Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi... 

Any info on 18 inch tyre sizes would be appreciated.. I have acquired some great spider 18" wheels but tyres on them are 45 profile... 

As this is not standard to original 40...was wondering, if has anybody used this setup... Any advice..? 

thanks 

hi Scudney.... 

thanks for the reply... 

that is the factory setup I believe... 

the tyres on these wheels are 225.45.18 fr... and 255.45.18 rr.. 

So was wondering abt weather to stick to factory or try this setup...?? 

Regards 

I would think that your speedo would be slightly out with the 45 set up,then again the pervious owner probably went for the 45 set up because 255.40.18 tyres can be pretty expensive 🤔

I got my car with 225/40/18 on all wheels and it was obvious that the rear tires were too thin for the rims, though the car was handling fine.

I'm now waiting on some new 225/40/18 and 255/40/18, however, the price difference between 225 and 255 is quite significant.

Still, I would assume that it's best tyres as specified by the manufacturer.

25 minutes ago, Balrog said:

that is the factory setup I believe... 

the tyres on these wheels are 225.45.18 fr... and 255.45.18 rr.. 

So was wondering abt weather to stick to factory or try this setup...?? 

The factory set up works pretty well, I can confirm.  But as John just pointed out, changing the aspect ratio may have a slight effect on speedo reading.

More significantly, by using tyres with a deeper and thus more flexible sidewall you will alter the ride and handling characteristics.  So the tyre may provide a slightly more comfortable ride, but that will be at the expense of its ability to provide the same degree of effective cornering.

All tyre characteristics are essentially a trade off of different qualities.  So how you drive is possibly the most important deciding factor.

Hey... thanks All... 

puts a better light on the subject... 

I think I will stick to factory setup as spec... 

Any shouts on tyres brands would be helpful... 

I find Bridgestone's to be a bit noisy... 🤔

I ordered the Pirelli P-zero PZ4 which are supposed to be quiet at 69db, though I've yet to confirm if they are quieter than my previous Bridgestones.

17 minutes ago, Balrog said:

And with one bound you leap straight into another minefield. 😄

I changed the Yokos I got it with for new Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5s.  And have been very happy with their performance.  Excellent wet weather grip, which is my personal priority, as well as excellent dry road handling. A quiet and comfortable ride, too.

So they would be my recommendation.

But other opinions are available!

9 hours ago, Balrog said:

Hey... thanks All... 

puts a better light on the subject... 

45s would be fine, in terms of scraping or overall fitment. Yes it is not factory, but should not have any noticeable impact. The speedometer would show 3.7% less, but in my experience IS mk2 overstates easily by 10%, so with these tyres it would still overstate speed by at least 6%.

As for tyres I would recommend - Dunlop RT2 or Goodyear Asymmetric 5, I found them to be just best balance between price and performance and IS250 not being very powerful car, the performance is more than enough.