Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Maybe upgrading to a RX450h your views please

Hi everyone

I am thinking  upgrading my RX400h (2007) to a 450. If I do the 400 will appear in the For Sale in the next few days, 

In the meantime can those who have a 450 , may have taken the same upgrade route please give me their opinion on what I can expect from the 450 (probably 2010/2011) compared to the  400. What mpg do you typically get. It would be used mainly for short journeys under 10 miles with occasional longer 200-300 roundtrips.

Your comments will be most welcome.

Thanks

Dave

I have a 2017 RX450h and I average 36mpg, but my days of racing around are long past and these days I enjoy driving smoothly. These days I find it strange that I often catch up with cars that scream past me at the next set of lights! If you do purchase a new car, I hope it goes well.

7 hours ago, RikC said:

I have a 2017 RX450h and I average 36mpg, but my days of racing around are long past and these days I enjoy driving smoothly. These days I find it strange that I often catch up with cars that scream past me at the next set of lights! If you do purchase a new car, I hope it goes well.

But that is a 4th Gen car which is slightly more economical but OP is looking for an earlier Gen.  My 3rd Gen returns similar figures to those Radu posted.

The RX450h is more refined in some areas than the RX400.  Worth trying several models if possible.  Some find the sports rather to stiffly sprung whereas some prefer it.  Premier versions have air suspensions which can become expensive to repair/replace in time.  Some models come with a Pan roof instead of the smaller moon roof. 

I have recently done exactly that. The gen 3 is a vast improvement in almost all areas but there are some things that is a step back wards. They are little but odd. Simple thing like a dampened glove box, LED rear side lights and brake lights, 12V in the arm rest on the 2010 model. I would go with the 2011 if you can as the 12V is added to the lower console. Sun roof added to new models from Advance spec. 

The ride is nicer, the battery/motors have a lot more torque allowing more electric driving. The boot is more spacious as the suspension is moved away and lowered. The ride is quieter with very little cabin noise. Super refined. The sound system is a huge improvement especially with the Mark Levinson. The driving position and surround more comfortable. Full LED headlight on SEL spec. Bigger wheels. DB radio albeit terrible signal strength with exposed antenna. Steering better response, weight and lighter at slower speeds/during parking. 

Infotainment in my personal view is just rubbish, the mouse is better than the newer >2012 version which has resistive feedback. 

Air suspension on SEL spec. 

Fuel tank slightly larger so longer range. Fuel economy only slightly better. On paper it is miles better, perhaps the drive mode on Eco helps which is not available on the RX400h. 

Lexus RX Series III Spec List.pdf

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links