Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chaps

I’m at my wits end with this so hopeful someone’s come across it before. My drivers window was always slow and started to stop half way down. I put it down to the old motor on the way out. I ordered a used one from the LS430 spares guy on eBay that everyone recommends.

Spent hours on Good Friday replacing this and the lock actuator for the same door. Horrible couple of jobs. But nonetheless it worked perfectly, with the exception of the inside weather strip being loose and getting caught on the window, which I’ll have to replace next. But for the sake of testing the window I held the strip back and the window went up and down like new. 
Left it until today, as I have the same two issues on the OS rear door. So done the replacements on that door today. Much easier, completed it after an hour or so. Anyway after bolting it all back together, with a sense of pride I tested all windows.. and low and behold the front drivers window does the exact same thing again! Goes down slow and then stops half way!!! 
I have a new switch on the way, as they’re pretty cheap, but I’m very sceptical as usually a switch issue would mean it wouldn’t open at all. 
Anyone come across this? Anything I’m missing? Really cba to strip it all down and investigate again!    

12 hours ago, Micholas said:

Chaps

I’m at my wits end with this so hopeful someone’s come across it before. My drivers window was always slow and started to stop half way down. I put it down to the old motor on the way out. I ordered a used one from the LS430 spares guy on eBay that everyone recommends.

Spent hours on Good Friday replacing this and the lock actuator for the same door. Horrible couple of jobs. But nonetheless it worked perfectly, with the exception of the inside weather strip being loose and getting caught on the window, which I’ll have to replace next. But for the sake of testing the window I held the strip back and the window went up and down like new. 
Left it until today, as I have the same two issues on the OS rear door. So done the replacements on that door today. Much easier, completed it after an hour or so. Anyway after bolting it all back together, with a sense of pride I tested all windows.. and low and behold the front drivers window does the exact same thing again! Goes down slow and then stops half way!!! 
I have a new switch on the way, as they’re pretty cheap, but I’m very sceptical as usually a switch issue would mean it wouldn’t open at all. 
Anyone come across this? Anything I’m missing? Really cba to strip it all down and investigate again!    

The problem is not the motor it is the slides that need silicone spray applying ,over time the slides dry out and grip the glass like a vice in the groove . 

I have answered the question in the quote of your submission but for the camera I will do so again 

The slides are drying out and the rubber grips the glass like a vice ,apply silicone spray to the grooves as the window travels up and down and the problem will disappear.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I do remember when I bought my first LS400 that the previous owner said he replaced a couple of window switches because they were slow.  If the silicone doesn't work it may be worth a try as they are cheap and easy to replace.

• Like 1

Silicon spray down the window guides with glass all the way down should be on the annual maintainence list of all cherished car owners.

I do it same time as the sunroof guides, silicon spray and wipe and check sunroof drains .

then just to check ,run windows and sunroof fully open and then close them individually , holding the switch after window has closed for a few seconds longer to reset its ‘brain’ for auto close.

• Like 3

Thanks guys appreciate the advice. I will give this a go this evening. Whilst on the subject, that middle strip is causing me a lot of grief. I thought it was a separate strip that I could just replace, but it’s actually a part of the whole rubber window run system which is all one part and connected. See below 

379BBBAC-30AF-47EA-B726-545DB4653A20.thumb.jpeg.a0083f88768bfe83ef8481139c87ff2c.jpeg

That horizontal middle strip is being dragged down by the window. I’m thinking it’s because the metal rivets aren’t holding it down anymore see below.. but the strip on the rear OS door is in exactly the same condition with the rivets missing it, but I have no issues there.

Any suggestions other than completely stripping the door and fitting a whole new rubber window run?

6BDDFB73-38F2-4418-BB78-5D207C0F064D.thumb.jpeg.99430ec8fdd763ddd4dfec7e445608ab.jpeg

AD07564E-AB07-43DE-94CA-2604E4083719.thumb.jpeg.bf6062faa269e5cffa04468df3676033.jpeg

The rivets breaking through the trim shouldn’t happen in normal use and suggest misalignment of the window due to constant flexing , OR that it has been removed previously.

Its hard to see from pics but could the door have sustained accident damage and been repaired and the trims not re-riveted. Looking at front corner end of the trim looks like it is misplaced.It also looks like it is a separate trim from the  window rubber. It may be worth comparing it to a fresh used part.

The kink in the metal under the black circlular sticker near control unit box could mean the inner panelwork of the door is deformed  and needs a pull away from the glass by putting a couple of hooked implements over it and realigning it with a good pull.Try a straight edge along it to check.

Looking at the upright tab  cupped bit in the middle of the trim , the chips in the finish suggest the door card has to hook OVER it , but the marks look like the door card has been pushing against it, pushing the trim against window.

TBH I haven't had a Lexus door apart but BMW door cards have to hook over that trim then swing down .

The misalignment may also caused by the side glass guides that are bolted to the inner skin of the door, causing the guides to pinch the glass as it moves.

I would try loosening them, one side at a time, to see if the glass ran easier.

I have also seen a large branch being used to give the car a good thrashing,

it may not fix the window problem but may make you feel better!

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, LexusRbest said:

I have also seen a large branch being used to give the car a good thrashing,

it may not fix the window problem but may make you feel better!

Haha I think this option sounds best! 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links