Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cabin fuse box - empty slots for dashcam

Just curious with regard to the empty slots in the fuse box, I guess they are all usable?

Want to hardwire my Nextbase 522GW, does anyone happen to know a position that is sufficient for this, need a position which turns on and off witht he car ignition.

Thanks

21 minutes ago, baviaannl said:

Just curious with regard to the empty slots in the fuse box, I guess they are all usable?

What you see as empty slots are the top of the fuseholders. The wiring to the fuseholder is behind that so you would have to get the fuse box out to see which wires and where they go, to be of any use.

Far better to use a piggyback fuse and just use the cig lighter as Keith says above.

18 minutes ago, baviaannl said:

...need a position which turns on and off witht he car ignition.

Just wondered...why?

Wired like that the camera is no longer able to protect the car once you’ve left it.

You can get a power supply regulator that connects to a live supply and will keep the camera active and able to respond to knocks, hits and attempts to break in.  These regulators can be set so that should the Battery voltage drop below a preset level, they disconnect the camera, so there’s no risk of the camera draining the Battery.

Having had dashcams for years, I can testify to the usefulness of one that can continue to operate with the ignition off - in car parks, for example.

I think cameras such as Nextbase may have a backup Battery that will give a few minutes supply when the car is parked.  But that’s not the same as having the greater capacity of the car’s Battery to call on.

12 minutes ago, LenT said:

Just wondered...why?

Wired like that the camera is no longer able to protect the car once you’ve left it.

You can get a power supply regulator that connects to a live supply and will keep the camera active and able to respond to knocks, hits and attempts to break in.  These regulators can be set so that should the battery voltage drop below a preset level, they disconnect the camera, so there’s no risk of the camera draining the battery.

Having had dashcams for years, I can testify to the usefulness of one that can continue to operate with the ignition off - in car parks, for example.

I think cameras such as Nextbase may have a backup battery that will give a few minutes supply when the car is parked.  But that’s not the same as having the greater capacity of the car’s battery to call on.

Is there a regulator you would recommend?

20 minutes ago, Herbie said:

What you see as empty slots are the top of the fuseholders. The wiring to the fuseholder is behind that so you would have to get the fuse box out to see which wires and where they go, to be of any use.

Far better to use a piggyback fuse and just use the cig lighter as Keith says above.

Cig lighter would be ideal although the previous owner broke a fuse in the slot leaving only the pins connected, impossiible to remove and I'm not paying an auto electrician £85 for the first hour to remedy.  Might have to source a voltmeter to see what the empty slots are doing.

Hi Lee. I've got the 322GW. When I got mine I got the hardwire kit. Did you get the hardwire kit? If not then get one. Make sure its genuine Nextbase. 

Dead easy to install. Oh LenT the nextbase has an internal Battery

The fuse I used is in the passenger side fuse box fuse number 12. As you look at the fuse box you'll see 3 rows. Looking fron the front of the car to the rear it's the middle row 3rd space (empty spaces and ones with fuses inclusive) 3rd fuse up.

One thing to note. Make sure you've got a 10 amp micro fuse as used in the fuse box (they're not normal size)

As I've stated Make sure you get the genuine Nextbase hardwire kit for your 522GW

Oh I got mine from eBay it was direct from Nextbase but reconditioned. Works a treat. And as for the memory card get a similar spec one from eBay. Half the price for the same card.

2 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Lee. I've got the 322GW. When I got mine I got the hardwire kit. Did you get the hardwire kit? If not then get one. Make sure its genuine Nextbase. 

Dead easy to install. Oh LenT the nextbase has an internal battery. 

The fuse I used is in the passenger side fuse box fuse number 12. As you look at the fuse box you'll see 3 rows. Looking fron the front of the car to the rear it's the middle row 3rd space (empty spaces and ones with fuses inclusive) 3rd fuse up.

