Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus CT200h - Cat Theft

Snowhead

Having just bought an '07 RX400h, these stories are scaring the heck out of me!  Just seen this https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9461189/Thieves-pull-broad-daylight-steal-catalytic-converter-car.html for example.

I have to ask how the hell do these thieves actually get paid for these stolen cats?  Surely the easiest way to stop this is to shut down the disposal chain?  I simply don't understand how precious metals are firstly extracted from the cats, then introduced to the legitimate supply chain, having come from dubious sources?  Am I being naive, or a bit thick, or something?  Or are less scrupulous nationalities / governments / law enforcement ethics involved here?

My guess is these low life get about £25 for a stolen cat (which could amount to a pretty good living if it only takes 2 minutes), but costs the victim upwards of £500 a pop!

Think I'm going to straight pipe mine, if it goes missing!

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Watty1 said:

Having just bought an '07 RX400h, these stories are scaring the heck out of me!  Just seen this https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9461189/Thieves-pull-broad-daylight-steal-catalytic-converter-car.html for example.

I have to ask how the hell do these thieves actually get paid for these stolen cats?  Surely the easiest way to stop this is to shut down the disposal chain?  I simply don't understand how precious metals are firstly extracted from the cats, then introduced to the legitimate supply chain, having come from dubious sources?  Am I being naive, or a bit thick, or something?  Or are less scrupulous nationalities / governments / law enforcement ethics involved here?

My guess is these low life get about £25 for a stolen cat (which could amount to a pretty good living if it only takes 2 minutes), but costs the victim upwards of £500 a pop!

Think I'm going to straight pipe mine, if it goes missing!

Ian, despite the various regulations theft of copper communications cable still goes on and is somehow disposed of! And wasn't a huge bronze Henry Moore lifted not that long ago? I am reliably told certain elements of society, found all over the country, believe they have a right to your property be that your dog or your cat 🤯

And because they are not in your "swim" it's a culture that defies understanding unlike Fermat's last theorem. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Phil xxkr said:

Ian, despite the various regulations theft of copper communications cable still goes on and is somehow disposed of! And wasn't a huge bronze Henry Moore lifted not that long ago? I am reliably told certain elements of society, found all over the country, believe they have a right to your property be that your dog or your cat 🤯

And because they are not in your "swim" it's a culture that defies understanding unlike Fermat's last theorem. 

I'm sure you're right, but a 'few grams of platinum' is hardly the sort of thing some dodgy character buys off you in the pub, is it?

15,000 catalysts stolen is pretty serious though (and nearly double the previous year) - I note face masks are making ID almost impossible from CCTV footage, so I guess it's open season now 🙄

1 hour ago, Watty1 said:

I'm sure you're right, but a 'few grams of platinum' is hardly the sort of thing some dodgy character buys off you in the pub, is it?

15,000 catalysts stolen is pretty serious though (and nearly double the previous year) - I note face masks are making ID almost impossible from CCTV footage, so I guess it's open season now 🙄

The numbers Ian are staggering, £770 million for cable theft. 45,000 houses in Wakefield left with no power after cable theft. Cars contain, Platinum, Palladium Rhodium and can be worth hundreds of pounds. And with increasing demand worldwide for precious metals not sure how to resolve this in the short term. 

It's a very sad reflection of society. And as it would be seen as non serious/petty and combined with a depleted police force, plus insurance companies using any excuse to hike premiums, nothing will be done until we all drive PEVs. And even then there will be a new target for something else of demand to steal and sell on. Sad world really. 

On 4/11/2021 at 10:24 PM, Gsf grey solihull said:

Wow not much extra for professionally installed,picked up from and returned back home,car washed and cleaned from inside as well as doing a detailed health check of car great value for a lot of convenience 😊😊

Yeh its definitely good value for money but absolutely no differnece between a "professional" install at Lexus and an install at home as its an extremely simple job. I've just had a 4yr service and hybrid health check too so it's all been checked over already and I don't let them wash it so ive saved £45. 

