Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

THUNDERBIRDS

Mr Vlad

Well I've had this box set quite a few years now. Took the cellophane off it today ( it's getting really boring being on furlough) and decided to start watching it. Boy oh boy how fantastic it is. Love it to bits. Don't care I'm knocking on the door of being 59 but I was born in the best period of time and this superb animated was transmitted when I was a kid. Only 8 more discs to watch. Yippeee. 

20210402_161101.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Yep, I'm 63 and love the original as much as when I was a kid, as well as Fireball XL5, Supercar, Joe90, Captain Scarlet and Stingray  :laughing:

• Like 2

Yeah the original animated series are just superb. Technically brilliant. How they matched animation and real life hands unbeatable. The newest version of Thunderbirds isn't a patch on the original. 

I forgot all about Supercar. Wow. Nice one Herbie 👍

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Yep, I'm 63 and love the original as much as when I was a kid, as well as Fireball XL5, Supercar, Joe90, Captain Scarlet and Stingray  :laughing:

Yes brilliant!

You may be interested in this:-

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMQv_O7i_iXMFBSbtolnpjA/videos

An interesting story how it started, with the original puppets being used.

• Like 3

To be honest I haven't watched the modern remakes of anything, including Batman (Adam West and Burt Ward are the only Batman and Robin for me).

This was another of my favourites:

• Like 2

I was having a conversation like this with my brother and sister this week and I can't believe they don't remember most of the stuff I do, I'm 68 and they're a bit older but don't remember Supercar, Torchy the Battery boy, Twizzle, and Four Feather Falls!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Wow Phil of that list of yours I only know of Supercar. Although I don't remember seeing much of it on TV. 

My wife doesn't remember any of them and she's a year older than me!

18 hours ago, Mr Vlad said:

Technically brilliant. How they matched animation and real life hands unbeatable. The newest version of Thunderbirds isn't a patch on the original. 

I read somewhere that the originals worked out at £250,000 to make each one.  That was serious cash then (mind you still serious cash now).

My kids loved watching the originals back 18 years ago, must dig them out when I have watched all of Mad Men, and Blue Planet and the other DVDs I asked for each year.  

Also need to put some of my Looney Tunes VCR tapes onto PC, as some of them not on newer DVDs, as I assume modern youngsters will be turning into warmongering lunatics from watching the Coyote try and dispatch the Road Runner.  Then when the grand children arrive (a few years yet) I can corrupt them, just like I was when so innocent:taz:

• Like 1

I`ve just found this thread. I remember most but not Twizzle or  Supercar.

Anyone know;

the origin of the christian names of the 4 sons of Jeff?

the names of the actors voices in FFF?

No googling now !

Happy Easter Lexonians.

Haha John you took your time lol. No I can't remember the origins of Jeff Tracy's sons names. But I think they're something to do with astronauts. 

And a Happy Easter everyone 

13 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve just found this thread. I remember most but not Twizzle or  Supercar.

Anyone know;

the origin of the christian names of the 4 sons of Jeff?

the names of the actors voices in FFF?

No googling now !

Happy Easter Lexonians.

John Glenn is the only one I remember.

44 minutes ago, Mr Vlad said:

Haha John you took your time lol. No I can't remember the origins of Jeff Tracy's sons names. But I think they're something to do with astronauts. 

And a Happy Easter everyone 

Another out of this world answer Vlad🤣🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sherra said:

I remember them all but Twizzle seems to be the one that gets forgotten and Torchy the battery boy as the song goes.

I`ve no recollection of Twizzle, but "Torchy the Battery Boy" was the name given to Michael Edwardes (later Sir Michael) by the Union Reps when he arrived on Merseyside to visit the factories at Speke. He was of diminutive stature and so it was to them a suitable replacement for "Head and Shoulders" his previous nickname, attributed to the fact that the Union Reps only ever saw him on the Television.

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

I`ve no recollection of Twizzle, but "Torchy the Battery Boy" was the name given to Michael Edwardes (later Sir Michael) by the Union Reps when he arrived on Merseyside to visit the factories at Speke. He was of diminutive stature and so it was to them a suitable replacement for "Head and Shoulders" his previous nickname, attributed to the fact that the Union Reps only ever saw him on the Television.

Twizzle had amazing arms and legs that lengthened to enable him to, well, reach things! The next thing is you'll be saying you don't remember Aquamarina and oxygum!!

1 minute ago, The-Acre said:

Twizzle had amazing arms and legs that lengthened to enable him to, well, reach things! The next thing is you'll be saying you don't remember Aquamarina and oxygum!!

No, you `ve got me again Phil. Give us a clue !

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

No, you `ve got me again Phil. Give us a clue !

Aqua Marina was the puppet beauty in Stingray, and oxygum enabled the characters to chew their way underwater. I've tried it with Wrigley's but I can confirm it doesn't work, only oxygum will do it!

8bfd23e7a7aef605ac9e60d0ff180869.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Aqua Marina was the puppet beauty in Stingray, and oxygum enabled the characters to chew their way underwater. I've tried it with Wrigley's but I can confirm it doesn't work, only oxygum will do it!

8bfd23e7a7aef605ac9e60d0ff180869.jpg

Yes, I remember Aqua Marina,but not the Oxywotnot.

Have you googled 4 Feather Falls yet as the actors performing the voices are surprising (to me at least)

On 4/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, royoftherovers said:

Alan Shepard, Scott Carpenter, Virgil Grissom and John Glenn.

You forgot about Gordon (Thunderbird 4) named after Gordon Cooper.

They were all part of Project Mercury and were known as The Mercury Seven, the other two astronauts being Wally Schirra and Deke Slayton.

9 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

Yes, I remember Aqua Marina,but not the Oxywotnot.

Have you googled 4 Feather Falls yet as the actors performing the voices are surprising (to me at least)

Oh yes, I never knew that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Herbie said:

You forgot about Gordon (Thunderbird 4) named after Gordon Cooper.

They were all part of Project Mercury and were known as The Mercury Seven, the other two astronauts being Wally Schirra and Deke Slayton.

Quite right Herbie. My mistake. And I could have told you all of the names of all of the Original M7.My increasing senility.

JG was the first American to orbit the Planet. The Russians did it in one !

12 hours ago, The-Acre said:

and oxygum enabled the characters to chew their way underwater.

At the (justified) risk of being labelled a pedant, I think Oxygum was a feature of the Japanese 'Marine Boy' cartoon, which was from vaguely the latter part of the era you're talking of.

If you remember that cartoon, and were ever a fan of it, then it's worth finding any of the (film-length) Studio Ghibli cartoons of Hayao Miyazaki, if for no other reason than their charming animation, and also for being so wonderfully un-Disneylike!  Porco Rosso is a great way to pass the time in a lockdown.   My Neighbour Totoro is also well worth a look for some cheery Japanese weirdness.

Not up to the slick 'SuperMarionation' of Mr Anderson, and devoid of the techy, white-knuckle plots, but for children's TV genius, I must put in a mention for Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate.   So, The Clangers, Noggin the Nog, Ivor the Engine and Baguss (never a fan, but still) were mostly made in a disused cowshed in Peter Firmin's garden, apparently.  A bit too gentle for some, but excellent nonetheless.