Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressure Symbol

Hello to One and all

My new Lexus NX tyres are 

255/60R/18/H 

On the drivers door jab is the tyre pressure chart 

Not sure what this symbol is ------>    ~   <--------

I am I correct to think the correct tyre pressure normal driving just with just myself in the car (99% of the time)

is 2.2 Bar 

Thank you 

EB5E2753-9FEC-4350-BA08-E145031EDF47.thumb.jpeg.9163520f869eedf68ba2c0efc6f986c3.jpeg

The correct pressure for normal use is 2.2 bar. The ~ symbol indicates over 160 km/hr (100 mph) and, confusingly, up to 100 mph. I don't think that continuous speeds over a ton are practical in the UK especially in the NX. 😄

(I also have an LC500...) 🙂

The ~ (tilde ) symbol means approximately. Used before a value 'x' it means below approximately 'x', used after a value 'x' it means above approximately 'x'

I would read that chart as meaning speeds of greater than approximately 160kph use 270kPa and speeds less than approximately 160kph use 220kPa 

• Thanks 1

I’d be impressed if people were regularly driving at speeds above 160 km/hr.

Even on de-restricted autobahns I’m not sure I’d want to be doing more than this in an NX. Might take a while to get there too! 🤣

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

I’d be impressed if people were regularly driving at speeds above 160 km/hr.

Even on de-restricted autobahns I’m not sure I’d want to be doing more than this in an NX. Might take a while to get there too! 🤣

Don’t worry, we do 😊🇩🇪
Fun aside, when they delivered my NX the pressure was on 2,9/2,9 which I found quite uncomfortable. So I set the pressure to 2,7/2,7 and keep it like this ever since.

10 minutes ago, stephschad said:

Don’t worry, we do 😊🇩🇪
Fun aside, when they delivered my NX the pressure was on 2,9/2,9 which I found quite uncomfortable. So I set the pressure to 2,7/2,7 and keep it like this ever since.

I think the pressure for over 160 km/hr is for those regularly doing over this speed. The higher pressures would provide increased structural integrity of the tyre at those higher speeds and as a result higher temperatures. How does your NX feel at lower speeds and in cooler temperatures at 2.7 bar?  I know from adding pressure to my tyres when for example travelling on holiday with a fully loaded car that I always have to take the pressure out once the car is no longer fully loaded because the ride just feels too harsh and there is less grip from an over inflated tyre in lightly loaded conditions. That said, I’m sure I’d have higher pressures if regularly hitting those kinds of speeds.

2 hours ago, paulrnx said:

I think the pressure for over 160 km/hr is for those regularly doing over this speed. The higher pressures would provide increased structural integrity of the tyre at those higher speeds and as a result higher temperatures. How does your NX feel at lower speeds and in cooler temperatures at 2.7 bar?  I know from adding pressure to my tyres when for example travelling on holiday with a fully loaded car that I always have to take the pressure out once the car is no longer fully loaded because the ride just feels too harsh and there is less grip from an over inflated tyre in lightly loaded conditions. That said, I’m sure I’d have higher pressures if regularly hitting those kinds of speeds.

I keep the pressure on 2,7/2,7 the whole year and that feels always comfortable enough for me.

For tires I use Michelin CrossClimate SUV since my NX‘s first winter 2017/2018 which in my perspective are great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stephschad said:

I keep the pressure on 2,7/2,7 the whole year and that feels always comfortable enough for me.

For tires I use Michelin CrossClimate SUV since my NX‘s first winter 2017/2018 which in my perspective are great.

That’s interesting. CrossClimates would feel softer and more squidgy on the road in warmer temperatures due to the different softer rubber compound. Having them at 2.7 bar might well remove some of this feeling and make them feel like more like a normal tyre perhaps. What kind of wear rate do you see and do you see any higher wear around the centre of the tyre compared to the outer  edges?

1 hour ago, paulrnx said:

That’s interesting. CrossClimates would feel softer and more squidgy on the road in warmer temperatures due to the different softer rubber compound. Having them at 2.7 bar might well remove some of this feeling and make them feel like more like a normal tyre perhaps. What kind of wear rate do you see and do you see any higher wear around the centre of the tyre compared to the outer  edges?

Tires wearing off evenly as they should.

What I didn’t do from 2017 to 2020 was to change the front to the back and the other way around.

The result was 3,5mm in the front and 5,5mm at the back after 60.000 km. So I replaced the 3,5 ones and now I change the position with every scheduled check.

• Thanks 1

On 4/1/2021 at 6:32 PM, NemesisUK said:

The ~ (tilde ) symbol means approximately. Used before a value 'x' it means below approximately 'x', used after a value 'x' it means above approximately 'x'

I would read that chart as meaning speeds of greater than approximately 160kph use 270kPa and speeds less than approximately 160kph use 220kPa 

This is specifically relevant to Germany where some of the motorways are unrestricted.