither have the time nor inclination to take the wheel off and investigate further, I suggest you get a reputable garage to do this, and report their findings.  If called for, you could get them to do the job.  If a disc is damaged as well as pads worn, I would get a complete set for both front brakes from Lexus direct.  (Having tried various aftermarket disc/pad combinations, I have found OE most likely to be satisfactory.)  Sometimes you can get an alternative wheel bearing but when needed replacement on my Camry I bought one from Toyota and pressed it in myself but again if needed perhaps something you would want a garage to do for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 3:21 PM, Malc said:

sounds like pad/disc/shield, caliper maybe, stone stuck in there  .......... whatever hopefully .....  an indy is the place to be ..... a quick look to tell you if it's anything more serious than a simple re-adjustment and £25 /50 from a garage near you that really really wants the work ...... on an 11 year old car

£140, taking the inspection pee tbh ( + vat ? ) and then to do some work maybe

Might of course be wrong, it might be summat very very serious that only a Lexus technician trained eye can discern ........  but I doubt that really

I remember my bro-in-law used to take his ( now mine ) 56 plate Honda Legend to the Main Dealer / Stealer for all sorts of investigative work at £120 a visit  inspection BEFORE any work was deemed appropriate ....... and done and charged for fully 😲

Best wishes with it all whatever you decide to do

Malc

Problem solved at an indy garage (cancelled Lexus look and see) Driver's side calliper not retracting and constant pressure on pad causing major damage. Refurbished calliper ordered £150, plus Indy's time plus two new pads and labour £145=£295. Since lockdown I have not driven the RX as much so calliper had rusted on one pot. Thanks for all your advice guys...!

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...




Forums


News


Membership