One thing to note. Make sure you've got a 10 amp micro fuse as used in the fuse box (they're not normal size)

As I've stated Make sure you get the genuine Nextbase hardwire kit for your 522GW

Hi Vlad

I have got the genuine Nextbase hard wire kit coming tomorrow.... I had no idea that there was a passenger side fuse box, great information, I'll have a look later.

40 minutes ago, baviaannl said:

Is there a regulator you would recommend?

I see that’s already been well answered by Vladimir and already acted upon by yourself.

Do let us know how you get on.

Just be careful of using the Nextbase hardwire kit. A fellow member is having a bit of a nightmare with it as you'll see in the thread below.

Personally I'd go for the Viofo kit where the voltage threshold is selectable. It uses a miniUSB so it'll fit a Nextbase cam.

Just read that thread Herbie. It doesn't state he's using a genuine nextbase hardwire kit just that he's hardwired it. I first bought a copy kit but it was rubbish so sent it back and got genuine. No issues what so ever. His being the 300h shouldn't be a problem.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Just read that thread Herbie. It doesn't state he's using a genuine nextbase hardwire kit just that he's hardwired it. I first bought a copy kit but it was rubbish so sent it back and got genuine. No issues what so ever. His being the 300h shouldn't be a problem.

That doesn't look like the official set he has, as you say, could be a poorly manufactured copy.

12 hours ago, baviaannl said:

That doesn't look like the official set he has, as you say, could be a poorly manufactured copy.

Hey guys , as stated that pic isn't my kit , I have the official nextbase hardwire kit . It certainly is a strange problem . Here is a link I found from a couple of years ago from a guy having similar problems .

21 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

That's a kit Herbie got I think. Don't know what kit the is300h guy has got. Waiting for a reply. 

Hey Vlad... How on earth did you manage to access that passenger side fuse box?  I'm 6'6 tall and couldn't find a way to do any work in that small section!  Any tricks??

Hi Lee. Yes it's a squeeze. I'm 5'8" so for you I suggest get the passenger seat as far back as it'll go then basically with knees on the ground twist yourself so you can see the fusebox. It'll end up being a one handed operation. I placed a torch in the footwell then using my right hand I pulled the fuse out with thin pliers. Make sure you put the supplied fuse from nextbase in the correct space. I did it wrong the 1st time and blew it as it's only a 2 amp fuse.

To thread the wire from the camera tuck it under the headlining and along until the A pillar, tuck under the trim until the dash. Where the door opening is you can see a piece of trim kind of triangular in shape. Remove that using a plastic spatular. Feed the wire through the big hole you now see to the fuse box. The hardwire kit wire is really long. I ended up curling it up and taping it together. You can hide a lot of the wire under the headlining. All the best pal. You can do it.

37 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Hi Lee. Yes it's a squeeze. I'm 5'8" so for you I suggest get the passenger seat as far back as it'll go then basically with knees on the ground twist yourself so you can see the fusebox. It'll end up being a one handed operation. I placed a torch in the footwell then using my right hand I pulled the fuse out with thin pliers. Make sure you put the supplied fuse from nextbase in the correct space. I did it wrong the 1st time and blew it as it's only a 2 amp fuse.

To thread the wire from the camera tuck it under the headlining and along until the A pillar, tuck under the trim until the dash. Where the door opening is you can see a piece of trim kind of triangular in shape. Remove that using a plastic spatular. Feed the wire through the big hole you now see to the fuse box. The hardwire kit wire is really long. I ended up curling it up and taping it together. You can hide a lot of the wire under the headlining. All the best pal. You can do it.

Thanks again for the info, had a look and it is doable!  I wonder if our fuse layout is different?  In the position you mention, I have a 7.5 panel fuse?

20210402_191153.jpg

12 minutes ago, baviaannl said:

Didn't it worry you connecting up to something major like the ECU?

Why would it? The cameras take very little current and everything is fused anyway, so no problem.