Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rear drivers side speakers not working

Hi All

I have a problem with my rear drivers side speakers not working, the tweeter is working but the other two are not.

I have taken the door card off and checked the connection which is fine.

Any idea what this could be?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks Richard

You should disconnect the speaker and measure its resistance across the two terminals which should be around 4 ohms.

The tweeter is connected to a separate output on the amp to the low and mid range drivers so it could be an issue with the amp or wiring from it in the boot to the door.

1 minute ago, ColinBarber said:

You should disconnect the speaker and measure its resistance across the two terminals which should be around 4 ohms.

The tweeter is connected to a separate output on the amp to the low and mid range drivers so it could be an issue with the amp or wiring from it in the boot to the door.

Colin, maybe you can answer my question as well. My Volvo has a similar issue, the driver's door speaker works, just, but the sound is quiet and tinny like a tweeter.  I've connected a good speaker to it but it's the same.  So should I get a similar reading of around 4 ohms if I use a multimeter?

11 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

So should I get a similar reading of around 4 ohms if I use a multimeter?

4 ohms is the most common impedance for car speakers but could be between 2 and 8 ohms - the speaker may have it written on the back. But the fact that you have tried another speaker suggests it is a problem is elsewhere - such is the headunit/amp or a tweeter if it is connected in parallel to the main door speaker.

If your vehicle has sat nav then it is possible that only the driver's door speaker is used for voice commands and therefore extra circuity could be in play (this is how old Lexus vehicles used it operate).

All this is assuming your fader/balance controls aren't just taking that speaker's output down to almost nothing 😉 

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

4 ohms is the most common impedance for car speakers but could be between 2 and 8 ohms - the speaker may have it written on the back. But the fact that you have tried another speaker suggests it is a problem is elsewhere - such is the headunit/amp or a tweeter if it is connected in parallel to the main door speaker.

If your vehicle has sat nav then it is possible that only the driver's door speaker is used for voice commands and therefore extra circuity could be in play (this is how old Lexus vehicles used it operate).

All this is assuming your fader/balance controls aren't just taking that speaker's output down to almost nothing 😉 

Thanks for that, I'll test it and see what it puts out.  The wiring does join with the tweeter and the satnav and front parking sensors and phone all come through that one speaker.

On 4/4/2021 at 2:53 PM, ColinBarber said:

Thank you Colin, I shall do this some time this week.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links