Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Over 100 Flints in my tyres!

The NX-300H I just bought came from Lexus Cambridge is a year old. I noticed there were some stones trapped in the treads of the Yokohama Blue Earth Tyres. Looking closer I realised there were a lot - with more stuck in the offside tyres than the nearside.  I started removing them, realising then that the small stones were flint - see photo of one below... I must have removed over 100 in all!  Most were trapped in the grooves of the tyre, however around 20% were acutally embedded into the outer surface of the tyres. I used a small electrical screwdriver and a fine pair of pliers to extract them from the treads. Took me around an hour! 

I guess it's a problem in some parts of the country, were flint is part of the strata. I believe if I had left the flint in the tyres it may have eventually LED to punctures.  Do any Lexus drivers from East Anglia find this is a problem?

Best wishes

Phil 

Piece of flint from Lexus tyre.jpg

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Phil Catterall said:

The NX-300H I just bought came from Lexus Cambridge is a year old. I noticed there were some stones trapped in the treads of the Yokohama Blue Earth Tyres. Looking closer I realised there were a lot - with more stuck in the offside tyres than the nearside.  I started removing them, realising then that the small stones were flint - see photo of one below... I must have removed over 100 in all!  Most were trapped in the grooves of the tyre, however around 20% were acutally embedded into the outer surface of the tyres. I used a small electrical screwdriver and a fine pair of pliers to extract them from the treads. Took me around an hour! 

I guess it's a problem in some parts of the country, were flint is part of the strata. I believe if I had left the flint in the tyres it may have eventually led to punctures.  Do any Lexus drivers from East Anglia find this is a problem?

Best wishes

Phil 

Piece of flint from Lexus tyre.jpg

These are in fact Phil, arrowheads from the fairy folk who live in the fens 😂

• Haha 3

I doubt they would have resulted in punctures, after all the tyre is not just a rubber and I cannot see them going through kevlar and metal mesh. More likely just fly out at motorway speeds which is not ideal either as that could cause stone chips on your car and cars behind you. Not sure I would have bothered removing them to be honest as it sounds quite painstaking job.