Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

THUNDERBIRDS

Mr Vlad

3 minutes ago, Boosh. said:

Well, just a boy in this company, so 58.  I'll let you decide!

A "boy" indeed Mike, but you are most welcome to join this or any other Thread that interests you.

Where are you Beaming in from Scotty and when are you going to buy your Lexus ?

Good questions!

Maybe soon, maybe not.

I've had an interest in the LS400 since before it launched, and came agonisingly close to buying a 2003 LS430 in 2006.  In 2016, we almost got a secondhand CT200 for my daughter, but my local Toyota dealers' (in Bedfordshire) refusal to service it at all, helped tip the decision in in favour of a Toyota, of which we now have three.

Supercar children's programme? No recollection apart from other peoples' toys of same.  But Michael Edwardes and the rumblings at Speke?  I remember all that very well!  A very long fascination with the British motor industry and where it all went wrong....

1 hour ago, Boosh. said:

Good questions!

Maybe soon, maybe not.

I've had an interest in the LS400 since before it launched, and came agonisingly close to buying a 2003 LS430 in 2006.  In 2016, we almost got a secondhand CT200 for my daughter, but my local Toyota dealers' (in Bedfordshire) refusal to service it at all, helped tip the decision in in favour of a Toyota, of which we now have three.

Supercar children's programme? No recollection apart from other peoples' toys of same.  But Michael Edwardes and the rumblings at Speke?  I remember all that very well!  A very long fascination with the British motor industry and where it all went wrong....

Thanks Mike. 3 Toyota`s speaks volumes. Why do you remember Michael Edwardes and Speke-were you involved in some way?

I don`t think that the British Motor Industry ever went right myself. It was a collection of motor manufacturers, none of which could make or sell enough of their product in the home market and reluctant to pursue overseas markets. Japan, South Korea and West Germany all built their motor industries from top down and followed process in a structured and regimental manner. Our successes were copied and improved by overseas Companies who could produce them better, quicker and cheaper. Just my view.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Why do you remember Michael Edwardes and Speke-were you involved in some way?

No, not involved at all, but I remember quite well the the arrival of Michael Edwardes into his new role (who was this new face?), and how he was expected to turn around the strike-ridden efforts of British Leyland.  At the time it seemed an impossible task.  I also remember the BBC news reporting of when the likely closure of Speke was announced. Outside the factory (who may have just announced a strike in response to the closure), one of three BL workers being asked his opinions of the likely closure of the factory, and the subsequent end of the TR7, looked straight at the camera and said "Oh well, the cars are rubbish anyway".

I wouldn't disagree with your brief summary as to 'what went wrong' at all.  For me it's also of interest when pondered, how these problems were symptoms of the larger political picture, here and abroad, and indeed how motor manufacturers' directions reflect their cultural backgrounds, for better or worse.  And of course, how all these companies were affected by (owner's) family dynasties, wars, class, engineering prowess etc.  Nothing too involved, just interest in the motor industry as being a barometer for a country's fortunes and success. 

And the Japanese!  Always had an interest in motorcycles, especially Yamaha, coincidentally, whose engineering tie-up with Toyota goes back decades. 

Whoops!  I think I  might have taken this thread off-topic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Japan, South Korea and West Germany all built their motor industries from top down and followed process in a structured and regimental manner.

This is completely off-topic from this thread about children's TV programmes but your post prompted me to check on the internet and I was surprised to find that Datsun goes back to 1914. I always thought it was a made-up name for the western market. They took over Nissan in 1934 and dropped the Datsun name around the 1980s.

But what I was going to say was that I had read that after World War II Datsun made cars in collaboration with Austin. But what I'm now surprised to find is that they actually made cars not just based on but actually identical to the Austin models, down to the name on the front. See the picture at this link.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Well I'm still going through my DVD's. Just watched Vault Of Death. Funny? Understatement. Laughed all the way through it. If you can you just have to watch it. Oh well The Mighty Atom next.

8 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Well I'm still going through my DVD's. Just watched Vault Of Death. Funny? Understatement. Laughed all the way through it. If you can you just have to watch it. Oh well The Mighty Atom next.

My favourite is still the very first episode with Fireflash!

I also like the Duchess Assignment

• Like 1

Only found this thread now and yes we had The Series in the Netherlands as well. I dont remember the names but the tension when international rescue came into action.. Surreal at the age i was watching ( black & white tv !!!). Thunderbird one.... Thunderbird two.... great stuff.

Regarding the demise of the British Motor Industry ( still 987k produced  in the UK last year with 3.7 million in Germany, 8,8 milion in the states and twenty five point two million in China!!) it looks like a complicated issue to say the least. Apart from strikes and trade unions maybe product quality and putting the customer first were not the most important topics?

Another interesting thread so Vlad started with the Thunderbirds and now we are on to British car manufacturing. I never realised Michael Edwards surname was spelt Edwardes but remember him well. I think John isn't far of the mark with its demise. Suppose you could say same about shipbuilding. Back on thread yeah watched them all and the cartoons Topcat was a favorite and the roadrunner Beep Beep.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links