Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Overheating/AC problem

Jeffg814

Has anyone on here ever experienced this?

IS220d 2011; The AC has been playing up recently with mainly only blowing very cold air whether the AC is turned on or not and in whatever temp it was set for, great when it was warm outside, not so much when cold. Sometimes when I turned the AC off hot air did come through but not for very long. This afternoon driving from Bristol to Worcester the engine temp gauge was all over the place, quickly got to “normal” as it always does but then on the M5 whenever I accelerated hard to overtake it quickly climbed to just below the red and then settled back down to just above “normal” when I eased off a bit! Before today the gauge was only ever on “normal”, never climbed above it.

I’m thinking the thermostat might have failed in the closed position, hence the rapid rise and fall of the temp gauge and the AC not working, but any other ideas/causes would be greatly appreciated.

29 minutes ago, Jeffg814 said:

the thermostat might have failed 

The above would be my only guess. As well you better off solving it ASAP, because overheating can quickly cause head-gasket failure.

I’ve got a new thermostat coming Saturday so will change it out anyway.......any idea where it is on the engine? I’ve looked at a couple of posts but can’t seem to pin it down 😞

16 hours ago, Linas.P said:

It is under water inlet on the engine. Are you doing it yourself or taking it somewhere to be done?

image.thumb.png.50fc557a0364baf6a329d152a84d049a.png

thanks for the pictures.....helps a lot 😎

8 minutes ago, Jeffg814 said:

I’ll be doing it myself 🤞

It would be good for you to get service manual then as there are quite few steps, including draining the coolant etc. which would be required for this. And some other steps like removing parts of EGR which are not at all what one would expect to do for thermostat change.

Sadly, they are not available, most of good manual are behind the pay wall, but you may be able to find some for free on google. I was able to find .iso based manual myself, but sadly I cannot share it here as it is copyrighted.