Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Modify is 250 air filter box like f type

Johnlex

Sorry I've got to laugh. When I had a 1.6 litre Ford focus diesel I thought at the time I'd buy the K&N induction kit. Basically a tuned airbox with a performance air filter. With that box was a square piece about 2-3" which could be removed. Why do I have to laugh? Basically it was a waste of money. Absolutely no difference in performance and the induction noise was ruddy awful. 

Those 2 videos are with the is350. That cars induction noise will be much more than the 250. 

But with the car being a V6 I think I'll see how much a standard airbox is and if cheap enough I might have a go for a laugh. 

@Mr Vlad yes I done the same to my 1.4 Sri Vauxhall corse 20 years ago and made no difference.

this option is just cut a square hole

in the original one filter box ??

very quick ???

another  second hand one would cost £20 but a f sport kit £350 

£20 for a 2nd hand airbox!! Might as well get one and cut a hole in that and see if you like the sound. Maybe get rid of the internal fins to smooth airflow and see if that makes any difference. 

IS250 won't sound like IS350... that is for sure. As for F-sport intake - I had both F-sport and non F-Sport cars and when it comes to power and response there is absolutely no difference, as well I had K&N "Performance" filter in both F-Sport and non-F-Sport IS250 and that made even less difference. 

F-sport has a little tube which transfers some of intake noise into cabin and it is nice, but really minor difference. I would not bother drilling and doing all that for the tiny difference it makes for how intake note sounds in the cabin. Obviously, none of these makes any performance difference.

So yes... in summary, my opinion is that it is not worth it. In the end of the day it goes opposite from what the car meant to be - Lexus made it extra well insulated and you caring around probably 200kg of sound deadening... and then you cut hole into that deadening to hear some of the sound... 

I'd have to disagree regarding 200kg of sound deadening in the is250. Yes the car is well dampened But to my amazement when I 1st took off the drivers door panel that the door skin was absolutely tinny. I cured that with a sheet of dynamat. Did it on all 4 doors. My car now sounds like a luxury car when I shut the doors. 

Now that's just the doors missing sound deadening (OK there is a very small piece of cheap sound deadening in the door panel but it's as good as useless) so it begs the question where else is sound deadening skrimpt on? ( sorry I can't spell skrimpt)

I have no idea I drive the bus 250 convertible and it’s also very tiny almost as if the doors are filled with filler 😂 maybe they are but yes there is no deadness sound. I was tempted to do that abs sound proof the doors when I replaced the door handles and realised there’s nothing. Also probably why the sound system sounds so poor also. Pioneer I think as I don’t have the mark Levi’son well i

could have but the stereo

Doesn’t have his name stamped on it