Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220d cranks but won't start

Yaser

Hey everyone, 

I hope someone can help me with my is220d. The car cranks but won't start without spray and turn off after one minute I took the car to lexus dealership and they said I had to change the diesel pump so I changed it but still nothing I searched for a leak or Electrical fault but all is good and no lights are on I even changed one injector just to make sure I am tired from this car I lost 2000 Euro and still not able to start maybe someone having a similar problem or any ideas can help me. 

Thanks 

On 3/31/2021 at 6:14 AM, Yaser said:

Hey everyone, 

I hope someone can help me with my is220d. The car cranks but won't start without spray and turn off after one minute I took the car to lexus dealership and they said I had to change the diesel pump so I changed it but still nothing I searched for a leak or Electrical fault but all is good and no lights are on I even changed one injector just to make sure I am tired from this car I lost 2000 Euro and still not able to start maybe someone having a similar problem or any ideas can help me. 

Thanks 

Hi Yaser,

Do you have a copy of TechStream?  If not, you should be able to get a copy from eBay and it will allow you to see if there are any fault codes that would help you determine where the fault is.

On 4/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, Shahpor said:

Hi Yaser,

Do you have a copy of TechStream?  If not, you should be able to get a copy from Ebay and it will allow you to see if there are any fault codes that would help you determine where the fault is.

Hallo Shahpor, 

Thanks for answering but there is no codes that's the problem. 

This is a compression ignition engine. If the compression is low or the starter turns the engine slowly, it will not start.

Check the compression of all cylinders.

Make sure the Battery is good and can provide a high cranking ampere rating. Measure the Battery voltage while cranking. Some cars have a high revolution starter as an upgrade.

If you have pre chamber heaters, ( glow plugs ), one for each cylinder, check them for continuity and that only their tip glows and not the whole part within the pre chamber. 

Check the fuel pressure to the injectors and their spray pattern.  Check that the injectors do spray fuel while cranking, if not you may have an electrical fault.

Last, check the engine timing and the engine Top Dead Centre sensor, although you should have got some codes relating to it.

Chris.

• Like 1

Hallo Chris, 

Today I changed the 4 glow plugs but before I changed it I found diesel at the oil room. 

Do you have any idea what that's meaning? 

It is fuel oil from blow by through the piston rings. Some blow by is expected because the diesel engine operates at a much higher compression ratio than the petrol engine. The engine has not fired yet so it is unburned fuel sprayed by the injectors. If the injectors spray fuel in big drops and not in a fine mist  because they need cleaning or maintenance and in some cases replacement, this causes failure to start. In some cases the engine starts but with rich fuel and the blow by through the piston rings will make the engine oil level rise after a few thousand miles and before the oil change.

Check that you have 12v supply on the glow plugs just after you switch on and before the heating of the glow plugs lamp in the instrument cluster goes out. If not, check the glow plugs relay for malfunction. This will cause the engine not starting.

Chris.

Good morning to you too. 

I hope you will be able to repair the fault and get the car running again. Always my pleasure to learn and reduce the level of my lack of knowledge through any case study.

Chris.

• Like 1