1 hour ago, MadJam250 said:

It's a very sad reflection of society. And as it would be seen as non serious/petty and combined with a depleted police force, plus insurance companies using any excuse to hike premiums, nothing will be done until we all drive PEVs. And even then there will be a new target for something else of demand to steal and sell on. Sad world really. 

Martin, it's true to say police numbers in absolute terms have fallen from a peak in 2009 but its also true to say numbers are increasing. What is also really hard to find is the the number of civilian staff employed, I suspect its a substantial number. Ultimately one could get quite cynical about possessions since it appears thieves abound for your tangible assets and government for anything else you may have. But if you have neither, as Del Boy might say, the world is your (entitlement) lobster

For horn sabotage defence/deterrent. Stainless steel grille fitted to IS300h, imagine similar possible on a CT200h. Reciprocating saw teeth get stuck in mesh, as that tool only cuts smooth rounded surfaces i.e. pipes.There are bolted fixing points on the rad bulkhead and on top of the front bumper reinforcement bar that can be used so it is nice and secure, especially if you replace OEM bolts with security ones👏 Not all details in shot because no doubt these low life’s monitoring the forums for workarounds. Overkill for IS as cat is located inside the engine bay as part of manifold fitting, but did for the fun of it should some half-wit have a try at any point.

FF5CF9B6-72A7-4CDF-B612-111C1D850950.jpeg

8F0B0839-BD70-4E34-BAB2-650EB4384B4E.jpeg

On 3/30/2021 at 9:56 PM, Snowhead said:

other than mount searchlights, machine guns to shoot said miscreants!

That would be good idea, except in UK you are not allowed to defend yourself. Thief can do whatever they like, sentences are joke, police are not even interested to investigate, they actually won't investigate car theft, theft from cars of any damage related even remotely to the car which is insured.  Basically, police have now politely stopped policing that entire type of crime - if it is insured then police will no longer investigate, even if it is not insured but could be insured, they won't investigate either.

So really the only option left is to include theft of cats and associated costs as part of car ownership nowadays, because you (we) are legally not allowed to do anything about it and police won't help. Surely, they would punish you in case you break said miscreant neck, or if you are yourself and shoot one of the animals - you see that is not car related theft and as such it is not allowed. But anything car related... basically you can just help yourself.

As for cat guard - I am not sure it is worth it, I heard of several stories where such scum deliberately destroys the car if they cannot extract the cat... sure if you drive the car for £2000 and catalytic converted with fitment is quarter of it's value, then it is different story. But if you car is £20,000 then fitting protector will save your £500 cat, but may cost you £20,000 once every single window and light on your car is smashed and every panel is dented and scratched with said "wooded sticks" - the message is "don't you dare to protect yourself".

If it sounds like I am just barking here without any valuable advise... that is true - I don't think there is actually any option, this is the conditions in the country in which we living.

9 hours ago, Maxz said:

Overkill for IS as cat is located inside the engine bay as part of manifold fitting, but did for the fun of it should some half-wit have a try at any point.

Not the secondary cat which is what is stolen.

9 hours ago, Linas.P said:

That would be good idea, except in UK you are not allowed to defend yourself. Thief can do whatever they like, sentences are joke, police are not even interested to investigate, they actually won't investigate car theft, theft from cars of any damage related even remotely to the car which is insured.  Basically, police have now politely stopped policing that entire type of crime - if it is insured then police will no longer investigate, even if it is not insured but could be insured, they won't investigate either.

So really the only option left is to include theft of cats and associated costs as part of car ownership nowadays, because you (we) are legally not allowed to do anything about it and police won't help. Surely, they would punish you in case you break said miscreant neck, or if you are yourself and shoot one of the animals - you see that is not car related theft and as such it is not allowed. But anything car related... basically you can just help yourself.

As for cat guard - I am not sure it is worth it, I heard of several stories where such scum deliberately destroys the car if they cannot extract the cat... sure if you drive the car for £2000 and catalytic converted with fitment is quarter of it's value, then it is different story. But if you car is £20,000 then fitting protector will save your £500 cat, but may cost you £20,000 once every single window and light on your car is smashed and every panel is dented and scratched with said "wooded sticks" - the message is "don't you dare to protect yourself".

