Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This is my 'new' car.

Obviously it came with a few issues but overall I'm quite pleased with it, it does level out but the pump is having to work too hard to keep it flat.

I'm trying to upload 15.5 mb file but keeps coming up error code 200, I should probably look in the faq section but too busy right now...

...a picture showing how it should sit.

Yesterday I stripped out the passenger side rear wheel arch area to try and find some valve, nothing there but it did give me a chance to remove some of the crud that builds up, I was impressed by how solid the car is...

I also had a close look at the strut it's self and sprayed soapy water everywhere, no obvious sign of a leak.

The following picture shows the archliner, there are 5, 10 m.m. nuts that are hard to see, three across the front edge and two on the top, you can see the big circles in the sound absorbing pad...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UW5kAI6CjomUoOjhpJRfwmgBD6sPEAzW/view?usp=drivesdk

• Like 1

Just finished removing the o/s r wheel arch liner to clean and also inspect the strut, also checked the pipe work and the rear distribution valve, all appear leak free.

I plan on removing the underbody plastic covers to check the pipes running along the body but I don't expect to find any issues...

9 minutes ago, Brik said:

Just finished removing the o/s r wheel arch liner to clean and also inspect the strut, also checked the pipe work and the rear distribution valve, all appear leak free.

I plan on removing the underbody plastic covers to check the pipes running along the body but I don't expect to find any issues...

The normal height for the rear is 27-27.5" from the ground to the wheel arch, that's the centre line.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, messi said:

If the air struts are okay, then it could be the rear height sensors at fault

The rear suspension does inflate when the engine is started, the system also reacts to the different modes as selected from the dash switches, it just deflates at the rear within 5-10 minutes of switching off.

On another note I had the a/c re-gassed today and the man only wanted to put in 650g, I mentioned that I had read it should be closer to 950 for cars with rear a/c and he checked another source to confirm! He also said that his machine had recovered no gas from my car so I guess there maybe a leak from somewhere, although for now it's blowing icy cold.

• Thanks 1

Yes the rear air con will stop working, that's another issue with the ls430, and also the gearbox will stop working too, unless you replace the radiator or fit an separate cooler. 

With regards to the air suspension, to save a headache, take it out and replace it with decent coilovers 

1 hour ago, messi said:

With regards to the air suspension, to save a headache, take it out and replace it with decent coilovers 

I've been looking at BC coilovers for £787.55 but don't want to ruin the ride, I would rather try and find where ever the leak is coming from and keep the car standard.

https://www.driftworks.com/bc-coilovers-for-lexus-ls430-00-07.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwsLWDBhCmARIsAPSL3_3GOLwx7fPPhxfUBg9L9KfyVGUiPd9ABUvKJflrtK_9owGsqYkCObIaAt1UEALw_wcB

• Thanks 1

Golly !

I hope I don't lose use of the rear fridge, need it for keeping the champagne cool.

Why degrade a fabulous riding car , famous for the silent air ride , by sticking springs on it?

......wont it shake up the champagne by the way?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LexusRbest said:

Golly !

I hope I don't lose use of the rear fridge, need it for keeping the champagne cool.

Why degrade a fabulous riding car , famous for the silent air ride , by sticking springs on it?

......wont it shake up the champagne by the way?

I really don't believe the air suspension offers anything over springs.  In fact, after having two LS400's and then changing to a 430 with air I felt the ride was harder. Then I bought another LS430 and it was the same. They all have double wishbone suspension, that's what helps give a good ride. Mine now has springs and I think it's just as good as before but without the potential issues.

11 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I really don't believe the air suspension offers anything over springs.  In fact, after having two LS400's and then changing to a 430 with air I felt the ride was harder. Then I bought another LS430 and it was the same. They all have double wishbone suspension, that's what helps give a good ride. Mine now has springs and I think it's just as good as before but without the potential issues.

I agree.  I have two LS400. One with air suspension and one without. No noticeable difference in my opinion other than Air suspension handling load without sagging. The air suspension on my 1998 is problem free and it seems it has never been repaired. BUT if it starts failing I will consider doing the swap to coil springs. 

• Like 1

If all you want is to waft along a motorway, then coil springs/struts are good enough.

If you want better cornering, flatter riding, and better tracking (keeping the tyre in contact with the road) then the air-suspension system is superior in just about every way. The only downside to the air suspension is it's complexity and by extension it's reliability.
I agree with Lexus that the air suspension is superior in almost every way over the coil spring, at least for that era.
More modern systems can be better but in my experience they tend to be harsher riding.

Before buying my LS, I test drove a couple of late model coil sprung 400s, an early 430 (air), 2 facelift 430s (both air) and a 460 (air) and the best handling was without doubt the facelift air suspended 430s. The 460 was nice but felt vague and remote.

14 minutes ago, BigBoomer said:

If all you want is to waft along a motorway, then coil springs/struts are good enough.

If you want better cornering, flatter riding, and better tracking (keeping the tyre in contact with the road) then the air-suspension system is superior in just about every way. The only downside to the air suspension is it's complexity and by extension it's reliability.
I agree with Lexus that the air suspension is superior in almost every way over the coil spring, at least for that era.
More modern systems can be better but in my experience they tend to be harsher riding.

Before buying my LS, I test drove a couple of late model coil sprung 400s, an early 430 (air), 2 facelift 430s (both air) and a 460 (air) and the best handling was without doubt the facelift air suspended 430s. The 460 was nice but felt vague and remote.

The newest Lexus I have ever driven is my current 55 plate LS430  - I am getting an inkling where I want to upgrade to something newer, saying that I also want a few more (additiomal) tech option such as dab radio, HUD and heated steering.

Taking my budget into consideration the NX300H seems to almost tick all the boxes - but I do wonder how smooth and quite they are.

I have also somtimes considered just stayng with the LS line up and go for an LS600h  . . . . . .

8 hours ago, BigBoomer said:

If you want better cornering, flatter riding, and better tracking (keeping the tyre in contact with the road) then the air-suspension system is superior....

I think you are confusing what tracking is.

There was an interesting reply earlier on this Topic.   I didn't realise that the clearance on rear wheel arch should be 27 to 27.5 inches.  For some time now, my rear end felt solid going over speed bumps etc.  Nothing concerned me about it, but just checked my rear clearance and its 28 inches.  

I will now get the rear height adjusters reset and drop height to 27 inches and hopefully return to the silky smooth ride which is normally enjoyed by rear seat passengers (after lockdown).

14 hours ago, Brik said:

I think you are confusing what tracking is.

I am aware that the term "Tracking" is normally used for having the wheels correctly aligned, toed, castered, and cambered, which is why in this case I explained what I actually meant.
I can't find the term used for keeping the tyre in contact with the road, which is one of the most important jobs of your suspension.
Anyone know it?