Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Double beeps 4RX

I know this has come up before because I've speculated on a possible answer myself but I can't find the thread now.

I can be driving happily along and all at once there's a 'double beep' sound for no apparent reason. I thought it may be an audible speed camera warning but that certainly didn't seem to be the case today, at least not in any meaningful way. The sound did appear to correlate with speed cameras sometimes but (a) not all the time and (b) sometimes the camera may be 10m away, sometimes 500m away, sometimes some random distance away; no consistency at all.

So, did anyone ever come up with a definite reason for these double beeps? It was happening quite a lot today and it's as annoying as hell.

1 minute ago, NemesisUK said:

I've always heard the double beep when approaching static speed cameras. 

How up to date is your sat nav mapping? 

Aha! No idea to be honest Peter, I've not got that far yet 🙂  The car was first registered 29/06/18 so it may not have been updated since then so I'll look into it. Thanks for that.

• Like 1

The one we have is making these wake-up calls whenever driving faster than permitted, whenever some car is crossing into our lane in front of us (even when distance is not really short), when nearing a radar control and sometimes without any reason that is obvious.

Suppose it is something that can be programmed but have not found out how. Manual is not really helpful.

Maybe turn ignition on without pressing brake pedal and then blink left (or right) or press one of the many buttons the cars are full of while releasing parking brake and doing other complete un-logical things. image.png.125ff19e41e3f465f85391eb36162980.png

Or just accept the sounds as part of the entertainment in our cars.

• Like 1

If it's a fairly subdued and fairly quiet beep-beep then on ours that's for a fixed speed camera listed on the sat mapping. Wish it did  a MASSIVE BEEP for a radar gun !! 

As Las Palmas said you'll get a louder beep  and a BRAKE sign come up if the car thinks you're not hitting the brake hard enough and there's a car in front of you. Also when a car swerves right in front of you to exit a road at the very last minute.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Herbie said:

sometimes the camera may be 10m away, sometimes 500m away, sometimes some random distance away; no consistency at all.

I think the normal warning is around 500m. But the system only alerts you if you are on the road that contains the camera. Therefore if you turn onto a road that contains a camera closer than 500m you get the alert instantly but you could be almost at the location.

• Like 2

Not the double beeps you were referring to, Herbie but still on the subject of beeping.

A few weeks ago on our Gen4 RX when I pressed the start button instead of the usual "Beeep" for the ready state I kept getting a "Beeep-bip" before the ready state.  Then a week or so later the car failed to start - flat Battery.  RAC (courtesy of the warranty) attended and started the car and I gave it a good run followed by an overnight charge and all is well again. Back to the original "Beeep" when starting.

The car had been used 2 or 3 times a week but only for short runs because of this damned virus. 

This could be an early warning indicator that the 12V Battery is getting low.

JBP

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links