If it sounds like I am just barking here without any valuable advise... that is true - I don't think there is actually any option, this is the conditions in the country in which we living.

Hi Linas. It is possible those are just stories, as attacking a vehicle would draw attention + police, these guys want in and out as quick as possible. Another piece of information, when it is safe to do so, not engaging the handbrake when parking on flat surfaces only can compromise the stability of a trolley jack, as there is always some movement in the parking pawl, especially in some CVT’s. However, always engage the handbrake if on any incline as it is not good to put the transmission under stress normally.

2 hours ago, Maxz said:

Hi Linas. It is possible those are just stories, as attacking a vehicle would draw attention + police, these guys want in and out as quick as possible. Another piece of information, when it is safe to do so, not engaging the handbrake when parking on flat surfaces only can compromise the stability of a trolley jack, as there is always some movement in the parking pawl, especially in some CVT’s. However, always engage the handbrake if on any incline as it is not good to put the transmission under stress normally.

As if lifting the car in the middle of the bright day, cutting out catalyst converter whilst siren is sounding and walking around with baseball bats does not attract attention.

It is not attention what is they are afraid off, actually they seek to assert dominance despite being skittish, by looking all intimidating. What the focusing on is speed - if they could remove cat and be gone in less than 2 mins, that is great, but to be honest they probably are more afraid local people to organise into small group rather than police - police won't come even next day, never mind within few hours. 

And if you don't think 3 guys with baseball bats could smash the car into the bits in 30s then you are mistaken.

1 hour ago, Andrew888 said:

Signed it, but it won't change anything overall police practice has changed, they are now only acting as private political correctness army and may send you ticked from the camera... that is about everything they do nowadays. Solving crimes costs money and they not looking to spend any unless it becomes political issue i.e. when there is some famous issue which is in public mind then they solve it within day.

Catalytic converters although annoying, they are not national problem... and because motorists are generally vilified and considered "bad" there is no public support behind it - it is like "you are motorists, you have no right to complain, because you are the problem" (that is attitude towards motorists in UK).

Just signed the petition.

For the piece of mind the £295 I paid at Lexus Birmingham for the Catloc was money well spent. Also I'd recommend a DNA kit for marking car parts. SelectaDNA is endorsed by all the police forces here in the UK. 

The next thing I'm thinking of doing to the CT is looking into anti theft number plates. Just to be extra secure... any ideas / recommendations guys? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 3:26 PM, Sled Driver said:

Just signed the petition.

For the piece of mind the £295 I paid at Lexus Birmingham for the Catloc was money well spent. Also I'd recommend a DNA kit for marking car parts. SelectaDNA is endorsed by all the police forces here in the UK. 

The next thing I'm thinking of doing to the CT is looking into anti theft number plates. Just to be extra secure... any ideas / recommendations guys? 

May I ask why you have incurred a cost of £295 when Lexus fixed price for catloc is £250 sorry but puzzling 

16 hours ago, Gsf grey solihull said:

May I ask why you have incurred a cost of £295 when Lexus fixed price for catloc is £250 sorry but puzzling 

To be honest Shafiq I didn't know there was a fix price offered by Lexus at £250!

I rung Lexus Birmingham (run by Steven Eagell Group) to book it in. On the 18th Feb had it fitted. They quoted £295 on the phone. Molly at the Service Desk dealt with it. Looking at my receipt: Labour £71.66, Catloc £174.17, VAT@ 20% £49.17 in total made up the £295.

Any ideas when the fixed pricing came into affect mate cheers?! 👍🏾

1 hour ago, Sled Driver said:

To be honest Shafiq I didn't know there was a fix price offered by Lexus at £250!

I rung Lexus Birmingham (run by Steven Eagell Group) to book it in. On the 18th Feb had it fitted. They quoted £295 on the phone. Molly at the Service Desk dealt with it. Looking at my receipt: Labour £71.66, Catloc £174.17, VAT@ 20% £49.17 in total made up the £295.

Any ideas when the fixed pricing came into affect mate cheers?! 👍🏾

Hi kish,I have feeling that the fixed price set by Lexus uk came in to effect after the fitting of your catloc date.  Guys please correct me??