Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

So excited with my first Lexus

Fortiswick

After  years of dithering I've finally taken the Lexus plunge and treated myself to a 2013 RX 45h Premier, seems to have all the bells and whistles I need without a surfeit of buttons or any OTT nanny tech..

First impressions:

I can see immediately why these are the best engineered mass produced production cars in the world. Sitting in it, it feels substantial and solid. I freely admit I sat in it parked up for nearly an hour soaking up the ambiance, listening to the best ICE I've ever heard in a production car  and playing with the controls (mainly the multimedia centre)

Once I got driving it feels positive and tight on the road, steering is spot on, no under or oversteer, light enough to rock through chicanes and no effort at all lock to lock, yet positive with enough feedback so you know exactly what its doing, the way this drives its hard to believe its a 2 ton bus, I have had a few double takes from other motorists when I hurl it into a tight bend without braking, I'm sure they expect it to roll, but  it corners on rails.

Its quick, very quick. With all the talk about CVT transmission needing gradual acceleration  and not happy with being booted  I took it out and booted it (come on there's a 3.5L V6 lurking under the bonnet). It took off like a sports car throwing me back in the seat and just kept on hard accelerating but so smooth it took me into 3 figure territory before I realised,  it was a genuine I swear I was doing 60 guv moment.

Not a real 4X4?  Manages to get me across muddy fields OK with standard cross climate boots on!

Cons

Its big, suddenly the drive is very narrow so a severe pruning of the hedges was in order.

Its a very firm  drive for a luxury car, my old Renault scenic dustbin was a smoother ride. I found that driving it on the low setting seems to give me a smoother experience.

This is probably the last car I will ever have before age stops me driving, so I will not get a chance to own any more.

Why did I waste all those years driving tin cans?

• Like 7

Hi Mike and welcome to Lexus ownership. Your write up on the RX450H is bang on. You should write for the motoring press. I totally agree with everything you said except the comfort. I had a 2012 f-sport and it's comfort was 10/10. By far the most comfy drive of all the 29 cars I've had so far and every car I've had has been top of its range. I miss my Rex but I don't need a big car anymore so my is250 is the love of my life.

Enjoy your car. Look after it and it'll look after you.

20 hours ago, Fortiswick said:

After  years of dithering I've finally taken the Lexus plunge and treated myself to a 2013 RX 45h Premier, seems to have all the bells and whistles I need without a surfeit of buttons or any OTT nanny tech..

First impressions:

I can see immediately why these are the best engineered mass produced production cars in the world. Sitting in it, it feels substantial and solid. I freely admit I sat in it parked up for nearly an hour soaking up the ambiance, listening to the best ICE I've ever heard in a production car  and playing with the controls (mainly the multimedia centre)

Once I got driving it feels positive and tight on the road, steering is spot on, no under or oversteer, light enough to rock through chicanes and no effort at all lock to lock, yet positive with enough feedback so you know exactly what its doing, the way this drives its hard to believe its a 2 ton bus, I have had a few double takes from other motorists when I hurl it into a tight bend without braking, I'm sure they expect it to roll, but  it corners on rails.

Its quick, very quick. With all the talk about CVT transmission needing gradual acceleration  and not happy with being booted  I took it out and booted it (come on there's a 3.5L V6 lurking under the bonnet). It took off like a sports car throwing me back in the seat and just kept on hard accelerating but so smooth it took me into 3 figure territory before I realised,  it was a genuine I swear I was doing 60 guv moment.

Not a real 4X4?  Manages to get me across muddy fields OK with standard cross climate boots on!

Cons

Its big, suddenly the drive is very narrow so a severe pruning of the hedges was in order.

Its a very firm  drive for a luxury car, my old Renault scenic dustbin was a smoother ride. I found that driving it on the low setting seems to give me a smoother experience.

This is probably the last car I will ever have before age stops me driving, so I will not get a chance to own any more.

They were not wasted Mike--they drove you into the arms of Lexus. Enjoy.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2021 at 8:10 PM, Fortiswick said:

....no under or oversteer....

Fortiswick old boy, you simply aren't trying hard enough.

Seriously though I think it's always a good idea to find out the limits of a new car, that way you have more of an idea of how it will handle if you ever need to take emergency avoiding action.

What car did you have before the RX?

I've always been a Vauxhall man, Cavalier CDX, Vectra 'B' CDX, and I've just kicked the Omega habit, I had somewhere between 20 to 30 of them....

Anyway, I hope you are able to enjoy your new car for many more years to come.

Cheers,

Rich.

Thanks to all for your welcome.

I fully intend to test the Lexus' limits once Covid restrictions are eased enough and I can get onto a legal space 😁

Rich asked about the car I have moved up from.

Cars I've had before,  so many from  a mini van  to a Rolls...... I started driving life in a Vauxhall Victor, moved through Austin Morris's, (best ever early car was an Austin Maxi) the obligatory Cortina. Along with marriage and a family  came the need for bigger cars so the Granada and Jag then Daimler came along, but I ended up with Mercedes, 8 different models, they went from one of the worlds best made cars to a pile of overrated junk and I swore I would never buy another .

I got rid of my last Merc when the starting motor failed and have been tooling around in my Renault scenic dustbin I ( it's for transporting dogs, and trips to the dump) until I spotted the RX 450h I wanted.

I had my share of Frenchie's and a few oddballs, biggest regret..... selling  my Citroen Pallas, biggest pile of junk Austin ( Leyland) princess wedge (and I had am Allegro). Car I really hated BMW..... Best car ever, I'm driving it now and I've had plenty to compare it against. 

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/9/2021 at 6:11 PM, Fortiswick said:

Thanks to all for your welcome.

I fully intend to test the Lexus' limits once Covid restrictions are eased enough and I can get onto a legal space 😁

Rich asked about the car I have moved up from.

Cars I've had before,  so many from  a mini van  to a Rolls...... I started driving life in a Vauxhall Victor, moved through Austin Morris's, (best ever early car was an Austin Maxi) the obligatory Cortina. Along with marriage and a family  came the need for bigger cars so the Granada and Jag then Daimler came along, but I ended up with Mercedes, 8 different models, they went from one of the worlds best made cars to a pile of overrated junk and I swore I would never buy another .

I got rid of my last Merc when the starting motor failed and have been tooling around in my Renault scenic dustbin I ( it's for transporting dogs, and trips to the dump) until I spotted the RX 450h I wanted.

I had my share of Frenchie's and a few oddballs, biggest regret..... selling  my Citroen Pallas, biggest pile of junk Austin ( Leyland) princess wedge (and I had am Allegro). Car I really hated BMW..... Best car ever, I'm driving it now and I've had plenty to compare it against. 

My Dad bought a Maxi new just out of warranty it developed a serious gearbox fault. The dealer didnt do anything to help him often reminds me of it. 

8 hours ago, ALAW said:

My Dad bought a Maxi new just out of warranty it developed a serious gearbox fault. The dealer didnt do anything to help him often reminds me of it. 

Brent,

If I remember correctly ALL Maxis had the gearbox fault designed into its Specification !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links