Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Jump Starting Everyday IS300H 2014 Can it damage anything?

I am currently struggling to get a new Battery from main dealer and elsewhere as where.  

Have tried almost all options and no dates as to when can I get new Battery. Have already back ordered with dealer !

I am jump starting with power pack every morning as Battery doesn't hold charge for even 3-4 hours. T

Question is can it damage anything like hybrid Battery or anything else if I keep on jump starting every morning? 

The other option seems to work is if i leave the Battery on charge all night  via CTEK and then start from a charged Battery , not sure how much much electric it suck if i am charging every night and will it be heavy of electric bill or is it not much? 

Thanks 

i have just done a search at eurocar parts in hampshire

and they seem to have them in stock now

i dont think its an AGm though but it will keep you going until

your new lexus Battery arrives

the euro carparts lion 063 Battery is £64.99 if it keeps you on the

move then i think its worth the cost ,and once the AGM Battery

is fitted you'll have a spare Battery in case you ever need to jump start

your car or someone else's car

remember you DONT jump start another car from a hybrid car it can

cause damage to the hybrid car.

• Like 2

If done correctly jump starting shouldn't really damage anything, but charging the Battery via Battery tender would be better and safer option. I cannot say how much electricity that would use (I don't think it would be much if noticeable at all), but in either case it will be significantly less than accidentally damaging something when jump starting.

Secondly, there is large choice of aftermarket batteries which are both cheaper and better than OE, so I would worry about waiting for stock to be available from dealership - just order compatible Battery from any shop.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, 200h said:

i have just done a search at eurocar parts in hampshire

and they seem to have them in stock now

i dont think its an AGm though but it will keep you going until

your new lexus battery arrives

the euro carparts lion 063 battery is £64.99 if it keeps you on the

move then i think its worth the cost ,and once the AGM battery

is fitted you'll have a spare battery in case you ever need to jump start

your car or someone else's car

remember you DONT jump start another car from a hybrid car it can

cause damage to the hybrid car.

Many Thanks how are finding "lion 063 battery" is correct Battery? because when I am searching I am getting no suitable batteries 

May be due to AGM ? 

Screenshot 2021-04-05 at 14.12.40.png

22 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

If done correctly jump starting shouldn't really damage anything, but charging the battery via battery tender would be better and safer option. I cannot say how much electricity that would use (I don't think it would be much if noticeable at all), but in either case it will be significantly less than accidentally damaging something when jump starting.

Secondly, there is large choice of aftermarket batteries which are both cheaper and better than OE, so I would worry about waiting for stock to be available from dealership - just order compatible battery from any shop.

Many Thanks tried calling and searching online but can't find "compatible battery". Any suggestions... 

18 minutes ago, Linas.P said:

If done correctly jump starting shouldn't really damage anything,

I have to take issue with that Linas.

The only thing that can really be done incorrectly is to reverse the polarity, but as long as you pay attention to what you're doing, that should never really be a problem. The main issue here is if the recipient car tries to draw more current than the hybrid's DC/DC converter can supply.

An alternator on a conventional car can provide far more current, some of them up to 300A. If that sort of demand was put on a hybrid DC/DC converter it could possibly all end up in very expensive tears. Of course, you may get away with it but is it worth the risk? Personally, I think not.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LovingLexus said:

Many Thanks how are finding "lion 063 battery" is correct battery? because when I am searching I am getting no suitable batteries 

It won't tell you that it's a "suitable" Battery because, according to their systems, it isn't. It's like medical drugs being licenced for one use but then they find it's also useful for something else although it's not been licenced for that use yet.

I think what Mark means is that it's the correct physical size to fit in the Battery tray and it has the terminals the correct way round. If that's the case then it will work and do the job, even though it's not the 'correct' Battery for the car. It's just a short-term workaround to keep your car on the road until the dealer rings you to say that they have your 'proper' Battery in stock.

30 minutes ago, Herbie said:

I have to take issue with that Linas.

In defence of Linas... !

I got the impression that he was responding to the first post about multiple jump starts. He then goes on to talk about electricity consumption which is also in the first post.

Unfortunately, his reply comes after the next post which advises against using a hybrid to jump start a conventional car. So it looks as though he's saying there's no problem with this.

Maybe I'm wrong and he'll come back and say he was responding to the second post!

As for the multiple jump starts - correct me if I'm wrong - but you were just about to say that 12 volts is 12 volts and the car doesn't know where it's coming from. So it's fine. As for the hybrid Battery, I believe it's completely isolated until the car is in Ready mode.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbie said:

It won't tell you that it's a "suitable" battery because, according to their systems, it isn't. It's like medical drugs being licenced for one use but then they find it's also useful for something else although it's not been licenced for that use yet.

I think what Mark means is that it's the correct physical size to fit in the battery tray and it has the terminals the correct way round. If that's the case then it will work and do the job, even though it's not the 'correct' battery for the car. It's just a short-term workaround to keep your car on the road until the dealer rings you to say that they have your 'proper' battery in stock.

Thanks so on a separate note what is the advantage of AGM , why  not use the normal on long term.

8 minutes ago, LovingLexus said:

Thanks so on a separate note what is the advantage of AGM , why  not use the normal on long term.

Advantages are twofold (maybe more):

1. If the Battery is in the boot like it is in the RX, it's effectively in the cabin. If the car rolls over in an accident the acid is held in gel form in the glass matting and can't leak out and possibly come into contact with the occupants of the cabin.

2. AGM batteries can handle a deeper discharge without being damaged [as much as a wet Battery would be].

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Advantages are twofold (maybe more):

1. If the battery is in the boot like it is in the RX, it's effectively in the cabin. If the car rolls over in an accident the acid is held in gel form in the glass matting and can't leak out and possibly come into contact with the occupants of the cabin.

2. AGM batteries can handle a deeper discharge without being damaged [as much as a wet battery would be].

Thankyou ....

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

It might take him some considerable time Mark, as he`s probably trying to work out his likely bonus for y/e 2020.🤣

I can report that bonus was ok 🙂

3 hours ago, Thackeray said:

I got the impression that he was responding to the first post about multiple jump starts. He then goes on to talk about electricity consumption which is also in the first post.

Yes that is right - I meant jump starting the hybrid is ok as long as done correctly, but it is safer to use Battery tender rather than take risk (whatever small) jumpstarting it everyday.

I agree that trying to jump start another car from hybrid is very bad idea, but in this case it is not even viable as it is the hybrid which has dead Battery

• Like 2