Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driver parking aids on IS250 Mk 2 or later?

Can anyone tell me from what date (if any) the IS 250 started to be available with:

a) Radar cruise control for distance from car in front.

b) Parallel parking guide going forwards into space.

c) Full Park Assist.

If c) was never available what is the nearest, earliest model alternative to have it.  Big thanks to anyone who might know.

a) This was available from the launch of the 2IS, however it was a very rare option. 

b) The multimedia option with the reversing camera was available on all 2IS models again from launch. This gave you guidelines when reversing and also some kind of parallel parking lines, although I’m not entirely sure how these worked as side cameras were never an option.  No IS model came with forward guidance as a front camera was never an option either. 

c) No IS model was ever fitted with full parking assist.  I think the only model in the Lexus range to have this feature was the LS, although I’m not entirely sure which generation this was fitted to. Possibly the 3rd Gen model. I’m sure someone with more knowledge will come along soon. 

We had an IS 250 for 8 years and it was never a difficult car to park with the reversing camera and dipping wing mirrors on the SE-L model. 

• Like 1

a) ACC/PCS was an optional extra only available on the SE-L trim models - very rare.

c) what is your definition of full park assist? The Toyota Prius and LS460 (4th gen LS) from around 2006 were the only Toyota/Lexus vehicles that would steer themselves into a space sold in the UK - but the system is slow and cumbersome, it is really just a gimmick.

2 hours ago, ColinBarber said:

c) what is your definition of full park assist? The Toyota Prius and LS460 (4th gen LS) from around 2006 were the only Toyota/Lexus vehicles that would steer themselves into a space sold in the UK - but the system is slow and cumbersome, it is really just a gimmick.

Not really a gimmick on my little Mercedes A160 from 2009. Sometimes very useful to just let the car do the work and parallel park itself quickly and accurately if there are cars waiting impatiently behind!

12 hours ago, Hugh R said:

Not really a gimmick on my little Mercedes A160 from 2009. Sometimes very useful to just let the car do the work and parallel park itself quickly and accurately if there are cars waiting impatiently behind!

Well I don't know how well the system works on the Mercedes but you have to go so slow on the Toyota system that it will either cancel itself because you didn't crawl along or you will just take twice as long as parking manually.

The IS don't have this as an option.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Well I don't know how well the system works on the Mercedes but you have to go so slow on the Toyota system that it will either cancel itself because you didn't crawl along or you will just take twice as long as parking manually.

Mercedes will work at speeds up to 15mph I think - a perfectly reasonable reversing time.  Just that now and again I find it useful on the Merc.

Any idea what Lexus cars have this and when they started?  Although their system doesn't sound too wonderful.

11 minutes ago, Hugh R said:

Any idea what Lexus cars have this and when they started?  Although their system doesn't sound too wonderful.

The Lexus LS460 launched in 2006 has it. I believe the LS has been the only model to have it fitted. It will recognise a space the vehicle will fit in if you drive along below 12 mph. Once you engage the system and put it in reverse you have to keep you foot on the brake to keep the speed below 2.5 mph.

The latest version on the 2021 LS is completely autonomous (brakes, transmission, throttle as well as steering) and remembers common parking spaces to be faster and more accurate for places you regularly park in. But that is only standard on the £105k model.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links