Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lockdown maintenance project.

Did my routine service maintenance the other week which included the replacement of the front brake pads, the old pads although only half worn produced so much dust and groaned when applied at low speed like when gently edging up to the garage end wall.

I noticed that the flexible brake hoses were finally showing signs of cracking ( Advisory once during an MOT back in 2006 along with “Front Discs Scored” which are still on the car and neither mentioned since).

I have purchased a set of BF Goodridge stainless steel replacements for just under £100.00 rather than OEM Lexus or Rockauto offerings. They are custom made and have a “Lifetime Warranty”

The description did say the kit includes “all bolts and washers” but there are no bolts in the box, I assume these should be the banjo to calliper bolts so I have messaged the vendor.

Unfortunately I need to cut the grass today so hope the present weather holds out for another spell of DIY.

474290B5-E05A-4134-B379-727FB5D3AFED.jpeg

• Like 2

Had a rather satisfying day myself. New pads and discs on the front of the Saab plus and Abbott Racing sub-frame brace which will hopefully firm things up a bit.

Took it for a quick run, I'm still alive and nothing fell off so hopefully I've done everything correctly.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, steve2006 said:

The description did say the kit includes “all bolts and washers” but there are no bolts in the box, I assume these should be the banjo to calliper bolts so I have messaged the vendor.

I would imagine you may need to use the existing banjo bolts with the new copper washers provided, that's what I would normally expect to do but the picture on the Goodridge website for 'BRAKE HOSE KIT FOR LEXUS LS400 ALL VARIANTS 08/1992-09/1994
PRODUCT CODE: SLX0401-4P-BK' shows the banjo bolts as well as the washers. Assuming that is the same kit you purchased.

Black

• Like 1

Cheers Paul, I was pretty sure I had seen that picture somewhere showing the bolts ( but only 6 copper washers).

The place I bought the kit from now say that the bolts don’t always get supplied but they are happy to send me 4 FOC, just hope they are stainless steel.

I also ordered a replacement 10mm brake pipe spanner from an eBay seller but received instead a 1/4” socket! but to be fair they were very apologetic and now sending the correct spanner.

Oh well after 26 years service I don’t think another few days will be an issue and it gives me time to decide where all those BF Goodridge stickers can go.........not.

No problem Steve, I suspect the picture is a generic one and maybe some sets have the bolts included and some don't.

Have you replaced brake hoses before? If you have then I'll be telling you how to suck eggs with the next bit, but if not then it may help you.

Disconnecting brake hoses from the calliper isn't normally a problem but disconnecting the union at the other end which connects to the solid/hard brake lines may be an issue due to rust and corrosion. Wire brush and then plenty of PlusGas (or equivalent) left to soak in and do it's job is my advice. Even then they can be a pig to disconnect, there is normally a metal retaining clip that is rusted to hell and maybe the metal bracket as well. Maybe different on an LS400 but just wanted to mention that, I chopped through the flexible hose once thinking it would be easy to disconnect at the brake pipe end and I was totally wrong..............I couldn't then put everything back together and had to continue struggling. I didn't make that mistake again😉

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Razor61 said:

disconnecting the union at the other end which connects to the solid/hard brake lines may be an issue due to rust and corrosion

Almost guaranteed, if my experience is anything to go by. Perhaps factor in having to change the rear pipes as well, which I can tell you can, and do, rust unseen beneath the clips.

One thing leads to another.......

Cheers guys.

Decided yesterday to make a start on the near side rear having already dosed the unions several days before with WD40 following the above posts advice.

No flare nut damage and using the correct special 11mm brake spanner the nut released yay! Unfortunately the nut was seized to the pipe which began to twist (copper too) so after cleaning it and more WD40 and still not moving over the pipe I tightened it back up fully and abandoned it.

Being a Bank Holiday and not in procession of brake pipe, flare nuts and tooling required I didn’t fancy breaking the pipe plus I have never made a flare/ double flare? before so wouldn’t take a chance especially on such a critical system.

The MOT is due in October so I will get my local garage to fit them for me then, if they break a pipe they have the parts, tools and expertise to hand.

One thing I have noticed is the replacement BF Goodridge hoses don’t have the little arm on the calliper union which locks into a hole on the calliper preventing it from turning as shown below, given the price and “custom made” claims a little disappointing. I did however receive replacement banjo bolts FOC.

4C820363-A6C1-42FE-A7B3-5C3FF2EB5DEE.jpeg

Hello Guys.

I just wanted to point out that the brake components are from Goodridge, not BF Goodridge. 

I think the OP is confusing BF Goodrich, a tyre manufacturing company, with Goodridge.

I thought I would post to save any confusion if anyone was trying to order parts and not finding what they wanted from the manufacturer they were looking at.

I hope the OP doesn't take offense at this post.

Steve.