Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Broken Exhaust mount.

stormchaser

The other day when i had my Catloc fitted at the dealer i took them up on a free health check for the CT.

The fitter noticed i had a broken rear exhaust mount near the rear silencer.Lexus quoted me £595 to fit a new rear section which i declined as they,re only interested in fitting a complete part and not repairing it.

I.m going to get it welded back on at an independent garage i know who does exhaust fabrication.My question is will they have to just disconnect the small 12v Battery in the boot or will the traction Battery have to be disconnected also?

Is that the small plug in the boot?

IMG_0970.PNG

IMG_0971.PNG

IMG_0972.PNG

• Sad 1

I had a broken exhaust mount a couple of years ago. Lexus quoted me a similar price to replace. In the end, I took it to a local welder who fixed out for me, £30 iirc, he didn't disconnect any of the batteries, should he have?

When I had the car in for MOT in January, whilst performing the health check, they noticed that part of the exhaust shield had come away. I had a mechanic mate fit a Catloc-likee in February, and he couldn't see anything wrong with the exhaust shield. If Lexus mention it next time it goes in, I'll go and see the welder again.

Edit: It seems it was 3 years ago, I just found my post, you commented at the time stormchaser.

Edited by thar
Link
  • Like 1

Hard to understand how a £500.00 part starts to come apart due to poor preparation and welding skills, it’s mild steel, the weld should if done properly be stronger than the pipe!

On 4/4/2021 at 1:50 AM, stormchaser said:

I.m going to get it welded back on at an independent garage i know who does exhaust fabrication.My question is will they have to just disconnect the small 12v battery in the boot or will the traction battery have to be disconnected also?

Both the +ve and -ve connections to the hybrid Battery are electrically isolated when the vehicle is turned off so it isn't necessary. I cannot find any mention in the body repair manual to state the isolator needs to be removed for welding - only if you are working on the HV systems.

The main thing to make sure happens is the welding ground lead is connected as close to the welding as possible, actually on the exhaust. Connecting to the chassis for example would mean a circuit through the oxygen sensors/ECU 😱

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/7/2021 at 7:42 PM, thar said:

I had a broken exhaust mount a couple of years ago. Lexus quoted me a similar price to replace. In the end, I took it to a local welder who fixed out for me, £30 iirc, he didn't disconnect any of the batteries, should he have?

When I had the car in for MOT in January, whilst performing the health check, they noticed that part of the exhaust shield had come away. I had a mechanic mate fit a Catloc-likee in February, and he couldn't see anything wrong with the exhaust shield. If Lexus mention it next time it goes in, I'll go and see the welder again.

Edit: It seems it was 3 years ago, I just found my post, you commented at the time stormchaser.

Its strange how yours went in exactly the same place as mine.Maybe a weak point on these?

Our videos are almost identical.I,m yet to sort out mine to be welded as it,s not causing any harm or noise.

All HV cables run within orange colour conduit. If any work is to be done nearby, it is recommended as a safety precaution, to remove safety plug from the HV traction Battery.

If any electric welding will be carried out, it is recommended to remove both 12v Battery poles and disconnect the ground cable from the engine and gearbox.

Even so the possibility of some welding current cannot be excluded finding its way through the ground cables of the electronic equipment of the car thereby causing a catastrophic damage. I would use a non electric welding method.

Chris.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this.

I didn,t go down the welding route with this so i had a new rear section fitted today at a Lexus dealer.They done me a good deal on it and gave me 15% discount plus another 15% discount with the Lexus Owners Club card.

Great service from Lexus Hedge End again.Whilst waiting i also bought the wife a Toyota Aygo from the adjoining Toyota dealership.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links