Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RH400h front drive shaft replace or repair

I have a problem with the OSF drive shaft on my rx400h:  the ABS reluctor ring has split, probably as a result of rust on the drive shaft.  So I'm considring options......

1)  Lexus do not list the reluctor ring as an individual part, but they have offered me a full drive shaft for £814 +vat, or a half shaft for £456 + vat.  That's a bit dear.  

2) I have not found an alternative source of a new drive shaft or half shaft, but I have found a supplier of non-oem rings. 
The options are therefore (a) replace half shaft or drive shaft, or (b) repair old half shaft by fitting a new ring.  

I have some experience of this from 3 years ago when the same problem arose on the NSF drive shaft.  At that time, my mechanic had no time to consider repairing the old half shaft, so we obtained a second hand replacement.  He could not contemplate fitting the ring himself, or waiting a day or two for somebody else to fit it while the car was immobile in his workshop,  hence fitting a replacement.  I now have a different mechanic, but I have not discussed it with him yet. 

I still have the old NSF drive shaft.  If I could repair that one with a new ring and fit it to the OSF, that would be handy, but I believe that the two half shafts and drive shafts are not interchangeable.  Is anybody able to confirm this please?  

Does anybody know of a supplier of non-oem drive shafts or half shafts, or a source of a good second hand unit?  

Is it a lot less labour to replace the whole drive shaft than to just replace the half shaft?  I suppose it would at least avoid draining and replacing the gearbox oil? 

7 minutes ago, Herbie said:

These people are a good company to deal with. If you can't find what you need on the website I'd give them a call as they're very helpful.

https://www.carparts-direct.co.uk/drive-shafts

Thanks Herbie.  

I have just found this cv joint on ebay:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CV-Joint-fits-LEXUS-RX400h-MHU38-3-3-Front-Outer-04-to-08-3MZ-FE-C-V-Driveshaft/333846198605?epid=942154520&hash=item4dbac8b94d:g:dvkAAOSwvddf8lwu

This must be the same thing that Lexus offered me by the name of "half shaft", but it does not say it is for NSF or OSF.  So, I presume it fits both Left and Right, but then it is strange that Lexus told me they were different.   

For reference, I have found this ring:  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-OE-ABS-RELUCTOR-RING-RETAINER-LEXUS-RX330-RX350-RX400h-/224364911075?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338268676&toolid=10044&customid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGb1wkup7YMwEZei3PjfgHMRCtMfc3bVLSr28sHTw5IW8I6bCAQguz0aAnSwEALw_wcB

If I can fit this to my old CV joint that came off the NSF, that might be my cheapest option.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The car is going to my garage tomorrow.  I am taking the new ring that I bought, together with the spare whole drive shaft for the NSF that was removed a couple of years ago.  On my spare drive shaft, I removed the old ring and prepared the CV joint for the new ring.  It did not take much effort with a stiff wire brush and some light filing.  

I will let the garage decide the best course of action, from:

1) Fit new ring to old OSF CV joint
2) Fit new ring to old NSF CV joint and then fit this to the OSF drive shaft
3) Fit brand new CV joint to the front OSF

• 2 weeks later...

Final report.

Garage fitted new reluctor ring to the OSF driveshaft and problem is fully solved.  About £20 for new ring, plus £75 labour to fit it, so happy with that.  🙂  

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 4/24/2021 at 1:24 PM, welland said:

Final report.

Garage fitted new reluctor ring to the OSF driveshaft and problem is fully solved.  About £20 for new ring, plus £75 labour to fit it, so happy with that.  🙂  

Can you advise if the garage can find reluctor ring for 2012 RX450H?